Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2019, 11:51 AM

50,177 posts, read 35,836,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
A video wouldn't show that. That's not the point. If management purposely dropped that bill to test its employees, it doesn't matter if the denomination isn't visible on tape.

The OP realizes he should have turned it in right away, but too many others in here encourage the theft. THAT is what many of us are reacting to.

The OP has a conscience. I hope this blows over and he keeps his job. He's learned a valuable lesson. Others need to learn it too.
I don't think anyone encouraged it. First of all, it was already done. OP came here to try to calculate what might happen on her job. There was no reason to start passing judgement on what she did. She never asked for an opinion on whether she should have picked it up or not. I myself said don't beat yourself up and do better next time.

I highly, highly doubt a company would do such a silly thing to test employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Finding money outdoors is different from finding money on your employer's premises.

If I found money on my employer's premises, I would assume it belong to my employer. And turn it in so they could either find out if it came out of their own cash drawers, or if it belonged to one of their customers who dropped it.
Yes, I already stated it's different in a workplace.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:06 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,413,544 times
I'll think twice about picking that penny up I find in Target from now on. Don't want to end up in jail.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'll think twice about picking that penny up I find in Target from now on. Don't want to end up in jail.
You're supposed to get on the intercom and ask if anyone dropped it.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:24 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,298,253 times
Quote:
This is not about a penny.

Taking $100 is very different from picking up a penny.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:42 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,413,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
This is not about a penny.

Taking $100 is very different from picking up a penny.
Theft is theft right? Or does the law differentiate a value at which it becomes theft? I'm not being smart, I honestly don't know. If the law does say it then my bad.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:18 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,108,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_nina1 View Post
This is not a high end store. The OP is hardly a high income earner. She has a drug store clerical job. $100 is a big deal and was used to fix a car needed to get to work! She/he didn't steal. She found the money on the floor. I am just stunned how many people suggest turning it in to the manager who could potentially pocket it. Do you think the manager would put the money in the register? If so, how will the overage be explained? Would the manager pin the money to the cork board in hopes of giving it to someone who comes back saying they've lost it?
Sliding scale of morality based on income and/or need? Yikes.

You don't know that the manager is of similar morality. The manager may have held the money for some time and then turned it over to the OP if it was not claimed.

A lot of people who lost $100 would back track their steps and inquire about it.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:23 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,298,253 times
Quote:
Theft is theft right? Or does the law differentiate a value at which it becomes theft? I'm not being smart, I honestly don't know. If the law does say it then my bad.
Laws actually do differentiate theft crimes based on the monetary amount stolen, ranging from petty misdemeanor to felony.

No police anywhere would prosecute someone for stealing a penny.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:29 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,108,992 times
Quote:
It's quite possible the penny was abandoned. So, you would probably be in the clear.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:37 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,424,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't think anyone encouraged it. First of all, it was already done. OP came here to try to calculate what might happen on her job. There was no reason to start passing judgement on what she did. She never asked for an opinion on whether she should have picked it up or not. I myself said don't beat yourself up and do better next time.

I highly, highly doubt a company would do such a silly thing to test employees.
Yeah. OK! You're living in the dark ages if you believe that.

As for "passing judgement", nobody in here did that. You don't understand what passing judgment means if you think calling a rose, a rose, is "passing judgment".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment