Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 04:40 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times

Advertisements

"Resumes with photographs or otherwise inappropriate content will not be considered."

I say hooray for this company for saying this, but honestly any professional adult should know this. As someone who worked in HR and management, and who has hired for literally hundreds of positions, I automatically threw away any resume that had photographs on them or information about religion, etc. on them. Your "active membership" at XYZ Church is completely irrelevant. Basically, if I'm not allowed to ask you about it at a job interview, don't tell me. I don't want to know your age, race, etc., etc. I am still consistently amazed that people touting their professionalism still do this. Or address cover letters to Dear Sir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 04:42 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
This reminds me of the context of old (Renaissance or medieval) etiquette guides that suggest things like spitting in your plate is not proper. These injunctions wouldn't exist if people didn't do them.

I take it this company probably hires a younger crowd and has had all the crap resume content they can handle...

Old 05-13-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
This reminds me of the context of old (Renaissance or medieval) etiquette guides that suggest things like spitting in your plate is not proper. These injunctions wouldn't exist if people didn't do them.

I take it this company probably hires a younger crowd and has had all the crap resume content they can handle...
It was actually for a federal government job.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Oy.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:38 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Oy.
The federal government still hires a lot of new grads and interns.

For other jobs, in a lot of other countries, photographs ARE included with resumes (like in some E. Asian countries), so to assume that people just know this because they are professional adults is ridiculous.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:00 PM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,530,189 times
I've always wondered how LinkedIn fits into this equation, since it encourages users to include headshots?

Old 05-13-2019, 06:06 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Funny, I too work for the federal government and am like you, I don't want to know all that stuff. But I do think some resume guides and colleges were telling people to include things like photos for a while. Maybe working for the government we are just more hyper aware of avoiding even the appearance of non merit factors in hiring compared to the private sector.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
I've always wondered how LinkedIn fits into this equation, since it encourages users to include headshots?
That's really the problem with all social media - even though it's not kosher, it's easy to take a look at FB and Twitter pages, and LinkedIn, and learn all kinds of things that should not be employment factors.

And, of course, some of that "inappropriate material" is things like including your FB and Twitter pages.

Neither my FB nor LI page has an (accurate) picture.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:13 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Life moves on. I don't know when head shots stopped being a thing, but I vividly recall my MIL showing us her resume with the attached photo. I seem to recall doing it myself. Glad it's gone. That said, not too difficult to find images of people online.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Life moves on. I don't know when head shots stopped being a thing, but I vividly recall my MIL showing us her resume with the attached photo. I seem to recall doing it myself. Glad it's gone. That said, not too difficult to find images of people online.
But you would have to make an effort to do that. If I am doing an initial screening, I don't want to know anything more than your experience, abilities, expertise, and skills. If you get an interview, it's based on your merit, not what you look like, your race, age, etc. Of course if I interview someone, I will know these things, but anyone looking those things up are doing so for reasons they probably should not, like to discriminate.

That said, once someone passes the first interview, I'm going to look up their social media. I have had a few seemingly great candidates who I eliminated based on their social media pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment