Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 01:59 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,816,719 times

Advertisements

How many hours are you actually in your "office", doors shut, working, do not disturb VS taking advantage of working at home and watching TV, running errands, playing with kids, etc etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 03:21 PM

345 posts, read 252,263 times
When I worked at home I seemed to never shut if off except to eat lunch and dinner and sleep. I was always checking my email and responding. I worked more hours when I worked from home. I don't have an exact number.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:17 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
How many hours are you actually in your "office", doors shut, working, do not disturb VS taking advantage of working at home and watching TV, running errands, playing with kids, etc etc?

Typically the jobs you can do from home require you to deliver measurable results .If you want to spend time doing other things you can, but you will need to make time for these tasks you are expected to complete.

When the workload is light, instead of sitting at the office crawling the internet, sure you can relax at home. So it's not really a question of hours worked, more a question of completing assigned tasks on time.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:09 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
Typically the jobs you can do from home require you to deliver measurable results .If you want to spend time doing other things you can, but you will need to make time for these tasks you are expected to complete.

When the workload is light, instead of sitting at the office crawling the internet, sure you can relax at home. So it's not really a question of hours worked, more a question of completing assigned tasks on time.
Yup.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:20 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,627 times
I work from home a few days/week. I don't work any more or less just because I'm at home.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:52 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,725,104 times
I run my own business from home. I put in probably 25-30 hours per week. I bill by the project and not by the hour, though, so my clients don't know or care. They're interested in results, not how many hours I have my butt in my office chair.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:08 AM

346 posts, read 550,668 times
I do the same hours of work at home as I would at the office. If something needs to be done, it will get done regardless of where I am. I'll definitely say that I work "smarter" at home as there's more incentives to get a task done faster than at the office, because I can then be able to do a load of laundry or turn on the tv, pick up the kids from the bus stop, etc.. Whereas at the office, I have less options with my unused time so I would feel less incline to push myself beyond 100%.

But yeah... with what I do day-to-day, I can finish my work while sitting on the toilet if I want to (not that I would but just trying to make a point.)

Old 05-15-2019, 10:01 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post

But yeah... with what I do day-to-day, I can finish my work while sitting on the toilet if I want to (not that I would but just trying to make a point.)
You can do that at work too, if you have a nicer restroom and a laptop. If part of your job function involves reading or answering emails, there's no reason at all to have a bowel movement which you aren't getting paid for. Working from home or not.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:11 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,577 times
I'm a freelance writer and am not employed by anyone who checks up on me or requires specific hours. I usually do 5-6 hours of billable hours per day, meaning I am directly paid for those since I'm working on a client's project. I also work about 2-3 more hours per day on things like managing email, marketing, website updates/building, product creation, and writing fiction, which I hope to do full-time one day.

I have an elderly mother and two adult sons at home, one disabled and one I'm mentoring in small business development right now, so I'm pretty darn busy.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:56 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Once in a while i'll work from home. I find that I can get my CAD work done easier at home vs in the office where others are always coming up to me asking for my opinion on something, or to look at something with them.

I may only work 6 hours, vs 8 hours in the office...but I find those 6 hours are better focused on my given metrics, vs when i'm in the office. There, I might only spend 4 hours working on my project, and 4 hours dealing with other fires that could be put out by others instead of myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment