Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 807 times

Advertisements

Long story short, I’m 24 years old. Never had a job in my life. Dropout of high school 5 years ago. And my mental health problems have gotten worse. From suicidal thoughts to social anxiety. I can’t go outside without panicking or rehearsing everything I’m going to say. However, I’m planning on visiting an adult school where I have the option of getting a high school diploma. I am also now trying to get any job. Having no work experience nor an education has made it a bit harder for me. In other words, my nonexistent past is catching up with me. So if there’s any kid here enrolled in high school and you have thought of dropping out, please think twice before making such decision.

Anyways, back to my question. A few people have recommended the military. Of course. But can I really join? I didn’t think that was possible given my history with mental health. Although, I have dealt with it on my own. Meaning, I have no medical record of it. Or should I just stick to finding any working class job? What do you think will be best for me.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:51 PM

1,487 posts, read 782,600 times
The military might make your mental health issues worse. You will be experiencing an environment of extreme regimentation , deprivation and cruelty. Is that what you want? Won't that mess with your head?
Job Corps is an another option. They have sites all over America. You pick what you want to learn, and that's where you go. You can learn how to be a pastry chef, a commercial cook, construction trades, I think they even still teach ice carving.
You said you dropped out of high school five years ago. Five years ago you were 19. You wouldn't have been in high school unless you were held back a year, or two.
You'll have to get your GED no matter where you go, military or Job Corps. I don't think you can join the military w/out a diploma or a GED. You'll have to get that on your own if you go military. If you go Job Corps, they send you to classes to get your GED first, then you go on to your trade of choice.
If you choose the military, you will have to abide by the protocol while you are in the military, which means saluting every superior personnel. If you show disrespect, you will be punished. They even have a thing called "reckless eyeballing" where you scoff at somebody and roll in your eyes back in your head. That will garner you about two weeks of sone **** detail you don't want. Think very carefully before you choose the military. You can't just leave if you are miserable. You will be a deserter, hunted down and jailed. You signed up for for four years minimum, and that's what you HAVE TO DO. If we go to war with Iran, you will be deployed. Think about that. Your Chief Executive Officer is Trump. You have to honor him, and follow his bidding. Do you like Trump? You think he makes rational decisions? You have to do what he wants. He's in charge of your life while in the military. You go where he sends you, and you do what your Commanding Officer tells you to do, following Trump's decisions. Remember, you're a grunt. You do not think for yourself. You do and think as you're told.
You better hurry up and decide.Twenty four is the cutoff age for Job Corps

Last edited by AleeGee; 05-21-2019 at 03:38 PM..

Old 05-21-2019, 02:56 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,010,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdeath View Post
Long story short, I’m 24 years old. Never had a job in my life. Dropout of high school 5 years ago. And my mental health problems have gotten worse. From suicidal thoughts to social anxiety. I can’t go outside without panicking or rehearsing everything I’m going to say. However, I’m planning on visiting an adult school where I have the option of getting a high school diploma. I am also now trying to get any job. Having no work experience nor an education has made it a bit harder for me. In other words, my nonexistent past is catching up with me. So if there’s any kid here enrolled in high school and you have thought of dropping out, please think twice before making such decision.

Anyways, back to my question. A few people have recommended the military. Of course. But can I really join? I didn’t think that was possible given my history with mental health. Although, I have dealt with it on my own. Meaning, I have no medical record of it. Or should I just stick to finding any working class job? What do you think will be best for me.

If you choose Job Corp..you need to do it this year because age 24 is the age limit.I don't think it has changed.No military for you because of your mental health issues which will become worse since it sounds like you aren't taking any medications as of yet.
Job Corps would work for you.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:49 PM

64 posts, read 44,700 times
You need to get your GED (or high school diploma).

If the Job Corps does not work out for you, have you thought about an apprentice program? And these programs are not restricted to just construction type jobs (e.g., electrical trades), but include others like cooking, manufacturing, etc.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdl...ntice/programs

Look at the Training section (Pell grants for training).

Your state should have something similar. Maybe a trip to your local community college and a conversation with their guidance counselor might be productive for you.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:08 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times
Agreed with others. No military for you. You don't get a pass for social anxiety-- it's a very social environment as everyone is packed together, very crude environment with your fellow recruits, ranking officers who like to throw their weight around because they can. You don't get a pass for being depressed. You panic at going outside? The drill sergeants don't care. Never mind if you get deployed and your life or someone else's depends on you not panicking at going outside. And don't join the military if the possible consequences (death, lifelong physical or mental disability) aren't worth it to you. I know of a kid who only signed up for the college money... instead of becoming an engineer like he wanted, he became a corpse at 19. I know plenty of people who will forever deal with physical issues because of injuries sustained in training, never even saw action. It is not a decision to be made lightly.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:40 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
You cannot join the military be cause of your lack of formal education, nor are you a desireable candidate because of your mental health issues. The military is simply not for you. Get a basic education, and see what type of mental health services your county social services office has available.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:16 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Please do NOT consider the military.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:43 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdeath View Post

I dont think the military would be good for u,OP.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:09 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,413,419 times
Try warehouse work.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:11 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,581 times
You need a high school diploma these days. Mental health issues are going to be a problem.

Trust me, if you are suicidal in any way, please don't join. There was a guy in my Basic Training unit who tried to kill himself with his fingernail clippers and they stripped this guy of even his shoelaces.

He was discharged so ****ing fast.

Please, don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment