Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 12:57 PM

604 posts, read 839,708 times

Advertisements

I have a small business and work from home. Since my hours can vary, I found a part time job at, lets call it Acme Company, to supplement my income. Acme company is a small business with 2 partners (lets call them Don and Joe) with the office in Don's house. They have 3 part time employees, and they needed a 4th to do some basic office work to get them through their busiest season. I had a very informal interview and was hired at $X dollars/hour. I was told that I could work when I wanted, as long as the work got done and I could give them my schedule week to week. I worked for a few months, but found the environment tough.
Without going into detail, there really wasn't enough work to keep me busy for more than about 8 hours per week after the busy season. I attempted to help any way I could, but one partner bit my head off if I asked questions. After a few months, I decided it really wasn't enough money to put up with the difficulties so I resigned. I advised that my other work responsibilities had increased and made it hard to balance both. This was a true statement, but in reality I could have continued if I had felt like it was worth it financially. I did not mention that I felt tension from "Don" because he bit my head off when I asked questions.

When first hired, Joe agreed to pay $X/per hour, but the first 2 paychecks were paid at a lower rate. I didn't catch the error on the first check, but I questioned the 2nd check, was told it was an error and was paid the correct rate. I was not given an adjustment for the first check.

After I resigned, "Don", the partner who bit my head off a few times emailed me an apology for his behavior, and indicated he would like me to come back to work. I again advised that it would not work with my other responsibilities, but I would appreciate if my last check included the correct amount for the first pay period that was paid at the wrong pay rate. The check came and did not include that.

My question: Would you pursue what is owed you, or leave it alone? We are not talking about a lot of money here, but I feel that they should pay me for hours worked at the agreed upon rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 01:07 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Send him an email with this:

"I would appreciate if my last check included the correct amount for the first pay period that was paid at the wrong pay rate. The check came and did not include that." and list the amount. Perhaps scan the check or pay stub with the correct amount.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:16 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I'd personally let it go. Not worth the hassle.

Last edited by Mr_Geek; 05-07-2019 at 01:35 PM..

Old 05-07-2019, 01:28 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
I would let it go as well. Some things in life are simply not worth the aggravation or stress.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:36 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
I had a similar experience with a contract-to-hire job; the company owner talked about one rate, then gave me a much lower one, then agreed to a bump after 30 days. It was endless tense friction to get them to issue the checks (including my final one) at the agreed rates.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:01 PM

604 posts, read 839,708 times
I should add that Don handles payroll. Joe, the nicer partner, is the person who hired me and gave me the pay rate via email. Since the pay rate was in writing, I am thinking that if I choose to ask about the first paycheck, I can approach it with Joe.

On the one hand, I feel like I should let it go. But on the other hand, I feel like I kind of suffered for that money and I should pursue it with Joe.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:08 PM

780 posts, read 425,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
I should add that Don handles payroll. Joe, the nicer partner, is the person who hired me and gave me the pay rate via email. Since the pay rate was in writing, I am thinking that if I choose to ask about the first paycheck, I can approach it with Joe.

On the one hand, I feel like I should let it go. But on the other hand, I feel like I kind of suffered for that money and I should pursue it with Joe.
It never hurts to ask (Joe).

Old 05-07-2019, 03:07 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:

Why did you resign before resolving this issue?

Old 05-07-2019, 03:42 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
My question: Would you pursue what is owed you, or leave it alone? We are not talking about a lot of money here, but I feel that they should pay me for hours worked at the agreed upon rate.
Depends on how much money we're talking about. I once caught an error of $4.00 and I let that go. Wasn't worth pursuing.

If you're talking thousands of dollars then yes, pursue it.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:31 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Depends on how much money we're talking about. I once caught an error of $4.00 and I let that go. Wasn't worth pursuing.

If you're talking thousands of dollars then yes, pursue it.
Agree, how much money is it? That would be a deciding factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment