Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 12:31 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times

Advertisements

Where is the OP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 03:21 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
There is a researcher (economics & professor) that has insights on morals, ethics, truths, and lies. He has written several books that are well received. Perennial Nobel economics nominee. His name slips my mind. My books are at my son's place CD people, help me out.
Are you replying to me? I asked the OP what the fears are that caused him to initiate testing. Your post here went somewhere else.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:23 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Where is the OP?

"...has left the building."

Old 05-17-2019, 07:20 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Can someone please state why smoking prior to an international trip is a no-no? I just don't understand the reasoning. About 10 people have asked in this thread and no one has even tried to answer. Are they worried that the employee is going to take pot with them on the trip?

I understand the employee lied and that probably shouldn't be tolerated, but the test for prior drug usage seems unusual and a waste of money.
It is actually worse than just a waste of money.

Employees will fail this test not only if they smoke it, but even if they use it as a medicine in edible form.

In 33 states medical marijuana is legal and prescribed by doctors for a number of different reasons. So employees are to be treated like second class citizens or even fired for taking their prescription?

"No Travel For You!"

This is exactly why legislation has been introduced in the past to try to prevent companies from discriminating against medical marijuana patients. Eventually some kind of needed protection like this will get passed into law. It is the only way to stamp out the stigma that lingers like a foul odor (no pun intended).

Residual stigma, left over from the last 82 years of marijuana prohibition, is just dripping not only from this thread, but from this company's drug testing policies too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
"...has left the building."
Or the OP has already fired a valuable, productive employee. On the other hand, I'll be optimistic and hope that the employee has quit working for this company on their own accord.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:28 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Follow company policy. If poilicy is not working well for the company, get policy changed.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:33 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Where is the OP?
Yeah, I doubt he's coming back.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:41 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Follow company policy. If poilicy is not working well for the company, get policy changed.
Actually, getting that policy changed (prohibition) has been an ongoing process for over 50 years now.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:56 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garylancelot View Post
Fellow Coloradans (or anyone else willing to chime in!),

As you know, this whole "legalized" marijuana issue has become a bit of a challenge when it comes to finding employees who can keep themselves clean. At my company, a big part of our employees' role is to travel to countries all over the world to do ground surveys. Before purchasing plane tickets, we require employees to undergo a drug test to ensure that we won't have any issues while employees travel.

Most employees are straightforward and will let me know beforehand that they won't pass the test; an honesty which I appreciate. A couple days ago however, an employee deliberately brought a clean urine sample to his test with the intent of cheating and deceiving the system. He is a valuable employee and I really like the guy, but at the end of the day, can I trust him? He humbly came to me and spoke with me face to face about what happened because he wanted to be open about it rather than me hearing about it from another source. I don't think he would have done so had he not been caught.

I could simply restrict him from traveling ever again, or I could just let him go based on the overall possibility of future dishonesty.

What would you do?
I would realize that not being able to pass a marijuana screen is not the end of the world. Most Americans who missed behave in foreign countries are under the influence of alcohol not drugs.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:58 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Alcohol, caffeine and nicotine are not illegal in most countries (other than alcohol being illegal in some heavily Muslim countries).

It's a tricky issue and I don't have an answer- I support the decriminalization of marijuana but in many countries if you're caught with it you're in deep trouble and the US embassy isn't going to be able to do a thing. I can see why the OP would want to avoid that happening.
The fact that someone may use marijuana in their home has no bearing on whether they’re going to use it in a foreign country. Most people are not stupid enough to try to sneak it onto a plane or to buy it in a foreign country. I use at home, but I would never ever do so in a foreign country. Not even Jamaica.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:10 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,221,264 times
You require employees to take a drug test prior to travel. He brought a clean urine sample to deliberately cheat the test. Seems to me he should be let go. Of course, what does your written policy - I assume it's written - say about discipline for failing to comply or for cheating? I don't see how you can permit even one violation. One violation to me means dishonesty, and the drug use.
Geez, why couldn't he just forego like others did and tell you he wouldn't pass a test?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment