Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 08:18 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,041,939 times

Advertisements

Our management is pushing hard for more analytics in what we do but when I ask for the tools to do it, they reply "you already have Office." To them analysis is taking an average like they learned in grade school and they dont even begin to grasp there are much deeper tools.

This morning I had to submit a report that I know is very poor quality because the data doesn't exist. Yet management is happy as can be because the format is good. TPS reports anyone?

No question, just venting my frustration at trying to do a job with both hands tied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 08:40 AM

780 posts, read 425,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Our management is pushing hard for more analytics in what we do but when I ask for the tools to do it, they reply "you already have Office." To them analysis is taking an average like they learned in grade school and they dont even begin to grasp there are much deeper tools.

This morning I had to submit a report that I know is very poor quality because the data doesn't exist. Yet management is happy as can be because the format is good. TPS reports anyone?

No question, just venting my frustration at trying to do a job with both hands tied.
I feel you, man.

In my analytics role, without getting into all the nuts and bolts, I support the dreaded sales staff and client services teams to provide reporting and analysis for our clients. They have a tendency to over promise to clients on our reporting capabilities, but then do nothing to help our internal team set up the reporting that we need with the vendors we get the reporting from. So then they're breathing down our necks when we still don't have reporting set up a few months after signing the client. I've told management that we need to do better at being proactive with this stuff for our sake and for client satisfaction and retention. And while some of suggestions have been embraced (i.e. a reporting checklist for our RFPs), I've mostly been told that this is just the way it is and we have to deal with it. This new year was such a pain in the rear with getting a handful of clients set up that I'm burnt out already after my first year and I don't want to put up with this going forward.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:54 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,882,899 times
Yes this is happening across all departments in all F500s....

I my final hope is on Bitcoin!!!!

Old 05-17-2019, 04:03 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
OP,
this sounds like the premise of any number of Dilbert cartoons ;-)

https://dilbert.com/search_results?terms=presentation

Old 05-17-2019, 08:40 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,251 times
So your job now is to quantify how much more money you could make or save to justify the expense of the software you want.

Talk to them in dollars, you need to ask for something with an estimation of how much more profitable you could be with the new tool

Old 05-17-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
OP,
this sounds like the premise of any number of Dilbert cartoons ;-)

https://dilbert.com/search_results?terms=presentation
Oh we can name who in our office is which Dilbert character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
So your job now is to quantify how much more money you could make or save to justify the expense of the software you want.

Talk to them in dollars, you need to ask for something with an estimation of how much more profitable you could be with the new tool
That part was easy. Did that before I even brought up the discussion. Cost and alternative products with pros/cons of each. We have some non technical people in key positions and it seems their whole goal in life is to be a contrarian. Somewhere in their careers they learned a particular program and so that is their solution to every problem. I kid you not when I say I've gotten documents from them to review that were written in a text box in Excel. I really wish I could say these are all older generation folks who are afraid of computers but I can't. One of them is really quite good with PowerPoint, but they are just out of their depth when it comes to scientific and engineering software.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:49 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,155 times
So basically they want you to fake it until they make it.

Ridiculous.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:38 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,862 times
What type of analytics you are looking for ? You can use software such as R for free which pretty much does every analytics you can think of.?

Old 05-18-2019, 07:04 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
What type of analytics you are looking for ? You can use software such as R for free which pretty much does every analytics you can think of.?
Except at some companies, it is a violation of company policy for downloading and installing software not approved for company use. The database is so locked down that you won't be given access, due to data security protocols.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Except at some companies, it is a violation of company policy for downloading and installing software not approved for company use. The database is so locked down that you won't be given access, due to data security protocols.
Bingo!

We can't even directly query the database. My normal process is to collect data from several precanned reports produced by the guardians of the database (no one else has direct access; they call it data security -- I call it job security). Then manually copy and paste those into Excel sheets and clean up the trash that comes across with it. The look for, or sometimes manually create common threads to link the data and merge two sheets into one, and the merge that one with another, and so on bootstrapping back to a much of the full dataset as possible. Making things worse, one third of the most important data is kept in a separate database that has separate guardians that have to query it separately. And it is keyed to a product number where the definitions of the product numbers are kept in a Word document.

At times it makes me feel like I'm working at Bletchley Park on the Enigma code and when I can manage to crib enough together to make a breakthrough, it's too late to be useful in decision making.

You'd think all this data protection would be for some great secret like nuclear codes or something. Nope, just organizational stovepipes. These different databases were developed over time by different organizations who jealously guard their little bit of turf.

We're a good 20 years behind in using data to manage our operations. Management knows we need better data to use in our decision making. Which brings us back full circle to the original post: They know we need analytics. They want the results of using analytics. But when we ask for software and database access across the stovepipes, they simply fall back to the status quo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment