Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 08:25 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,370,252 times

Advertisements

I worked with this fellow who told me about his humble beginnings where everyone had to work so hard in his family and they were still poor. He decided to go to college and told me he dreamed of one of those cushy jobs. He said he finally got his wish. He worked in a very large IT department for a major insurance company. His assigned work there each week was something which he was easily able to complete before lunch on Monday. For the rest of the time he had zero to do and zero access to anything to learn more, because he was only allowed access to that part of the system to do his work. Management didn't seem to care he didn't have much to do. He ended up taking 2 hour lunches and spending time walking around department stores during work hours after lunch.

He said he hated it there and started having health problems with his stomach because of the stress of this. Getting up early in the morning, putting on a suit to go hang out in the office with no real work to do for most of the time there. Not even meetings.

He found another job that kept him very busy, but he said he was so much happier. He told me he realized the dream of a cushy job was entirely misguided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 09:33 AM

801 posts, read 547,389 times
To each their own.

If you are one of those people who can keep yourself busy with interests outside of work, that type of job would be a dream.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:58 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,984,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
I worked with this fellow who told me about his humble beginnings where everyone had to work so hard in his family and they were still poor. He decided to go to college and told me he dreamed of one of those cushy jobs. He said he finally got his wish. He worked in a very large IT department for a major insurance company. His assigned work there each week was something which he was easily able to complete before lunch on Monday. For the rest of the time he had zero to do and zero access to anything to learn more, because he was only allowed access to that part of the system to do his work. Management didn't seem to care he didn't have much to do. He ended up taking 2 hour lunches and spending time walking around department stores during work hours after lunch.

He said he hated it there and started having health problems with his stomach because of the stress of this. Getting up early in the morning, putting on a suit to go hang out in the office with no real work to do for most of the time there. Not even meetings.

He found another job that kept him very busy, but he said he was so much happier. He told me he realized the dream of a cushy job was entirely misguided.
If you can take two hour lunches with no real responsibility, sounds like this position needs to be eliminated entirely. Never ceases to me amaze me how quick companies are to get rid of positions where people actually work and bring value but will gladly keep on countless layers of pointless management positions or these paper pushing up no responsibility type jobs where people can take 2-3 hour lunches

Old 05-12-2019, 10:06 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
To each their own.

If you are one of those people who can keep yourself busy with interests outside of work, that type of job would be a dream.
My job is pretty cushy. I have a quota at work, but no one micromanages me as long as I make the quota and I can work from home 3 days a week. I work 7.5 hour days and the work is not that challenging. I have tons of free time outside the job to pursue my own interests and stay busy. The only problem with it is that there are limited promotion opportunities, but for what it is, it is a pretty decent job.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
To each their own.

Unless you had a job as I described and experienced it, I highly doubt it. I'm sure to someone working retail dealing with the public all day, this sounds like a dream job, but to actually experience it is another thing.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:54 AM

6,449 posts, read 9,807,225 times
That was stressful for the person in the OP? lol I don't think that person really understands what a stressful job is.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
If you can take two hour lunches with no real responsibility, sounds like this position needs to be eliminated entirely. Never ceases to me amaze me how quick companies are to get rid of positions where people actually work and bring value but will gladly keep on countless layers of pointless management positions or these paper pushing up no responsibility type jobs where people can take 2-3 hour lunches
It was an IT job. He had to be highly skilled to do the work, but they didn't have enough of that sort of work for him to do. So someone did a cost analysis and decided it was economically sound to keep someone in the job for the 4 hours or so he did a week.

You also have to look at the management structure. If someone is into power base building, and are aggressive about upper management giving them the budget they want, they can do things like this and no one looks at the details.

Old 05-12-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
That was stressful for the person in the OP? lol I don't think that person really understands what a stressful job is.
It wasn't like he could only come in for 4 hours a week and the rest he could go fishing. He had to show up to the office and hang out there.

The real stress isn't from working, it is from not accomplishing what you wish to do. You can have a lot of work to do, and it can be enjoyable because you are able to accomplish things. It is stressful when you can't accomplish anything. This is why people who are unemployed have stress, even if they are able to pay their bills. I have a friend who took early retirement and was going crazy with having nothing to do he told me. It was more stressful than the job he had.

Remember, in some places they punish employees by taking work and responsibility away from. No one wants to be put off in a corner with nothing to do. This guy's job wasn't intended as a punishment, but it might as well have been.

Old 05-12-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
My job is pretty cushy. I have a quota at work, but no one micromanages me as long as I make the quota and I can work from home 3 days a week. I work 7.5 hour days and the work is not that challenging. I have tons of free time outside the job to pursue my own interests and stay busy. The only problem with it is that there are limited promotion opportunities, but for what it is, it is a pretty decent job.
But you are doing more than 4 hours of work a week aren't you? Your situation doesn't sound the same.

Old 05-12-2019, 12:12 PM

801 posts, read 547,389 times
Quote:
To each their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Unless you had a job as I described and experienced it, I highly doubt it. I'm sure to someone working retail dealing with the public all day, this sounds like a dream job, but to actually experience it is another thing.
I DO have a job like that.

I work in accounting. I am mainly busy during the first week of the month doing period end types of work. Those who work in accounting knows what I mean...

The rest of the time, I am busy for like 2 hours day. Fortunately, I am not one of those people who feels the need to be all about work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment