Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 08:56 PM

609 posts, read 506,241 times

Advertisements

Been in corporate America for over 20 years and have always had health insurance either through employer or through ex wife.
Planning to quit my corporate work next year and work for myself. I'm setting up an LLC for this.
Anyone has good advice on good health insurance options? I'm between 45 and 50 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 04:55 AM

674 posts, read 609,302 times
The ACA will soon be open for enrollment from Nov 1 to Dec 15, for 2018. I'd go there and poke around to see if there's a suitable plan. And since you're leaving your Big-Corp job, you may even qualify for subsidies since they are based on income level.

You can also call up healthcare brokers, there are plenty of them around. Most of them are compensated by steering you towards specific plans, so caveat emptor.

Remember you have ~20 years to go before Medicare, and God knows how the health insurance landscape will change in-between. Health insurance is something I wouldn't go without. My daughter had a rare condition 3 years ago which would have bankrupted me, if not for insurance.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:17 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,329,700 times
I'll bet there tons of "entrepreneur wantabees" who remain chained to the big employer hamster wheel solely due to a need for health insurance.

The problem with relying on ACA is that nobody knows its future.

Sticking with a job you hate solely to have health insurance is anything but freedom.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:21 PM

609 posts, read 506,241 times
Thanks all for the answers.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:32 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,548,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
The ACA will soon be open for enrollment from Nov 1 to Dec 15, for 2018. I'd go there and poke around to see if there's a suitable plan. And since you're leaving your Big-Corp job, you may even qualify for subsidies since they are based on income level.

You can also call up healthcare brokers, there are plenty of them around. Most of them are compensated by steering you towards specific plans, so caveat emptor.

Remember you have ~20 years to go before Medicare, and God knows how the health insurance landscape will change in-between. Health insurance is something I wouldn't go without. My daughter had a rare condition 3 years ago which would have bankrupted me, if not for insurance.

The Bronze Plan premiums have gone up quite a bit in the last six months.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:46 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,770,638 times
Effectively, none. Plan on at least $15k/year for fairly crappy coverage. Hope your new endeavor makes a lot more than that.

Old 04-26-2019, 01:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
What worked for me was having a spouse cover me through her employer plan. During the time when she was not working I was paying an exorbitant amount for a private plan, over $700/month for whole family and that was in the 1990s. Rates are a lot more now yet it's only you, so I wouldn't think it would be that bad. At the time that was the lowest rate I could find, through the NFIB (was a member).

Old 04-26-2019, 02:09 PM

I'm in much the same boat as the OP (and I now note this is a zombie thread; fachrissakes I wish vBulletin or some developer would write a mod that flags old threads!) and even with much experience in negotiating corporate insurance for many employees, finding insurance for a family/business situation during the pre-ACA years and navigating the messy world of ACA insurance, I don't know of any good solutions for the solo, self-employed person. The tiers of ACA support are simply not structured for a person making a moderate amount of money on their own. If there's any option that can even laughingly be called "good," I haven't found it.

Old 04-26-2019, 03:10 PM

9,870 posts, read 7,747,075 times
We belong to a healthcare sharing ministry as do many other self employed and early retired people from our church.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
We belong to a healthcare sharing ministry as do many other self employed and early retired people from our church.
There are some 'industry' groups out there, yes. But most are as narrow and specialized as this, with some aspect of group charity or charitable support involved.

Joe Q. Entrepreneur is dangling in the wind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment