Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 07:06 PM

880 posts, read 1,799,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
I'm not sure why this thread is going back and forth. If you're salaried, the law is clear. You're not compensated for your leisure time on the weekends.
I'm paid hourly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Can't you bring a laptop and actually *do* some work over that weekend in the motel? That would probably have your employer perfectly willing to pay you, because, you know, you are actually working.
Technically yes but there isn't much to do on the laptop. You could claim you were working for 8 hours each day but it would be hard to believe you were actually putting in that time based on the tasks at hand. In example is the two or three options of work really shouldn't take much more than 2-3 hours in total and they know this.

This is what the people were claiming in the past, working 8 hours each day and I think thats why they changed the rule to 4 hours pay because they knew the 8 hours was fudging it.

Last edited by Hwy phantom; 06-17-2019 at 07:26 PM..

Old 06-17-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Do you actually have the time off for the weekend, or are you on-call during the weekend? If you are on-call for the weekend, you should get paid for that. Any time an employer is inconveniencing you or restricting your travel or activities they show be paying you.

If others have gotten away with it, then you should make a request for it as well to be paid for being required to stay there and the inconvenience. Just because they are paying for expenses that's not a gift, they are doing so because it is required in order for you to conduct business. They need to pay, it isn't a vacation. If you don't bring it up, it is the employer you will have allowed to gotten away with it.
I'm on-call. There was no set rule in the past. A couple years ago I was working on a large project that was about a 6-7 hour drive from home. When the weekend came I talked to my boss about claiming hours on the weekend and he said no because I would not be doing any actual work at the customers site. I ended up staying there for a full month and spent 4 weekends at the hotel unpaid for any of that time.

About a year later the topic came up with co-workers and they said they were claiming 8 each day and getting paid. They have a different manager but it's the same company. Just recently it was mentioned the official policy is 4 hours for each day.

Luckily this scenario is not that common and it's only happened a couple of times of the course of years but it has me wondering if it's really a fair deal or not?

Old 06-17-2019, 08:17 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times
Every state has their own rules regarding labor and when you are on or off the clock. This much I know: if you worked for me and I required you to be available at the hotel, you would be paid 16 hours for Saturday and Sunday. Unless there is a legal loophole involved here, you are being taken advantage of big time.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:35 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
Just to clarify, I don't exactly have to stay at the hotel all day. I'm free to go out and about. They just didn't want me driving home and back 6 hours each way.

I think if they want me to stay it should be 8 hours each day.
Don't want or are giving you the option not to?

Old 06-17-2019, 10:00 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
If he doesn't stay they should pay him six hours to drove home on Friday and six hours to drive back to the job site Monday morning, yielding two hours of work on Friday and Monday.

Can't have it both ways.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
wheelsup, are you a Union man? I ask cause you vehemently argue the point even though US labor laws do not support your argument.

Whether it right or wrong, ethical or not, the OP has been given correct answers and it's not yours.
An hourly employee not paid for travel time to and from the job site from home base? Are you sure that is ok per CA labor law? They are pretty liberal when it comes to this stuff.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:09 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I feel sorry for those of you who place such small value on your personal time.
This has little to do with the value of personal time. I don't know whether you just arrived to the U.S. or not, but we live in a country of laws. YOU aren't above the law. When the OP specifically states that he wants to know what the laws are, what you *think* doesn't matter. The law is written. Your (or mine, or anyone else's) value on personal time makes no different.

Why do you think that you are above the law?

Old 06-17-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
An hourly employee not paid for travel time to and from the job site from home base? Are you sure that is ok per CA labor law? They are pretty liberal when it comes to this stuff.
I'm paid to travel to and from the job site.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
This has little to do with the value of personal time. I don't know whether you just arrived to the U.S. or not, but we live in a country of laws. YOU aren't above the law. When the OP specifically states that he wants to know what the laws are, what you *think* doesn't matter. The law is written. Your (or mine, or anyone else's) value on personal time makes no different.

Why do you think that you are above the law?
Law states a min wage required to pay employees.

Does everyone make min wage, or do some people (most) make more?

I must be above the law because I don't make min wage, I make more.

Plus, you're in Texas not Cali so irreverent to the discussion....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment