Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 02:53 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,059,405 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering if I should fight for a title change or not. They're paying me accordingly (I'm making as much as a data analyst would with the amount of experience I have), but will there be any repurcussions about not having an appropriate title?

My job is made up of 3 components.

• ATS Administrator -45%
  • Data Analyst - 40%
  • Talent Acquisition Coordinator (TAC) - 15%
Current title: TA Coordinator/ATS Administrator
What I'd like: TA Analyst/ATS Administrator (in any order)

Here's some general info.

The only real coordinator stuff I do is actually more administrative and backing up the other TAC and the admin assistant. They originally went with the TAC only title so they didn't have to create a new one and they weren't 100% sure what I was going to be doing (as in percentages). They told me I could add Analyst after it if I wanted (but it's not official). After a year, they reevaluated my position and now pay me as an analyst, but my title doesn't reflect it.

I live in the ATS and Excel. I'm usually in the ATS so I can pull the data needed, make changes to get cleaner data, clean the data for better reports, keep up with all the updates, and make changes to help the recruiters. I create all TA reports for management from the ground up. My boss wants us to put the ATS data into a datawarehouse so we can use Tableau. I'm hoping to up my game this year so I can create the reports in Tableau or lose half my job. If I lose half my job, I may move on.

So, how important is a title? What is it worth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 03:01 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,459,503 times
What are your future goals and which title will look better on your resume?

Old 04-29-2019, 04:09 PM

179 posts, read 149,105 times
Personally, I don't put much stock in titles. My title doesn't reflect all I do, but to get by HR and their BS, it worked. I am as high as I can go, or even care to go at this point in my life.

BUT...I think HR too often only looks at titles when considering candidates for new jobs, and labor union/classifications in the case of govt. work.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What are your future goals and which title will look better on your resume?

I'd like to add the data analyst part since that's where I want to stay and if I leave it'll give me more flexibility. Being an ATS Admin is good too, but I don't think I could only do that.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslrac View Post
Personally, I don't put much stock in titles. My title doesn't reflect all I do, but to get by HR and their BS, it worked. I am as high as I can go, or even care to go at this point in my life.

BUT...I think HR too often only looks at titles when considering candidates for new jobs, and labor union/classifications in the case of govt. work.
I agree. I mean, when I go to conferences, state what I do, my LinkedIn account, everything I wrote says TA Analyst and my boss knows it.

And I agree with the latter, that HR will see a title and say pass w/o reading what I do. Granted, I have no issue changing the title on a resume - my last job was gov't and everyone in the private sector would always ask me, "what does your title mean?" On the upside, those people read my resume to know I was experienced enough for the job.

Last edited by psichick; 04-29-2019 at 05:28 PM..

Old 04-29-2019, 04:31 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,459,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I'd like to add the data analyst part since that's where I want to stay and if I leave it'll give me more flexibility. Being an ATS Admin is good too, but I don't think I could only do that.
Push to get the title that benefits your future the most. Take into account industry norms and expectations.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:08 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,206,981 times
Titles mean a lot.

For many roles (such as project manager) employers do not count experience unless it is in a role with that exact same job title.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:08 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,593,875 times
When I went through this it was like pulling teeth. I gave up and decided my best move was to a different company.

Said company was just me. I started a one man consulting firm and made more money than I ever did working for someone else.

And my boss was a wonderful guy.

My office was 20 feet down the hall in the morning. Lord I miss that job. Retired now, but really would like to go back to it.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:11 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,206,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I started a one man consulting firm and made more money than I ever did working for someone else.
So you did not work for any clients or customers?

Quote:
And my boss was a wonderful guy.
But you just said you did not work for someone else. You just contradicted yourself in the span of seconds.

Deceptive language is not a good thing.

Employees work for one boss.
Consultants work for multiple bosses - each client or customer is their boss.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:48 AM

10,600 posts, read 12,064,847 times
Simple really. Ask for the title you want. The one that will serve you best in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment