Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 09:03 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times

Advertisements

This is so annoying. A recruiter from an insurance co called me about a job she had 'selling insurance.' I don't want to sell insurance and my job is the FURTHEST thing from selling insurance.

Do these people call EVERYONE with a pulse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 09:09 AM

780 posts, read 425,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
This is so annoying. A recruiter from an insurance co called me about a job she had 'selling insurance.' I don't want to sell insurance and my job is the FURTHEST thing from selling insurance.

I think these are essentially call centers that pose as 'recruiters', but don't actually have a recruiting agreement with the employer. I think their goal is to call up random potential candidates they find on various job boards who may be interested that they can then go back to the employer and try to sell them the recruitment for the position. In a lot of cases, these so-called recruiters tend to be from SE Asia, and I can hardly understand what they're telling me. They usually follow up with an email with a poorly written job description.

To answer your question, yes, I believe they call anyone with a pulse in hopes that they will get interested candidates to sell to the employer.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:10 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:

Some sales jobs, and some insurance sales, are MLMs. Anyone can join. They'll do anything to recruit people.

I would block the recruiter's phone number if they called me about insurance sales.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
I think these are essentially call centers that pose as 'recruiters', but don't actually have a recruiting agreement with the employer. I think their goal is to call up random potential candidates they find on various job boards who may be interested that they can then go back to the employer and try to sell them the recruitment for the position. In a lot of cases, these so-called recruiters tend to be from SE Asia, and I can hardly understand what they're telling me. They usually follow up with an email with a poorly written job description.

To answer your question, yes, I believe they call anyone with a pulse in hopes that they will get interested candidates to sell to the employer.
This was a local person. In my suburb outside of NYC. It wasn't a call center. I looked her up on LinkedIn and she does actually work for the co. I believe the position is legit and she is actually staffing for it, but my background is so far from it.

It's like calling someone who is a dentist for a mechanic job.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:17 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Yep sounds like a commission only sales job. What typically happens is you have to pay them for various licenses and costs and end up selling to your friends and family who buy out of support and pity and once you run out of contacts you end up high and dry having worked for free paying out more than you collected.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:19 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,627 times
Yes, they only get paid if they find someone to hire. What do they lose in cold calling you?

Old 05-17-2019, 09:26 AM

780 posts, read 425,251 times
Quote:
This was a local person. In my suburb outside of NYC. It wasn't a call center. I looked her up on LinkedIn and she does actually work for the co. I believe the position is legit and she is actually staffing for it, but my background is so far from it.

It's like calling someone who is a dentist for a mechanic job.
Well, it's insurance sales, which is along the lines of MLM as far as I'm concerned. So yes, they probably call anyone in hopes to find someone who's desperate enough to take on a probably mostly commission-based role that takes little to no skill. Can you use a phone to cold call people? Can you push our various insurance products onto them? If so, we have a job for you!

Old 05-17-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
Well, it's insurance sales, which is along the lines of MLM as far as I'm concerned. So yes, they probably call anyone in hopes to find someone who's desperate enough to take on a probably mostly commission-based role that takes little to no skill. Can you use a phone to cold call people? Can you push our various insurance products onto them? If so, we have a job for you!
All of that sounds awful to me, lol.

Good for the folks who succeed at it though.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:47 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
There are several big insurance companies that seem to recruit anyone they can lay hands on that has the slightest qualification for the job. The job being a bottom level insurance agent working almost entirely on commission.

I got scads of these calls until I removed one job from my resume that wasn't relevant to my career goals. Yes, it was a VP of business, but it was more or less an adjunct role. But State Farm and others thought I'd just make a dandy insurance salesman because of it.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:34 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
I get those types of solicitation via email through Linkedin. They usually start, " I saw your profile on Linkedin and you seem to be a good fit for our organization." Umm no, did you really read my Linkedin profile? I have zero credentials in anything that you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment