Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 02:28 PM

2,030 posts, read 4,528,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Excellent point. And as someone else pointed out, law firms are notoriously tight.

On a side note, I think it's interesting that, in Maryland, employers of administrative professionals are exempt from the requirements relating to state minimum wage.
Not as cut and dry as that. If you are an executive, administrative or professional employee that is salaried, you are exempt from over time pay. However, your salary must be at least $455 a week to be eligible to be "salaried." This equates to $11.37 an hour based on a 40 hour week which is higher than the state's current minimum wage. Of course, when your employer takes advantage of you being "salaried" and works you to death, then of course you are making below minimum wage.

Note: not all administrative professionals are salaried. Depending on the level of your position, many are paid hourly (like me ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 02:45 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,480,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
Not as cut and dry as that. If you are an executive, administrative or professional employee that is salaried, you are exempt from over time pay.
if you were a professional, you would have a good estimate on how much time you're expected to work... and ask for a salary that includes those "extra" hours

why else would you accept $X if you don't know how many hours is needed for the job? even day laborers know how to make that calculations and they stand outside lowes

Old 06-10-2019, 03:30 PM

4,235 posts, read 3,682,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
It is a law firm. Law firms are notoriously cheap and the only people who count are the attorneys.
I was just going to say that I wasn't surprised this was a law firm. And in some firms they don't care about the attorneys, either. I've known firms to pay this salary to attorneys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
During the recession I knew of two recent law school graduates that passed the Bar and went to work as paralegals for $10/hour. That was all they could get then. It seems like law firms would be paying more now, 10 years later in a good economy.
I've been surprised to see that many salaries from law firms in the last twenty five years not only haven't gone up but in some cases have even gone down. I guess it shows how saturated the market is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
I suppose that if people think the salary is too low then the firm won’t get anybody for the job. and Then perhaps they will rethink their salary.
They'll get someone. I'm sure of it.

The salary does seem to have a pretty big range, though.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:31 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,342,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Just an FYI...

A lot of people would work that job for free to get the experience.

It's difficult to get hired without direct, relevant experience these days.

It's about building a career performing a service/task...

Not about turning a piece of paper into a salary.

It just boggles my mind how people don't teach this to their kids, and my parents didn't teach me either. I also grew up thinking Bachelors of Science in XYZ = $XX,XXX.

Just bad parenting... bad guidance counseling etc, but mostly bad parenting...
People here are putting too much stock into a job posting. This is not a trend. No one is going to work for free and no one is asking them to. There is nothing to be alarmed about here. As I said, anyone can post a job. You can go post a job and make whatever requirements you wish, no one is going to filter it out. I know of a job that has been posting a friend showed me, since Feb/2019 and they still can't fill it because it has requirements for the qualifications which pay at least three times what they are offering. That's why the job is still open. No one is being hurt by this. They will have to either lower their standards or close the job. This is not a trend.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:17 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,285,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
The starting salary range is 20-35K, and 20K is about $9.25/hour--

"The ideal candidate will have experience. A bachelor’s degree is REQUIRED."!?

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Esserlaw-...394aa493020c10

Esserlaw LLC is a widely respected consumer bankruptcy law firm, in Northwest Milwaukee. We are looking to add a Case Administrator to our team.

This position will have direct communication with clients, the courts and the trustee. The ideal candidate will have experience. A bachelor’s degree is REQUIRED.

Candidate will be preparing documents for filing with the court and trustee, preparing and amending financial disclosures, schedules, plans of reorganization as required to obtain trustee recommendations for confirmation. The ideal candidate will be able to respond to creditor and trustee motions and objections. Will be able to coordinate multiple calendars and manage deadlines for the attorneys in the office, the court, client and each case we are involved in.

The successful candidate must have a keen eye for detail, and be a team player, yet be comfortable working independently and accurately in order to complete work within designated time frames. Additionally, the ideal candidate will be comfortable working in a high volume law firm, handling multiple projects simultaneously, and is both dependable and reliable.

If you are interested in applying to our Case Administrator position, include your resume and a cover letter detailing the following:

Description of your legal professional experience
Salary desired
Best contact number to reach you at
Spanish bilingual preferred, but not required
Salary commensurate with experience. Military personnel welcome.

Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $20,000.00 to $35,000.00 /year

Experience:
Office: 1 year (Preferred)
Tax: 1 year (Preferred)
Accounting: 1 year (Preferred)
Education: Bachelor's (Required)
Language: Spanish (Preferred)

I got paid $33k @ my first entry-level job in 2004. Now granted that was 15 years ago, but still …

Also, job market needs to be taken into consideration. The posting is in Milwaukee. This job would pay more if it were in NYC or San Francisco.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:48 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,638,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
Not as cut and dry as that. If you are an executive, administrative or professional employee that is salaried, you are exempt from over time pay. However, your salary must be at least $455 a week to be eligible to be "salaried." This equates to $11.37 an hour based on a 40 hour week which is higher than the state's current minimum wage. Of course, when your employer takes advantage of you being "salaried" and works you to death, then of course you are making below minimum wage.
An employer cannot just declare someone to be "exempt" and then work them 60 hours a week. Anyone who finds themselves in that position can call their state Department of Labor or whatever. Of course, they won't have that job much longer, but why would they want to keep working for someone who's screwing them?

Old 06-13-2019, 01:50 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,638,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
People here are putting too much stock into a job posting. This is not a trend. No one is going to work for free and no one is asking them to. There is nothing to be alarmed about here. As I said, anyone can post a job. You can go post a job and make whatever requirements you wish, no one is going to filter it out. I know of a job that has been posting a friend showed me, since Feb/2019 and they still can't fill it because it has requirements for the qualifications which pay at least three times what they are offering. That's why the job is still open. No one is being hurt by this. They will have to either lower their standards or close the job. This is not a trend.
But... but... it offends me! I have to be able to force them to do things the way I approve of! I have to be able to protect someone else from possibly choosing to accept this job!

Old 06-14-2019, 02:01 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,689,087 times
https://247wallst.com/special-report...llege-grads-2/

There are many professions that sound like great jobs, requiring from an associate to masters degree. These are median wages at mid career. Starting wages are much lower. The ad under discussion, is typical for many degrees.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:13 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,445,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
That's what my husband said. He has a GED and is making more than that as a security guard.
One person who talked about her experiences working at In & Out Burger was a bit bummed how they paid better than a handful of public sector and government jobs!
I hear of places paying $25 an hour for project managers

Old 06-14-2019, 06:22 PM

5,885 posts, read 3,864,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
I saw a job posting that stated $0 per year. I'm sure it was just a typo, but I laughed and wondered if they actually received any responses to their ad.
I also recall an ad which stated the salary rate was between $14.00-$14.01 an hour.

I've always wondered why companies never bother to proofread this stuff. I mean, the last thing I would want potential applicants to think is that we're more incompetent than we actually are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment