Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 07:53 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessyankee View Post
I need to give my employer 2 weeks notice. I drive school bus for a private company at a school district.
I notified my employer I'm sensitive to strong fragrances that triggers asthma (dr note). Have a student using excessive amounts of body spray which is new, bothering my breathing. Student also has behavioral issues and is required to sit behind me lol.I tried moving him to back of bus which was ok by my manager but school said I can't isolate him.

Anyway the school district has a dress code policy of no strong scents but they choose not to enforce it in my case.
So I need a letter stating the above is why I'm quitting.
Suggestions please.

No, you just THINK you need a letter stating the above. All of us who have left a job would have loved to vent and let them know what we really think...…….BAD IDEA, it will come back to haunt you.

First of all, it will accomplish nothing. Secondly, they will view you as a trouble maker and these are the people who will be giving you a reference , and/or maybe hiring you back some day. (you say no now, but a lot of us have gone back to the same place we left).

Simply say " I have decided to search for other opportunities, and my last day at this position will be ______. I thank you for entrusting me with this position, and will only have good things to say about my time here."

End of sentence, end of story. Don't burn bridges, EVER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 09:00 AM

724 posts, read 529,353 times
Quote:
OK thanks. I'll keep it simple then.
Don’t. If you’re looking to qualify for a constructive quit and UI.

Point out that you’ve tried to rectify the issue and the employer had refused.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:01 AM

724 posts, read 529,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
No, you just THINK you need a letter stating the above. All of us who have left a job would have loved to vent and let them know what we really think...…….BAD IDEA, it will come back to haunt you.

First of all, it will accomplish nothing. Secondly, they will view you as a trouble maker and these are the people who will be giving you a reference , and/or maybe hiring you back some day. (you say no now, but a lot of us have gone back to the same place we left).

Simply say " I have decided to search for other opportunities, and my last day at this position will be ______. I thank you for entrusting me with this position, and will only have good things to say about my time here."

End of sentence, end of story. Don't burn bridges, EVER.
Wrong. If the employee wants to protect their ability to collect unemployment.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:59 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
You shouldn't be resiging, you should be starting with a letter requesting reasonable accommodation under the Americans With Disabilities Act.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...mmodation.html

And contact your local anti-discrimination agency to see if they can assist you

Old 05-18-2019, 11:05 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Ask to be reassigned based on the scent initiating your asthma. Perhaps buttress your request with a note from your physician. Give your employer the opportunity to accommodate you. An asthma attack is a risk to your passengers.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:45 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,889,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You shouldn't be resiging, you should be starting with a letter requesting reasonable accommodation under the Americans With Disabilities Act.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...mmodation.html

And contact your local anti-discrimination agency to see if they can assist you

Exactly.

Old 05-18-2019, 02:55 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Why can't you send the kid home with a nice note asking the parents to make their kid stop using the body spray due to your asthma and the enforced seating right behind you? Any parent worth their salt would be happy to comply.

If you are happy with your job, why give it up? Change what you can.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:31 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,368,504 times
Quote:
I need to give my employer 2 weeks notice. I drive school bus for a private company at a school district.
I notified my employer I'm sensitive to strong fragrances that triggers asthma (dr note). Have a student using excessive amounts of body spray which is new, bothering my breathing. Student also has behavioral issues and is required to sit behind me lol.I tried moving him to back of bus which was ok by my manager but school said I can't isolate him.

Anyway the school district has a dress code policy of no strong scents but they choose not to enforce it in my case.
So I need a letter stating the above is why I'm quitting.
Suggestions please.
Don't resign. You need to write a letter to upper management there stating that because of your history of asthma and allergies, you require a fragrance free work environment. Ask them to alert the parents that the bus is now fragrance free and that no student is permitted to wear fragrances including but not limited to perfumes or colognes. Explain that you have a serious medical condition and it can't be controlled without the cooperation of the students' parents. Mention that this is similar into those who have peanut allergies. Wearing a fragrance for these students is purely optional, while breathing for you is not. You request their assistance in correcting this problem which has a negative impact on your health.

There are many work places which enforce a fragrance free work environment. You aren't asking for anything special. Is is more than just this one student, they all need to be put on notice.

The very idea of kids wearing fragrances is entirely unnecessary.

Write the letter, send it to your boss and up the chain copies of the letter to. I would send them registered by postal mail. You do this, they will take it seriously and take action to do something about it for you. If they don't, then you have created a paper trail to get unemployment.

At the very least, you will help not only yourself by others suffering from these fragrances. There are very likely other children there who have asthma/allergies and are being made sick by this too.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:12 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,498,140 times
You could write a letter saying not that you're quitting, but that you're unable to continue for the following reason and then re-state it, along with the fact that you have a doctor's letter dated whatever the date is stating it's unhealthy for you to work in that environment. Sorry and thank you and see if they try to work it out or let you go, in which case you're well covered for UI.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:29 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,222,501 times
Quote:
IANAL (but I play one on TV)

Looks like a clear violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act. You have a disability. You let your employer know. The employer refused to do the smallest accommodation (allowing you to put the kid in the back) or forbidding the kid from wearing such fragrances.

Talk to a lawyer. You may even be able to get them to take the case on contingency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment