Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 08:10 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Hi, I did a unpaid internship as a bagger at a grocery store.I looked at the law and it said that unpaid internships should not do a job that a paid employee would otherwise do and should not replace a paid worker. The grocery store would have had to pay someone to do the work I did for free.I did all the duties a paid employee would have been paid for.I received no training from the store while i was doing my unpaid internship. The company benefited because they did not have to pay me for the work i was doing for them.Was this legal?
How else could an internship work if you weren’t doing the job of the workplace? I don’t really understand an internship as a bagger at a grocery store though. Were you a college student? What was your internship in? In general and internship is to train you in that job to have you work in that position so you can learn the ins and outs of it by doing it. With my degree, occupational therapy, we had to do two separate three month long unpaid 40 hour a week internships. We did the exact same thing that the paid occupational therapist did. That’s the point of it. I feel like you’re skipping some details though however because I can’t imagine what you might’ve been majoring in that required an internship as a store bagger.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 06-03-2019 at 08:44 AM..

Old 06-03-2019, 08:12 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Were you planning on becoming a professional bagger after you graduate college?

Old 06-03-2019, 09:56 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
An internship as a bagger?! Good Lord.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:18 AM

6,451 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Maybe supply chain management? lol

Old 06-03-2019, 05:12 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,258,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Hi, I did a unpaid internship as a bagger at a grocery store.I looked at the law and it said that unpaid internships should not do a job that a paid employee would otherwise do and should not replace a paid worker. The grocery store would have had to pay someone to do the work I did for free.I did all the duties a paid employee would have been paid for.I received no training from the store while i was doing my unpaid internship. The company benefited because they did not have to pay me for the work i was doing for them.Was this legal?
Why are you asking now, except that you think there may be some very remote chance that this grocery store owes you a few dollars? The time to ask questions about pay and benefits is BEFORE you actually begin working. Apparently YOU agreed to the conditions before you started, and now you think the grocery store stuck it to you?

How did the company benefit from your “work” when you yourself acknowledge that you received no training? For all we know you created more work for the “real employees” because you were trying to do a job you weren’t trained to do.

You sound like just another in a very long line of people wanting something for nothing.

Grocery bagger indeed...

Old 06-04-2019, 09:24 AM

1,199 posts, read 725,230 times
Yes, be glad that you had the opportunity to intern at the store.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:19 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
businesses that classify an employee as an intern take on extra costs in training someone; therfore, they get tax breaks from it since an intern doesnt bring in revenue.

when i was in college, my summer job had to entitle me as engineering technician instead of intern since i had an actual production project deliverable.

several schools in the america east league operate on the trimester model where one or two semesters a year are at an off-campus co-op job. i fail to see how grocery bagger would provide college credit (is this a troll post ?).

Old 06-04-2019, 08:02 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
You have to intern to bag groceries?

Old 06-04-2019, 11:28 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Several years ago, a young woman started working evenings at a large grocery in my neighborhood. Her job was bagging and running errands for the checkers. As it turned out, she was a senior in college and was doing a paid internship, leading into a position as a management trainee, after she graduated. She was put into the bagging position, as the first step in learning the grocery business. Now, she's the night manager there and receives a good salary. So this does happen and even though being a bagger isn't high on the totem pole, you have to start somewhere in any business.

But it does sound like the OP was being taken for a ride by the grocery store and maybe by someone at the college, who was conning students into providing free labor. This person at the school may have been skimming some bucks out of the deal from the store. Sort of a low-echelon type of slavery.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:37 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Being a bagger would be an illegal unpaid internship in most cases. Your specific state might think no, but in general law it would. An illegal unpaid internship is replacing a job that would otherwise be paid with an intern who is not paid. An intern would either get paid or does not do a job that would otherwise replace a paid position. Bagging IS a paid position at stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment