Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 11:52 PM

29,508 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

I think 10 days vacation is usually standard in many companies?

Counting the weekends, that's pretty much a two week standard vacation.

Most places i've worked, the more years you work, you get more vacation days per year, so if you worked for five years, you'd have a month's worth of vacation days.

I've certainly used sick days in the past whenever I did not have enough PTO to cover, or some days I just didn't want to go into work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 04:06 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,802,296 times
Two weeks is not enough vacation, but it is what it is. Have you ever asked if you can take an extra week unpaid? It sounds like it would be worth it to you.

I get four weeks vacation, three personal days, and six sick days. I use every bit of it. I can work from home if I am too sick for the long commute(and don't want to infect everyone around me) but well enough to put in a full day, so that helps a lot. I do use sick days for my own doctor and dentist visits as well as taking my son to his. If you can do that, schedule a routine visit first thing in the mornring and have the rest of the day for yourself, and use that as a sick day.

There are a lot of martyrs on this thread. Your company will fire you at the drop of a hat once it suits them. Live your life.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:21 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Quote:
As for everybody giving OP grief for wanting to take a day off for her daughters birthday, get over yourselves. Why shouldn’t OP be able to do this if she wishes? Why do you judge?
Just pointing out what the OP already knows....
She's been there two years, so clearly knows how much time off she can have.
She's used a lot of her time....for whatever reasons.
She wants more days, but can't get them the honest way, under her employer's system
She can lie to get the time off she needs. People do, all the time. That doesn't make it right.
She can also do the things she'd like around her work schedule.

I said that I get her frustration. There are times in our lives when we have, or make of our own accord -- like a birthday or anniversary celebration -- other commitments and work gets in the way of what we'd rather do -- or need to do. ((Look at how many people are trying to care for elderly relatives, or have a sick family member.....you don't think they may need more time off also. Most of us have been in some kind of similar situation at one time or another.))

But it is what it is. Maybe her life is so full of activities and other things she should work part-time. There are plenty of people for whom that's the case.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:20 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Just pointing out what the OP already knows....
She's been there two years, so clearly knows how much time off she can have.
She's used a lot of her time....for whatever reasons.
She wants more days, but can't get them the honest way, under her employer's system
She can lie to get the time off she needs. People do, all the time. That doesn't make it right.
She can also do the things she'd like around her work schedule.

I said that I get her frustration. There are times in our lives when we have, or make of our own accord -- like a birthday or anniversary celebration -- other commitments and work gets in the way of what we'd rather do -- or need to do. ((Look at how many people are trying to care for elderly relatives, or have a sick family member.....you don't think they may need more time off also. Most of us have been in some kind of similar situation at one time or another.))

But it is what it is. Maybe her life is so full of activities and other things she should work part-time. There are plenty of people for whom that's the case.
Most people I know with these issues (and I know a lot of people who are single parents, are caring for elderly relatives, have spouses who travel a lot, etc.) accommodate these issues by finding work that is more flexible. The OP seems to have found a rigid job that doesn’t allow any flexibility with schedule and doesn’t have much vacation time. She refuses to look for a new job. That’s on her. Even if the new job still offers 10 days of vacation, it might still be more flexible in terms of allowing her to work extra some days to make up for time later.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:21 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
As for everybody giving OP grief for wanting to take a day off for her daughters birthday, get over yourselves. Why shouldn’t OP be able to do this if she wishes? Why do you judge?
You must be new around here, welcome to City Data (Yes, I know you aren't actually new, but asking why people judge, you may as well ask them why they post! lol!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Most people I know with these issues (and I know a lot of people who are single parents, are caring for elderly relatives, have spouses who travel a lot, etc.) accommodate these issues by finding work that is more flexible. The OP seems to have found a rigid job that doesn’t allow any flexibility with schedule and doesn’t have much vacation time. She refuses to look for a new job. That’s on her. Even if the new job still offers 10 days of vacation, it might still be more flexible in terms of allowing her to work extra some days to make up for time later.
yeah, I'm with you on this. I would not be able to work a job with only 2 weeks off and no flexibility. I am salaried and take PTO on days that I am completely out of the office, unless I'm working from home. But if I need to leave for part of the day, come in late, leave early, those are all considered full work days. No one cares about the hours my butt is in a chair, they care about the work getting done. I'm the only person in my role, so it's all on me to manage my workload, and no one else is being unduly burdened by having to do my work if I'm not there. Sometimes, yes, I get swamped and people do end up having to wait a little longer than is ideal, but if something is truly urgent, it gets prioritized.

I'm not saying I've had a work environment like this my entire career, but after 3 decades, I've earned it, and I'm not giving it up.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:48 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennev8 View Post
I really hope you are not my coworker whom I have to pick up the slack for your mental health days. This is precisely why employers start pulling back on the strings because of these types of abuses, and you actually are encouraging lying and how to get away with it. Unbelievable.
Not encouraging lying - it depends on how you define mental health. I get a lump sum that can be used for any kind of day off including holidays so I don’t have to lie. However if I was in this person’s shoes I might. I have never had a separate sick bucket.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:03 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Not encouraging lying - it depends on how you define mental health. I get a lump sum that can be used for any kind of day off including holidays so I don’t have to lie. However if I was in this person’s shoes I might. I have never had a separate sick bucket.
Taking time off for someone’s birthday or anniversary to go out or on vacation is not a “sick day” by any stretch of the imagination. I know people who take mental health days and I have no problem with that, but typically when people do that they are not going out and about and enjoying themselves...

Old 06-14-2019, 09:52 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
If the work/life balance is unsatisfactory, and the company is rigid & unwilling to negotiate to a compromise that ultimately benefits both the employer and the employee - I'd find a different job.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:47 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
"All my doctors are 40 minute drive from here on "my side of town" so cannot just take a lunch to do them either."

You're in DFW where there are plenty of doctors closer to your side of town. I can't imagine blowing off my health rather than just finding closer doctors.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:46 PM

203 posts, read 152,982 times
I will post an unpopular opinion. I say call in sick, meet your daughter and spend a day together, however not in the close proximity to your workplace. Don't tell anybody at work about your family or who is flying when or where. The less they know the better. If it is Friday you are taking as a sick day, then avoid talking about it on Monday. If asked how your weekend went just say "fine".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment