Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 12:06 PM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
I’m guessing this is only temporary until they can further increase automation.
The majority of all jobs both white and blue collar, are temporary until AI eventually takes them over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 12:09 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Good for them.

It's nice to see corporations being proactive in helping out a segment of the population that has been treated harshly and unfairly in the work force (age discrimination, etc.).

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mcdon...173251645.html
Indeed, it's just so altruistic for corporate America to offer to hire senior citizens after they essentially killed off pensions.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:09 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
I’m guessing this is only temporary until they can further increase automation.
That's about it.

Harry Harrison had a fully automated "McDonald's" in one of his later novels. It was just an absurdist backdrop but I have no doubt readers in another 20 years will fail to understand the satire.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:39 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
That's about it.

Harry Harrison had a fully automated "McDonald's" in one of his later novels. It was just an absurdist backdrop but I have no doubt readers in another 20 years will fail to understand the satire.
Wouldn't this be the evolution of the old Automats?

Old 04-29-2019, 12:45 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Wouldn't this be the evolution of the old Automats?
Automats had human cooks/servers behind the windows, and humans cleaning the tables etc. All that was automated was purchase of each item.

Every function in a McD's could be installed right now - factory food production has automated or almost wholly automated systems that will do every step. It's mostly a matter of adapting that tech to more individualized, on-demand functions rather than turning out, say, 5000 burgers to be frozen at once.

No question it's coming, in particular for locations like malls and airports.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:29 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,552,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The majority of all jobs both white and blue collar, are temporary until AI eventually takes them over.
But I’m 5 years or less to automate the restaurants to the point where there are only two or so employees. It will be longer for skilled workers and white collared workers.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:42 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Older workers tend to have a low threshold for stupidity, obnoxious people, and lack of common sense. Keeping these old timers from telling off the customers seems to me to be the biggest challenge McDonald's will face. You get some customer in the face of a little old lady just trying to do her job and she's going to get, shall we say, a little salty. Especially if the employee doesn't actually need the job. McDonald's better hold on to their hats.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:47 PM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Older workers tend to have a low threshold for stupidity, obnoxious people, and lack of common sense. Keeping these old timers from telling off the customers seems to me to be the biggest challenge McDonald's will face. You get some customer in the face of a little old lady just trying to do her job and she's going to get, shall we say, a little salty. Especially if the employee doesn't actually need the job. McDonald's better hold on to their hats.
This is not true on the slightest. Older people are respectful on the job and came up at s time when customer service was five star. They would likely be more patient and deferential to customers.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:18 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Great to see.
indeed.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:21 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I'm about to turn 70 and (hopefully) temporarily sidelined by a health issue which might soon be resolved. I want to work again, but in a capacity where I work with educated adults, deal with well-defined issues, and can see them resolved through our efforts.
This would be ideal.

Regulation in this country is so counterproductive. On one hand we say that we shouldn't discriminate by age (which is how it should be)... on another hand, we make hiring older people unnecessarily expensive. It's a shame, really.

We should position employers to hire the best person for the job. Often, that's the older, wiser, more experienced individual. Other times, it's the younger, stronger, more energetic person. None of these traits are exclusive, of course, but are generally aligned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment