Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 06:30 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
It's very challenging dealing with incompetence in the workplace - especially seeing it on so many levels. I hadn't thought about the fact that when a company has people who've been there a long time, it's a warning sign of bad workers run by bad management. There may be some truth to that.
It's definitely not a hard fast rule, but overall, the better people (workers and management) tend to quit if there's too much incompetence. Some people stay in the same role for decades because they just want a comfortable job, and are content where they are (which is obviously fine), but others do so because they can't find anything better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 06:47 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
My original point is that, if incompetent coworkers and managerial boobs are so common, why is it that everyone posting in this type of thread is a "star performer"??
I've seen few claims other than that they're competent or the most knowledgeable person in their department.

As with technology, superior engineering is no guarantee of economic success.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:53 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
Nope these really are the hours he keeps. I have never seen anything like this in my career. He's done zilch in 3 years. His Director oversees 9 departments. She is rarely in the office and travels frequently to our other officrs scattered across the country. She really has no idea what he does. He's in his little silo and rarely interacts with other departments. Basically hides in his office and prays no one asks him anything...lol

Other departments bring all the issues to me to resolve.
There is no way a three hour a day person doesn't get outed. People resent it when other people don't come to work.
They talk and the talk spreads until even the biggest goof management figures it out.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:18 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Hmm. Sounds like you've been passed over 8 times. But I digress.

My original point is that, if incompetent coworkers and managerial boobs are so common, why is it that everyone posting in this type of thread is a "star performer"??
Well, because the incompetent boobs wouldn't be here complaining about the competent people who get the work done. Seriously, think about it. It's somewhat similar to survivorship bias.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:23 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
There is no way a three hour a day person doesn't get outed. People resent it when other people don't come to work.
They talk and the talk spreads until even the biggest goof management figures it out.
Oh, lots of reasons. We had a manager who hid out for three years. He was shielded by his boss. They were old buddies going back a couple of previous jobs. His boss came here and then when this position opened up, hired him into it. And then when his boss left her last year, he left within a few weeks after.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:13 PM

134 posts, read 103,158 times
Yes! Most have left due to this. You can read older comments of mine and see that the team of “5” I’m on has had HUGE turnover in less than 5 years. 13-14 people have left....of their own acccord or forced out. I had high hopes for this job and company when I started. I quickly learned otherwise. The mismanagement is unbelievable. The leaders are complete frauds and bully’s. The culture is one of lies. Management lies to upper management/the board and encourages the employees to lie so that upper management doesn’t find out. Crazy!

I have stayed because: 1. I am 52 now and it is extremely difficult to compete at this age in the market. 2. Honestly, I don’t have the drive anymore to be a cutthroat sales person or upper management, esp in This culture. No rewards, lack of recognition, etc to make me drive to the top. It’s all favoritism. . In addition, I just want to enjoy my life as I still have young kids. 3. This job has not provided any skills or training and I feel I have lost all my skills/they are irrelevant since I got laid off 5+ years ago. 4. Laziness I guess but I do my job and get paid decently.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:09 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
Good people tend to job hop a little, given they don't put up with things like that - that's an absurd idea. Good people tend to stay to the end with the team, to work hard to bring the ship up when it has holes and starts to sink. Sometime those people may be able to save the ship; sometime not. It's not an easy job. Bad people tend to take advantage of the ship when it’s good and sailing well, and they may even abuse the ship; and when it starts to wear out, they jump to other ship.

There are always good and bad long time and new employees.

Yes, some long time employees may feel entitled and are lazy and mean. Many of them get older and become weaker and sick and become burdens for the company. Those affect the ones who work hard, and are healthy because they know how to take care of themselves, even though they’ve been there for a long time and older also.

And there are young employees who are eager to learn more and work hard and help the company to improve; and there are young employees who think they studied so hard, they got degrees, they are entitled for good jobs with high pay right at the beginning. If they don’t get what they want, they feel angry, upset, and they start to seek jobs somewhere else.

And most employers want to pay the least and make employees to work the most. And eventually they want to get rid of the employees who have been there for a long time because they (the employees) have experience and high pay, and they want to hire new ones with less money.

Nowadays, it seems like there are more and more people with no patience, no tolerance and no loyalty anymore (yeah, someone may say loyalty is an imagination, is a stupid idea). Most people think to be go-getters, job hoppers, to be able to do the least and get the most is smart and great – it’s something to be proud of. And for employers too, when they have used the young, healthy, eager, energetic, talented employees for a number of years, and then they want to let those employees go because those employees are expensive.

That’s the problem of both sides: Employers want employees to do the most and pay the least; and employees want to get pay the most and do the least.

And there are some people who are narcissistic, controlling, incompetent and jealous, and they will never admit that they have problems.
Not really. Good employees will absolutely try to fix things. If there are larger cultural issues that mean it's unlikely to actually fix the problems without fundamental changes to upper management (ie, cultural changes), your best employees will leave. The best employees will try to help change things for a year or two, but if it becomes clear there's enough resistance that things will not change, only the bad employees stick around at that point.

Someone who job hops every year or two is a risk. Someone who has been in the same position for 30 years is also a risk. That's not to say there aren't very valid reasons to job hop every few years or stay somewhere for 30 years, but they often are indicators of risk. You brought up loyalty. That is a concern. I'll be loyal to a company, provided they give back. It goes both ways. I will try to change things for two years or so, if I see no progress, no willingness to change, no admission of cultural flaws, there's little point in staying with that company.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:46 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
yea but theres no point in hoping for company to change. Once the rot sets in, that is it. Ive seen good companies turn poor but never seen the opposite happen.

Once the rot sets in, you may as well sell the company. As far as job hopping goes to escape rotten work cultures, meh. It may pay off and you’ll luck out. You may just end up in another dysfunctional mismanaged hole. And there are farrr more of those than quality employers now

It’s also foolish IMO to job hop for equal or lesser pay. Money needs to be a factor when making a decisions as well and employers have become cheaper and greedier with each year that passes.

Last edited by DorianRo; 05-23-2019 at 06:56 AM..

Old 05-23-2019, 07:25 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
I’ve worked for a large insurance company as a sales manager for a little over 2 years now. I’ve stayed busy and have done my best to do a good job. But lately, I’ve begun to feel much malaise and frustration with the company’s incompetence. This has showed itself in terms of proposing over the top member benefits to horrible software programs that repeat themselves year after year. I’ve invested much time in trying to build new relationships with agents to sell our products, but seem to always lose them when the company’s benefits/services blow up in their face of their customers. I now have a “F*ck it” attitude that I will fail or not be my BEST in my customer’s eyes-depressing thought. Anyone else feel this way?

Companies can be their own worst enemy sometimes. The company I work for used to be a very good one, but they sold out a few years ago to a holding company that only buys companies to flip. What they do is, they make the company look profitable, and then look for a buyer.

The problem with this is, the holding company has no interest in actually growing the company and they have no experience in this particular market, so they strip the company bare, they cut hours of the employees to save money, and they raise their prices through the roof.

It really leaves the employees with a company that is so different from what it once was, and seasoned employees are replaced with cheaper, young workers, who really have no idea what they are doing and how to properly take care of a customer. We all see it as the beginning of the end.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:24 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,323,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Not really. Good employees will absolutely try to fix things. If there are larger cultural issues that mean it's unlikely to actually fix the problems without fundamental changes to upper management (ie, cultural changes), your best employees will leave. The best employees will try to help change things for a year or two, but if it becomes clear there's enough resistance that things will not change, only the bad employees stick around at that point.

Someone who job hops every year or two is a risk. Someone who has been in the same position for 30 years is also a risk. That's not to say there aren't very valid reasons to job hop every few years or stay somewhere for 30 years, but they often are indicators of risk. You brought up loyalty. That is a concern. I'll be loyal to a company, provided they give back. It goes both ways. I will try to change things for two years or so, if I see no progress, no willingness to change, no admission of cultural flaws, there's little point in staying with that company.
You have some valid points. I agree with you on the second paragraph.

However, when a company becomes bad, with so many incompetent employees, it is because of the management. People in the management manage, lead and create the culture of the company. The employees follow. When they lead with bullying attitude and play favoritism, the employees will learn that attitude from them, the good ones will be upset and hate the management, and lots of employees will hate each other. The favorite ones don't have to work so hard. The good ones will withdraw.

About jumping job, if the job market were good, and if it were so easy to find job somewhere else, nobody would need to be told to jump job. Everybody would quit anytime. When the job market is not good, and the way most of the management running the corporate world now, if you want to jump job, you may as well as jump from the frying pan to the burning stove. Yes there are small percentages of good companies out there, and there are small percentages of people who are capable or are lucky to get a better job with higher pay and/or to find a better work environment than their current workplace.

When you are in your 20s, 30s, it's much easier to jump job. When you are 50 and up, it's not so easy.

Anyway, there are good and bad, competent and incompetent old and young, long time and new employees in every company.

The point is when employers hire leaders, managers and employees, they need to know how to hire the good ones, especially the ones in the management who know how to lead employees with example in a good way to build the teams to be good, to bring the company up, not to tear the teams and bring the company down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment