Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2019, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,520 times

Advertisements

So recently i stuck up in a situation where i was involved with drugs. Ended up taking LSD and the situation escalated and we called the police to contain the situation. No charges have been pursued yet but are in the process. Hoping for njp but im expecting Court Martial and a OTH discharge. Is there any hope for me outside once i get out. I went to a tech school for diesel mechanics but did not get any certification, but my tech teacher said he will vouch for me. Im just hoping that us basically turning ourselves in helps the out come of the situation. Any ideas or comments are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 11:33 PM

29,505 posts, read 22,616,067 times
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT OTHER-THAN-HONORABLE DISCHARGE

Life After An Other-Than-Honorable Discharge

Old 05-06-2019, 06:39 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,863,856 times
Be honest with employers.

I'm a HVAC service tech, and have always had coworkers with legal histories. Being that it's for drugs rather than theft or a violent crime, there's probably hope for you.

Being military can work both ways. Some employers will take your service as a huge plus, while others (especially if they're veterans themselves), might see a OTH as a huge red flag.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:52 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,222,501 times
What job will you look for when you're getting out?

In your typical job market, you're doomed.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
What job will you look for when you're getting out?

In your typical job market, you're doomed.

Looking to do mechanics. Did 1 year of tech school before I enlisted

Old 05-12-2019, 06:44 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,259,223 times
Are you still in training, or are you permanent party somewhere? Arrested by military police or off base civilian police? "The situation escalated" can mean a lot of things.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:03 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,958,911 times
Find out if you can at some point get it upgraded to honorable. Find out if you qualify for an V.A. benefits. Ask questions because no one is going to tell you answers to questions you don't ask. Good luck.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:22 PM

856 posts, read 1,051,349 times
Exclamation OTH Discharge ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedahminator View Post
So recently i stuck up in a situation where i was involved with drugs.

No charges have been pursued yet but are in the process. Hoping for njp but im expecting Court Martial and a OTH discharge. Is there any hope for me outside once i get out.

Im just hoping that us basically turning ourselves in helps the out come of the situation.

1. Turning yourself in won't matter much if your command is in need of making an example of you. This would be particularly true if your command is having a drug problem within its command.

2. Don't wait around to see what is going to happen. Go see your 1SG and ask him/her if your company commander is sitting on the situation and if so, request that you be allowed to speak with him/her. If your deportment/performance has not been a problem and there are any real mitigating and extenuating circumstances that would suggest you get a break, request that this go no further than a company grade Article 15.

If this has been escalated to Brigade, then ask to see the brigade commander. Go in your Class A uniform and plead your case, asking that s/he limit this to a field grade Article 15.

If this has gone to Division, then seek out the specific JAG officer who is prosecuting your case. Ask for clemency and that this go no further than either a company or field grade Article 15. If you are a good performer, have combat and meritorious medals and anything else suggesting you are above average, then perhaps the JAG officer will see that escalating this to a CM is not worth anyone's time.

Except that a CM could be either a Summary or Special CM which would only tie up one judge. So you have to convince your highers that you are normally above average, a performer and that there is no merit to escalating this to a CM when you can have your hands suitably slapped with either a Company or Field grade Article 15.

It would help to have some letters of commendation from as many senior NCO's and officers as you can put together before seeing the Brigade commander and/or JAG so they can see others of rank see you as a valued member of your command.

3. In the event you are given an Article 15, don't worry, these don't show up for civilians. In my day, they would get removed from your 201 file after one year. Even if they don't get removed, civilian employers other than those requiring a secret clearance won't see it.

4. In the event you get a Summary or Special CM, know you can still get an Honorable discharge down the road, assuming you keep your nose clean.

5. Employers will know if you get an OTH discharge since you may be compelled to let them know when filling out job applications. Whether or not this will hurt you will depend on the kind of job for which you are applying and the company's culture.

6. If you get an OTH or other 'less than Honorable' discharge, you can apply to the Review Board to ask them to upgrade the character of your discharge. For them to do so, it will be necessary to show extenuating and mitigating reasons why they should upgrade your discharge. Having meritorious and/or valorous medals will help in this regard, especially if this turns out to be a one time event.

Let's just say I know someone very close to me who has experience with this.

Paul.........

Old 05-31-2019, 10:15 PM

233 posts, read 225,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedahminator View Post
So recently i stuck up in a situation where i was involved with drugs. Ended up taking LSD and the situation escalated and we called the police to contain the situation. No charges have been pursued yet but are in the process. Hoping for njp but im expecting Court Martial and a OTH discharge. Is there any hope for me outside once i get out. I went to a tech school for diesel mechanics but did not get any certification, but my tech teacher said he will vouch for me. Im just hoping that us basically turning ourselves in helps the out come of the situation. Any ideas or comments are greatly appreciated.
keep your nose clean and your butt cleaner. then in a couple of years try for a general discharge
change in lieu of the dishonorable....... it's possible.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment