Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2019, 07:09 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
So when I found the $20 bill in the bush while out walking, how would I have gone about finding the owner?

I did turn in the $20 I found in the change dispenser and I feel sure the staff person kept it right after I left.

In any case what is the point of beating up OP? She didn’t come asking opinions on whether it was right or wrong and has already expressed regret. This is work and employment not psychology or philosophy.
Yep, lost cash without an identifier is rarely going to find its way back to its rightful owner. Sometimes bad luck happens.

But all these people calling OP a "thief." Hyperbolic strawmanning at it's finest, people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 07:43 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
I'd like to thank the CD community for this thread. It has provided me thorough enjoyment on my Wednesday morning.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:15 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Yep, lost cash without an identifier is rarely going to find its way back to its rightful owner. Sometimes bad luck happens.

But all these people calling OP a "thief." Hyperbolic strawmanning at it's finest, people.

Lets define thief:

https://www.yourdictionary.com/thief

The definition of a thief is a person who takes something without permission or without the owner knowing.

Yes I would say that is exactly the right word. If a wallet or phone had been found instead of money almost everyone here would have considered it a theft but because it is harder to determine the owner somehow that makes it ok to some. Still exactly the same thing.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:32 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post

He is a thief. He knows it. That's why he started this thread. His conscience ate away at him. That never happens when we do the right thing.

Only another thief would keep making excuses for the OP's behavior, including insulting those of us who know it's wrong to steal anything.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:48 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
He is a thief. He knows it. That's why he started this thread. His conscience ate away at him. That never happens when we do the right thing.

Only another thief would keep making excuses for the OP's behavior, including insulting those of us who know it's wrong to steal anything.
If keeping cash that I found with no way to return it makes me a "thief," then I guess I'll gladly accept that moniker.

But, ya know, go ahead and keep making what is a very, very, very gray area into something that is black and white. I certainly won't lose any sleep over the pious indignation.

(Also, please show where I insulted anyone. Calling an idea hyperbolic strawmanning is disagreeing with an idea; not insulting a person).

Old 05-01-2019, 09:16 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
A video wouldn't show that. That's not the point. If management purposely dropped that bill to test its employees, it doesn't matter if the denomination isn't visible on tape.

The OP realizes he should have turned it in right away, but too many others in here encourage the theft. THAT is what many of us are reacting to.

The OP has a conscience. I hope this blows over and he keeps his job. He's learned a valuable lesson. Others need to learn it too.
Slimeball tactic. I hope if anyone ever finds themselves working for someone like that, they quit asap.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:32 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherryblossommm View Post
But how can the cashier even see the money? She would have to lay on counter or walk from register. And how is it store policy and im not clocked in.

You know...there's an easy solution here. Do the right thing and turn the money in. You KNOW it doesn't belong to you. End of story.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:39 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
HAHA! I've never been arrested in my life. Nice try, though.

I don't hate cops, but I'm not foolish enough to trust them with money, either. They're not to be trusted around money or women.
Yeah but now your fingerprints are all over stolen property ...

Old 05-01-2019, 10:17 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
My grandma once found a $20 in her street when she went out for a walk (1970s). She walked up & down the street & knocked on the door of every single house to ask if anyone had lost their money ... around 20 houses but everybody said it wasn’t theirs.

She felt so bad for whoever it was that lost their money & that she couldn’t find them. After a few days she took the $20 & went & bought some sets of stationery & some postage stamps & started what became a daily habit of hers that lasted another 3 decades until the day she died in 2000.

Every day she would write a short, uplifting note to a different family member to remind them that they were loved & put it in the mail. Everybody: aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews, siblings, in-laws, children, grandchildren, great-grands & anybody, related or not; that she thought might need a kind word; sick neighbors, people at church, newly widowed, etc ...

Every few months you could expect a cute little card with a note in it in the mail. The last one I received from her simply said; “Coschristi, never forget that you are loved. And try not to worry so much. I worried every day of my life & it never did me a bit of good! Love, Grandma”.

She just wanted to make sure that she put that $20 to good use.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:18 AM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
It sounds like you know you did something immoral/wrong and now have a guilty conscience. You can decide to do something about that or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment