Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 12:36 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,003,177 times

Advertisements

So I manage a plumbing company. Besides myself, we have two call center employees. One is very part time by her choice. She leaves every day for a few hours. She has been here for years.

The other has been here about 6 months. She is a sloth. S...l....o...w.... in everything she does. I move really fast all the time. I actually do two positions in 40 hours. I can answer 4 calls to her one. I fly to get lunch and zip back. She takes forever. I guess it is her personality. I don’t have time for it... we are hiring a replacement. Well that’s the plan. So far every scheduled intervyhas been a no show or cance.

The accountant says it is her personality. I have tried to explain that she needs to get faster. I have gotten downright angry. My boss has yelled at her.

What is it that makes some people slow? It is a call center. Speed is a requirement. I can’t fit in a third job. Sadly most employees are crap. I am tired of trying to train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 12:52 PM

3,009 posts, read 2,200,345 times
Not everyone is good at everything.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:54 PM

724 posts, read 522,743 times
Sounds like a terrible hire. Stuff like that is kind of easy to spot in an interview.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:54 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,685,228 times
I don't know what it is, but there seems to be a general ineptness and lack of care that has permeated our entire culture. It is so irritating. I have hired probably a dozen people over the years for my own business and I have two people now who are reliable. One has been with me for probably 5 or 6 years and the other is newer, maybe since the start of this year? It literally took me that long to find one other reliable and competent person. Reliable meaning they hand in readable work by the due date. Everyone else I've tried has either completely missed due dates (on the regular, I mean, not a one-time thing) or they handed me something that looked like their second-grader wrote it.

Even lawn care: I've been through a lot of lawn care companies. We live in Florida and need the lawn done weekly by a ride-on mower during the summer. It's too rainy and the grass grows too fast to do it with a push-mower (I mean, some people do, but it just takes forever and it's worth it to hire someone for $100/month to just deal with it in 15 minutes with their lawn equipment.) They usually come for a few months and then just stop showing up. Just... why?? So annoying! We just started with a new company and I hope they are more reliable than the last several.

My husband also has the same complaint at work. The workers want to stand around whining and wasting time rather than doing the job they are paid to do. Sometimes things go wrong with the job and they can't meet the deadline for circumstances outside of their control, but the vast majority of the time, if they don't make it, it's because someone was working at the pace of a snail or otherwise just goofing off and wasting time.

I'm just adding my own frustration to your post, OP! No advice or answers for you. I agree that it's troubling.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:55 PM

29,430 posts, read 22,337,909 times
You're a manager, deal with it, that's one of the responsibilities of your position . Don't pawn it off on your boss to make him the 'bad guy.' There's absolutely no reason why any manager should tolerate or be held hostage by a subpar employee.

How to Deal With Slow Employees

6 Steps to Help Slow Employees Work Faster

Old 05-13-2019, 01:24 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,408,560 times
She's a bad fit for what you are looking for. Not everyone operates at 300mph and if she isn't working out then make changes.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:29 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,498,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I don’t have time for it... we are hiring a replacement.
Use the term "high energy" in the adverts. Maybe it'll work.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:53 PM

577 posts, read 484,807 times
Job applications, resumes and references will never tell the employer ALL they need to know about the prospective employee. Because papers can be falsely documented and some people...will just outright lie to your face.

I learned this the hard way. And found myself creating tests for the applicants. And I would put key problems in my test that if the applicant failed, I would not hire them. Whether it be the physical needs required of them, motivation, attitude, or working knowledge.

Last edited by greglovesoldtrucks; 05-13-2019 at 02:03 PM..

Old 05-13-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
Sounds like a terrible hire. Stuff like that is kind of easy to spot in an interview.
She was eager in the interview. Then a month or two for training, to allow the speed to come. She has peaked I am afraid.

She is the 6th or 7th attempt. They all suck. And when ever we get an applicant with relative experience, they cancel the interview before we even have the opportunity to snag them.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I don't know what it is, but there seems to be a general ineptness and lack of care that has permeated our entire culture. It is so irritating. I have hired probably a dozen people over the years for my own business and I have two people now who are reliable. One has been with me for probably 5 or 6 years and the other is newer, maybe since the start of this year? It literally took me that long to find one other reliable and competent person. Reliable meaning they hand in readable work by the due date. Everyone else I've tried has either completely missed due dates (on the regular, I mean, not a one-time thing) or they handed me something that looked like their second-grader wrote it.

Even lawn care: I've been through a lot of lawn care companies. We live in Florida and need the lawn done weekly by a ride-on mower during the summer. It's too rainy and the grass grows too fast to do it with a push-mower (I mean, some people do, but it just takes forever and it's worth it to hire someone for $100/month to just deal with it in 15 minutes with their lawn equipment.) They usually come for a few months and then just stop showing up. Just... why?? So annoying! We just started with a new company and I hope they are more reliable than the last several.

My husband also has the same complaint at work. The workers want to stand around whining and wasting time rather than doing the job they are paid to do. Sometimes things go wrong with the job and they can't meet the deadline for circumstances outside of their control, but the vast majority of the time, if they don't make it, it's because someone was working at the pace of a snail or otherwise just goofing off and wasting time.

I'm just adding my own frustration to your post, OP! No advice or answers for you. I agree that it's troubling.
I use to own a lawn care company. I wouldn’t have shown up for $100 a month either. Here is Maryland, I was not pulling my mower off a trailer for less than $75-$125 per cut.

But yes, good help is hard to find even when you are paying a reasonable wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment