Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 08:10 PM

24 posts, read 13,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Because he wants a reasonable salary?
Exactly. Outside of being an investment banker, lawyer, or doctor, salaries sometimes have huge ranges with organizations offering pitiful compensation packages. I was just approached by a recruiter who asked to interview me today. After speaking with the recruiter, for a fortune 200 company I should mention, he told me that I was making 20k more than the range. It's for the exact same type of work.

That's why I'm relentless about making more money. I spent way too many years in my 20's being too passive. After relocating, and a career change, I had to essentially start over since HR can't seem to transfer skills from previous jobs unless it is literally the keyword they are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 08:16 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,371,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X7L9 View Post
These salaries that I see on Glassdoor are seriously frustrating me. People making 160k with barely 10 years of experience based on what's shown on LinkedIn.

I get that we should always be grateful for what we have, but these six figure incomes are seemingly impossible to obtain. Is there an element of luck or what? The only reason I'm where I am at is because of successful, relentless job hopping. Waited another year and can't get anyone to pay six figures.

I'm in corporate training and my comp is at 90k. I have 4 years of experience and about to finish my master's.
I think it is safe to guess you aren't getting that Master's in accounting, finance, business or technology? Cause if you did, you should known that if you are at $90K after four years, it is not unrealistic to get to $160K in six more years, especially if you manage your career properly.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
I think it is safe to guess you aren't getting that Master's in accounting, finance, business or technology? Cause if you did, you should known that if you are at $90K after four years, it is not unrealistic to get to $160K in six more years, especially if you manage your career properly.
It actually is a degree related to Technology. The 160k was just a reference to people in roles in an individual contributor capacity (so not VPs) with barely a few years in their field yet making substantially a lot more. Fields that are not that specialized I might add, like in medicine for example. What's with the snark anyway, donkey?

Also, you aren't guaranteed to just double your salary just because you've been doing it for awhile. Sometimes you just simply cap out because it's what you can command. What I'm annoyed with is how cheap these organizations are.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:41 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,371,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X7L9 View Post

Also, you aren't guaranteed to just double your salary just because you've been doing it for awhile. Sometimes you just simply cap out because it's what you can command. What I'm annoyed with is how cheap these organizations are.
You work in technology, look at the math of the statement you are saying, it doesn't makes sense.

As I said, "it is not unrealistic to get to $160K in six more years, especially if you manage your career properly." These are your numbers, we don't read minds, these are the numbers you stated. You are at $90K with 4 years, and you wonder how it was possible to go to $160K in another six years, right?

No one said managing your career properly is accomplished by staying with the same organization. You always get a larger bump in salary if you know how to negotiate, select the right opportunities and be willing to relocate if needed.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
You work in technology, look at the math of the statement you are saying, it doesn't makes sense.

As I said, "it is not unrealistic to get to $160K in six more years, especially if you manage your career properly." These are your numbers, we don't read minds, these are the numbers you stated. You are at $90K with 4 years, and you wonder how it was possible to go to $160K in another six years, right?

No one said managing your career properly is accomplished by staying with the same organization. You always get a larger bump in salary if you know how to negotiate, select the right opportunities and be willing to relocate if needed.
It wasn't a figure from my field. I was just saying in general. My apologies that it wasn't clear. I was ranting anyway. I wasn't saying how do I get to that figure if I'm at 90k and others in my field are at that number. I'll be lucky to get over 140k after 10 years. I just want to get in the six figure range, but people are being cheap as hell.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:45 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
First, don't believe everything you read online! Second, income levels are very different depending where you live. For example, my DH does make 6 figures as a Mechanical Engineer, but we live in the Chicagoland area. If we lived in South Carolina or Florida for example he would make half of what he makes. Also, he's been at his job for 20 years so he didn't start out making 6 figures.

My advice, if you think you're worth more than look elsewhere, but don't assume a 6 figure job is going to fall into your lap without experience and education.

The difference between Chicagoland and Florida salaries does exist but it is more like 15-25%, not half. If the difference was that substantial, we would be moving our engineering functions to Florida from Chicago.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:52 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Here's your post, set to music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ooF...rt_radio=1&t=6

Old 06-08-2019, 12:56 AM

343 posts, read 352,994 times
Man... I was just starting to feel so accomplished to reach 60K after nearly 10 years in my field...

No stress, you'll get there. Some people just catch the tide at the right time. Everybody in my family makes more than me, and I'm the oldest sibling and have the most training and education.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:27 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,323,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The funniest post on CD today, maybe even you could have broken the internet if CD had a wider audience!

Old 06-08-2019, 08:29 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,323,543 times
Sometimes a perspective is enlightening
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/24/how-...every-age.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment