Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 06:39 PM

780 posts, read 425,052 times

Advertisements

The entire process of choosing someone based on a specific criteria is discriminatory. Whether legal or not, you'll most likely never know the reasons behind it. While I'm sure that many people try sincerely to be fair to all candidates, we are people, and we have built in prejudices based on our life experience. I know that I've been passed over for jobs when I was younger, because they didn't think I'd be experienced or mature enough to handle certain difficult situations. I had an interviewer say as much during the interview. Maybe she was right, or maybe I could have been a rock star at that job. Either way, it did not stop me from continuing with my job search. Someone eventually took a chance on me and hired me.

But what can you do? Sue everyone who didn't hire you? In most cases, that'd seem like a waste of your time and money. It seems far more productive for yourself to just keep pushing forward. Life is full of unfairness, and you can't try to fix it all yourself. That'd be too overwhelming, and it'd keep you from your ultimate goal of trying to advance your livelihood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 06:40 PM

740 posts, read 455,774 times
There will always be discrimination from place to place, company to company. BUT, there is not enough discrimination EVERYWHERE that it prevents someone from ever getting a job.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:06 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,239 times
Of course discrimination is real, and of course there are times when people are just not right for the job due to skill, personality, or both, and they use discrimination as an excuse. And of course there's no real way for us to know which is which from stories on a forum online.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:49 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Of course discrimination is real, and of course there are times when people are just not right for the job due to skill, personality, or both, and they use discrimination as an excuse. And of course there's no real way for us to know which is which from stories on a forum online.
So true. This forum is only good for a dialogue, not raising legal questions that so few are qualified to answer.

The only truly accurate advice anyone on this forum can give to answer questions of discrimination is "Contact a local employment law attorney."

Old 05-01-2019, 10:21 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Discrimination does exist, regardless what the employer infallibility believers say.

People get discriminated against for their sex, race, skin color, age, religion, political viewpoint, ethical viewpoints, and many other reasons that are illegal.

People get discriminated against for ridiculous stuff (not illegal) such as
* woman rejected for wearing diamond engagement ring
* someone who brings more to the table than they're looking for.
* you live in the wrong location
* you have an "ghetto" name
* "cultural fit" meaning "you must be exactly like us"

Old 05-04-2019, 04:34 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I've been on CD for a few years now. I've noted a strange phenomenon.

If a Black or Latino person comes on and speaks about racial discrimination, they get talked down, and folks tell them that racial discrimination doesn't exist. Same for LGBT people.

I've been in threads about discrimination against women and folks refuse to believe the women. They tell us we don't know how to negotiate for better money, we aren't as committed, we are biologically programmed for lower paying jobs, blah, blah. So, according to many on CD, sexism doesn't exist.

However, if a 30 year old comes on here and explains that they haven't gotten every single job they've applied for, then folks start to scream about age discrimination.

Could it be that if one type of discrimination doesn't apply to you, then you refuse to believe that that form of discrimination exists? Folks also don't take the time to develop any empathy for those that may fall victims to such forms of discrimination.

The rub is that EVERYONE gets older and perhaps that makes folks much more sensitive to those stories.

So, a simple question. Does discrimination exist or not? Either all of it exists or none of it exists. We can't pick or choose to only believe the type of discrimination that applies to our personal circumstances.

Thoughts?
It certainly does. I worry abot ageism the most. I hope I can make it to retirement.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:58 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
Of course discrimination exists when it comes to employment decisions (hiring/promotion/transfer/firing).

Take a look at the EEOC's statistics or look at some of their stories for proof. There are studies showing that candidates with 'black sounding' names get less interviews, overweight candidates are less likely to be selected, women have a lower chance of being picked for a leadership role (goes double for women of color), and older candidates are discriminated against.

I once worked at a company that got slapped with an EEOC lawsuit 2 weeks into my tenure there for racial discrimination because nearly all of the employees (16/18) they had laid off several months prior were black...and their workforce was 85% white. It didn't go to court but the company ended up paying one hell of a huge settlement and also had to bring back the affected employees & do diversity training with the leadership.

I was told at the end of a job interview that I was "a seasoned professional with lots of great experience and a long, interesting career path" but that they were really looking for someone who was "fresher". In this case 'fresher' to mean younger. They called me back 4 months later when the 'fresh' candidate they hired didn't have the experience to do the job but I told them no thank you.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:16 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
Quote:

If a Black or Latino person comes on and speaks about racial discrimination, they get talked down, and folks tell them that racial discrimination doesn't exist. Same for LGBT people.

So, a simple question. Does discrimination exist or not? Either all of it exists or none of it exists. We can't pick or choose to only believe the type of discrimination that applies to our personal circumstances.

Thoughts?
Part of the supremacist code. Lie Lie Lie..... Deny Deny Deny..... Always Deflect from the truth.

Welcome to 'murica in 2019.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:

I've been in threads about discrimination against women and folks refuse to believe the women. They tell us we don't know how to negotiate for better money, we aren't as committed, we are biologically programmed for lower paying jobs, blah, blah. So, according to many on CD, sexism doesn't exist.
Interesting.

You've been telling people that if they don't get a job, it is 100% their fault, it can never be the employers' fault.

But when it comes to those cases - all of a sudden you drop your dogma of employer infallibility.

Double standard = corruption.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Part of the supremacist code. Lie Lie Lie..... Deny Deny Deny..... Always Deflect from the truth.

Welcome to 'murica in 2019.
You do know you're replying to an employer supremacist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment