Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 04:51 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,739,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I wasn't specifically referring to OP's environment. That said, one's perspective is also a factor. We're getting a picture that is painted by the OP. Not saying he's lying or making things up. But we all look at things differently. Just as you immediately went with the company bait and switched the OP, which could be 100% true. Or, maybe it was just a miscommunication.

Point is - this may be a high-pressure environment that is not really suited for those that are more reserved. Thus, it may actually be the opposite of a culture for doormats. It may actually be more suited for those that don't take crap.

It's true 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 05:29 PM

102,185 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I realize that jobs are at will. That said, can bosses be abusive? It may not be a legal question, but just something you have to think about when deciding to leave an employer.

My example is this. I wrote about it some before. I interviewed for a job, trained, then was given a 180 degree different schedule than I applied for.

I simply questioned this and was not given work for a week, was told I said something completely different in an email, but didn't dare refute it, due to the angry nature of the communication.

Emails get sent out on my days off, with questions, demands for immediate responses and threats of suspension for not following new rules. Then text sent out demanding that I respond to the emails on my days off when I didn't do so as quickly as they would like.

I get it. Employers are free to be a - holes. But it seems to me to be abusive. I have been tempted for a short time to just walk on eggshells and did that to buy time. It sucked.

But luckily other much better opportunities came about and I just emailed them boldly and said "I quit" due to the above.

It seems like employer abuse is very similar to abuse in personal lives, but people feel trapped and have to put up with it.

Is this not abuse or just plain wrong: being deceived or given the bait and switch, being gas lighted, being threatened to lose a job over just the possibility of not complying to new rules, and having demanding text sent on days off to reply to work related emails when an hourly employee.

I've worked lots of places and never experienced anything like this.
If any disciplinary action was taken against you for not responding to emails on your days off as an hourly, you could take that to HR, saying you were out of town and out of internet range, so you didn't see the message until Sunday evening. They couldn't possibly hold that over you, as an hourly. If they tried to, you could probably get the Labor Board involved.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:54 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Abusive bosses are insecure. Secure people don't need to be a*holes to get results. People are more productive when they enjoy coming to work.

I worked someplace where a senior manager pulled rank all the time. You could tell being in that position was the highlight of their miserable existence. I was minding my business one day (as usual), and they came to pick a bone with me just as I was ending my shift. The minute it was time for me to go, here they come trying to "troubleshoot" a problem they created. I'll never forget standing up to them and speaking in a calm manner, calling them on their BS in the most professional way possible. Their voice got lower and lower each time they responded to something I said. I already didn't have respect for this person, but in that moment I knew what a complete and utter coward they were. I was actually upset at their cowardice. A punk given authority over others. They later whined to HR that I "embarrassed" them in front of others...as if they didn't initiate the confrontation. Most people were afraid of them and they couldn't stand that I wasn't, so they made it their mission to make things as miserable as possible for me.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:09 PM

12,831 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If any disciplinary action was taken against you for not responding to emails on your days off as an hourly, you could take that to HR, saying you were out of town and out of internet range, so you didn't see the message until Sunday evening. They couldn't possibly hold that over you, as an hourly. If they tried to, you could probably get the Labor Board involved.
Possibly. What we don't know is the content of the emails. We don't know the OP's work schedule arrangement. The emails could be anything from "Where are you, why aren't you at work?" to updated shift schedules, to "Where did you put the Schmitz file?" Without really knowing the context and what the rules were that were being broken, we really can't say much of anything.

It's kind of moot now since the OP apparently quit.

Old 04-28-2019, 08:13 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Of course 'bosses' can be 'abusive', that's one of the reasons why 'unions' were created...unfortunately, a number of those unions have become even *more* abusive.

And then, there are *some* people who feel 'abused' *any* time something doesn't go exactly the way they want it to/think it should...many of whom, apparently, use C-D to whine about it.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:56 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Yes!

Old 05-02-2019, 08:52 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I actually got really tired due to lack of sleep from my job and ended up doing something really stupid on my time off. It caused me to kill my leopard gecko on accident. I will never tell anyone about that in my real life. I feel so terrible and ashamed. I made up a story to tell my girlfriend and our 5 year old dosn't know about it.
I think most missed this...

You killed your gecko? Say what?

Old 05-07-2019, 08:44 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
This is why there's a saying that people don't quit jobs, they quit managers. It's true. The manager can make all the difference - either for the better or for the worse. I left my last job because of the leadership. It was tough because I loved the staff and the work itself. But the leadership was toxic and abusive and I didn't want to have to tolerate that every day. I'm not the sort of person that can work for someone or for leadership that I don't respect. If they want to keep me, they need to earn my respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment