Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 07:45 AM

49 posts, read 67,574 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Maybe you got it from the title: my current employer sucks. I managed for some time with him and now he trusts me a lot, but I still don't feel safe because he fires people arbitrarily - no one feels safe here.
So I got this very good job offer and I accepted it. Sent my resignation, my boss said he won't let me go after the notice period and that it is too short. My new employer is in a rush and cannot expand that.

The new employer contacted him and he said the same. Now the good news is the new employer knows that my role is important, they said so, but they still want a reference letter from my current boss.

I want to offer the old employer working with him for 15 days after work hours until he lets me go, not sure if he accepts though. In that case, what should I do?
- Just do what's right, and if the new employer doesnt appreciate the case then f**k both of them and I look elsewhere?
- I give up and I go back to my last employer waiting for my termination letter?

Do I have a choice here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 07:50 AM

66 posts, read 64,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by be.010 View Post
Hi,

Maybe you got it from the title: my current employer sucks. I managed for some time with him and now he trusts me a lot, but I still don't feel safe because he fires people arbitrarily - no one feels safe here.
So I got this very good job offer and I accepted it. Sent my resignation, my boss said he won't let me go after the notice period and that it is too short. My new employer is in a rush and cannot expand that.

The new employer contacted him and he said the same. Now the good news is the new employer knows that my role is important, they said so, but they still want a reference letter from my current boss.

I want to offer the old employer working with him for 15 days after work hours until he lets me go, not sure if he accepts though. In that case, what should I do?
- Just do what's right, and if the new employer doesnt appreciate the case then f**k both of them and I look elsewhere?
- I give up and I go back to my last employer waiting for my termination letter?

Do I have a choice here?
A) You are not a slave. Your employer does not own you. Grow a pair and leave. I wouldn't even give two weeks if they behaved like that.

B) You say you've already accepted an offer. So why are they now asking for a reference from your current employer? You tell them that your current employer did not take the resignation well and that you have accepted their offer and will start on May XX.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:56 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Yeah, I'm totally lost here. Unless this is the military, why can't you just leave? Who doesn't allow an employee to leave??? Give him your 2 weeks notice and leave. If a reference is asked for, simply tell them his policy is not to provide them for any employees.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:58 AM

The only thing I will lose is the experience certificate and reference here. I'm not in a well-regulated country.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:04 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,032 times
It appears you're not in the USA and not American. So, you should post that information so that people who better understand your circumstances can provide assistance. No American here can help you.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:23 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by be.010 View Post
Hi,

Do I have a choice here?
I've read further along in this thread and see you are not in the United States. So, you don't have a CHOICE to leave your current employer in whatever country you're in? Beyond scary, if true. But no one owns you. Leave when your two weeks are up (frankly, if it were me and he gave me a 'not accepting your resignation' I would have just walked out then).

get out of that place.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:44 PM

I can leave the employer with 30 day notice period, it's just that I will not be able to get him as reference for my new employer. Anyway I sent him an email after this post and confirmed my last day. I'll wait and see the result. No matter what it's obviously the right choice.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:49 PM

6,453 posts, read 9,816,761 times
And people complain about working here in the USA lol

Old 05-13-2019, 12:49 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Yep, slavery's illegal. Only you can decided whether niceties such as a good reference (which are limited anyway - the worst they are allowed to say is that you left without notice) and some idea of returning to work there trump taking a much better position you've already been offered.

I'd say be polite and move on, without worrying about your old employer being upset in any way.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:53 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,332,943 times
You can always try to get fired:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment