Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2019, 03:00 AM

4 posts, read 3,673 times

Advertisements

This has been nothing short of a huge learning experience for me. So I flew to out CA on Friday for an interview and I had an offer before I arrived back at the airport to fly home. On Tuesday, a coworker put 2 and 2 together and told me she had suspicions that I had an interview. I guess the smile on my face gave it away but she knew and I was busted. She told me how one of our team members was getting promoted later in the week and I should think about putting my 2 weeks in sooner rather than later. So later in the day, I told my boss and put my 2 weeks in without having a counter offer back from potential new employer. On Thursday night realizing how irresponsible and stupid I have been, I tried to rescind my resignation. I talked to my boss Friday and he told me that they were actually going to let me go the day I rescinded my resignation. So I left Friday not knowing if the executives approved me staying or not.

Only thing I need the job for is for a paycheck but for a month or so I can use my savings and maybe drive for Uber until I find something. It’s a corporate job with mass layoffs a few months ago so morale is down and overall it is misery for 10hrs a day.

Question, if I decide not to show up tomorrow would that be burning some bridges? If they let me go, could I collect unemployment?

Last edited by Mizzou2011; 04-29-2019 at 03:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 03:30 AM

23,299 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou2011 View Post
This has been nothing short of a huge learning experience for me. So I flew to out CA on Friday for an interview and I had an offer before I arrived back at the airport to fly home. On Tuesday, a coworker put 2 and 2 together and told me she had suspicions that I had an interview. I guess the smile on my face gave it away but she knew and I was busted. She told me how one of our team members was getting promoted later in the week and I should think about putting my 2 weeks in sooner rather than later. So later in the day, I told my boss and put my 2 weeks in without having a counter offer back from potential new employer. On Thursday night realizing how irresponsible and stupid I have been, I tried to rescind my resignation. I talked to my boss Friday and he told me that they were actually going to let me go the day I rescinded my resignation. So I left Friday not knowing if the executives approved me staying or not.

Only thing I need the job for is for a paycheck but for a month or so I can use my savings and maybe drive for Uber until I find something. It’s a corporate job with mass layoffs a few months ago so morale is down and overall it is misery for 10hrs a day.

Question, if I decide not to show up tomorrow would that be burning some bridges? If they let me go, could I collect unemployment?
Don't understand this.

First you said you had an offer from the CA employer before flying home. Was it a real offer or not? Did you accept it or not?

Who cares whether a co-worker knew you had another offer or not? You were planning to leave anyway right?

Why does a promotion of some other team member affect whether you put in a 2 week notice or not?

If you have a new job offer why does it matter that your current employer was going to "let you go"?

If your employer has given you a termination date just show up for work until then. Why be disrespectful about this? Whether or not you are eligible for unemployment depends on the circumstances of your termination.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:59 AM

4,971 posts, read 2,712,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Don't understand this.

First you said you had an offer from the CA employer before flying home. Was it a real offer or not? Did you accept it or not?

Who cares whether a co-worker knew you had another offer or not? You were planning to leave anyway right?

Why does a promotion of some other team member affect whether you put in a 2 week notice or not?

If you have a new job offer why does it matter that your current employer was going to "let you go"?

If your employer has given you a termination date just show up for work until then. Why be disrespectful about this? Whether or not you are eligible for unemployment depends on the circumstances of your termination.
This^^^

I also don't understand. If you had an offer from the CA employer and took it, then what was this "counteroffer" from the CA employer later? Did you accept the original offer? Did you want to play one company off the other for a better deal?

Also, about your suspicious co-worker. Never give anything away. You should have said it was none of her business.

All you had to do is accept the offer from the CA employer, make sure it is solid, and then put in your two week notice and ignore any suspicious co-workers and bosses fluttering around you. Finished.

It sounds like you made some kind of mistake but am not sure what it is.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:13 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
Work your last two weeks. If nothing else it's money that can tide you over. Can you think of a reason they were going to let you go? It sounds like the other job is still up in the air, but you'll have two more weeks to get that sorted out.

Good luck!

Old 04-29-2019, 08:06 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
You did so many things wrong it's hard to even comprehend.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:44 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
OP please come back and clarify....Something about your description sounds like isn't being explained correctly.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:11 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Where do you live now?

You flew out to CA - where? Silicon Valley? LA?

Let's take the worst case scenario.

Let's assume you live in a reasonable cost of living area. You're making $50K and you have money left over after your month so you are solvent.

You flew out to Silicon Valley and got a job making $95K. You're doing air guitars and are happy and take the job. When you relocate, you realize you have trouble finding apartments that are within your range and are forced to live in your car.

Your pay almost doubles but your cost of living triples or quadruples. The math doesn't add up.

After taxes, and high insurance premiums, you're spending your remaining paycheck on cost of living and maybe more. You're not going to get a raise but your rent has went up and so has your cost of living. You're racking up debt big time and will go bankrupt if you don't solve this problem.

So yeah, you screwed up.

Last edited by bobsell; 04-29-2019 at 11:16 AM..

Old 04-29-2019, 11:07 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
You report to work until you are told not to. Count me among the confused readers.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:14 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
You did so many things wrong it's hard to even comprehend.
Perfect summary. /closethread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment