Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 05:30 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,850 times

Advertisements

Age discrimination is real. My aunt is around her fifties and she had hell to find a job in a hotel despite her years of experience. Fortunately she was able to find a job but before she was depressed.

I'm still young but I'm not blind to issues like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 05:43 AM

283 posts, read 198,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
For your own mental health while in your job search, is it better to maintain hope or to psych yourself out over your age? The fact remains that EVERYONE regardless of age experience the same things you mentioned.
How old are you, Charlygal?

Old 05-07-2019, 07:14 AM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Maybe it was the location? My Aunt went back to school in late 40's and became an RN. Not only did she have no problem finding a good job, she had multiple offers. Lives in Wisconsin.
There is a significant shortage of qualified nurses in many areas of the country. That's not surprising. If she had gone back to school and become an accountant, she'd likely still be unemployed.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:15 AM

577 posts, read 494,013 times
When I retired within two years I found myself disillusioned with the fact that I was no longer contributing to society, like that I had done while working for 45 years. So I thought I would find some part time work with my skills and the pocket money would help also.

I ran in to a lot of what was plain old, age discrimination. But, I also saw that my local home improvement and large retail stores had NO issue with hiring seniors and retired people. Because # 1, seniors are proving themselves to be the most reliable workers, and can pass the drug tests and they will show up daily to work.

Now that being said, in defense of the employers that do "stealth like" discriminate against seniors, I have my opinion on them also. If I was a employer today, I would probably have this perspective on my hiring practices. I would want to give a job to that younger woman, single Mother or to that young man that is just starting out in life ….married or not.

Because in the HARSH reality of life folks, we old people have had our run in life while being out in the workforce for 25-50 years. If we failed to plan for our retirement, or even through no fault of our own we end up towards our end stage of life not having enough money to live on....ITS ON US.

I just watched a day or so ago 3000 students graduate from our local university on TV, with their 4 year degrees in their hands. I thought to myself, " Self, where in the world are all of these young people with NO job experience under their belt, going to find work" ??

Hmmm now, just maybe they could get one of those jobs that a retired person or where a person that is needing to retire, is still holding on to. It is the young people's turn now folks, so let them have at it. Then, lets see what they will do with it and how it will work out for we oldies. Our past generations of working people, did so for us when we were starting out in life. JMO

Old 05-07-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
I just watched a day or so ago 3000 students graduate from our local university on TV, with their 4 year degrees in their hands. I thought to myself, " Self, where in the world are all of these young people with NO job experience under their belt, going to find work" ??

Hmmm now, just maybe they could get one of those jobs that a retired person or where a person that is needing to retire, is still holding on to. It is the young people's turn now folks, so let them have at it. Then, lets see what they will do with it and how it will work out for we oldies. Our past generations of working people, did so for us when we were starting out in life. JMO
It's similar here with a large regional state university.

They're churning out thousands of graduates annually. Some will move off, maybe many, but there simply isn't a place for most of them in the local labor force.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:03 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
When I retired within two years I found myself disillusioned with the fact that I was no longer contributing to society, like that I had done while working for 45 years. So I thought I would find some part time work with my skills and the pocket money would help also.

I ran in to a lot of what was plain old, age discrimination. But, I also saw that my local home improvement and large retail stores had NO issue with hiring seniors and retired people. Because # 1, seniors are proving themselves to be the most reliable workers, and can pass the drug tests and they will show up daily to work.

Now that being said, in defense of the employers that do "stealth like" discriminate against seniors, I have my opinion on them also. If I was a employer today, I would probably have this perspective on my hiring practices. I would want to give a job to that younger woman, single Mother or to that young man that is just starting out in life ….married or not.

Because in the HARSH reality of life folks, we old people have had our run in life while being out in the workforce for 25-50 years. If we failed to plan for our retirement, or even through no fault of our own we end up towards our end stage of life not having enough money to live on....ITS ON US.

Good points, but at what point is this 'acceptable?'

40's? 50's?

I certainly don't want to be working when I reach 60 if I can help it

Old 05-07-2019, 08:12 AM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It's similar here with a large regional state university.

They're churning out thousands of graduates annually. Some will move off, maybe many, but there simply isn't a place for most of them in the local labor force.
Why would we expect there to be lots of jobs where the university is? That was part of the idea-- you go away to college, and when it is done, you move to that first job. When did it come about that you stayed at home for college and stayed in the same town for work. That's the high school model, not college.

When I we t to college, as well as my friends and my kids, there was never any thought that we'd get jobs in the college town. It was a first step, not the final stop

Old 05-07-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Why would we expect there to be lots of jobs where the university is? That was part of the idea-- you go away to college, and when it is done, you move to that first job. When did it come about that you stayed at home for college and stayed in the same town for work. That's the high school model, not college.

When I we t to college, as well as my friends and my kids, there was never any thought that we'd get jobs in the college town. It was a first step, not the final stop
I'm not saying it's right or wrong.

It's very difficult to get that first job if you're not already in a major job center. Why would a Nashville or Charlotte based employer recruit from ETSU up here in Johnson City? The truth is that they won't - they have better colleges in their local area, and applicants from a school like ETSU have both the "not local" and "not special school" biases to overcome.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:38 AM

780 posts, read 425,251 times
Quote:

It's very difficult to get that first job if you're not already in a major job center. Why would a Nashville or Charlotte based employer recruit from ETSU up here in Johnson City? The truth is that they won't - they have better colleges in their local area, and applicants from a school like ETSU have both the "not local" and "not special school" biases to overcome.
Based on my observations, people who attend those caliber of schools tend to stay regionally. It's part of the reason why I chose to go to a higher caliber, "big name" school myself; I knew that I wanted to move out of state. It has definitely seemed to help against the 'local grad' bias that many regions seem to subscribe to.

While it's not impossible to find a gig out of state with such a degree, it makes it more challenging because you don't really stick out. And on top of it, you may be competing with the 'local grad' bias I mentioned above. I live in Colorado now, and it's a fairly isolated region. So there is a lot of bias towards CU-Boulder, CSU, and University of Denver grads (the Big 3 regional schools).

Old 05-07-2019, 11:22 AM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:

I think part of what you are seeing is a combination of "local commuter school" and it's ETSU. Many of the graduates I know from ETSU went away to ETSU and left after they graduated. But a huge percent of ETSU students are locals with a local mindset.

The other part is ETSU's reputation or lack there of. Our oldest looked at ETSU and after doing the research we decided that even though it would be practically free to attend, it was still cheaper to go out of state because of the better career outcomes.

We don't limit out recruiting to local schools. But we do put our recruiting efforts into top schools throughout the southeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment