Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 03:33 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
If you're keeping me away from my wife for a week straight I'd expect them to at least fly her out on the weekend for a conjugal visit.

Personally I'd be expecting 48hrs worth of compensation for such a weekend and would be looking for another job.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha - seriously? Maybe they'll just give you $50 or $100 for "entertainment"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 03:35 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If they can't get the OP home reliably on the weekend, they need to provide some form of additional compensation - comp time, extra pay, additional meal per diem, etc.
My company would likely do the comp time route - it's a bit more flexible/informal but then again that would be for salaried people who would otherwise not see any kind of money from working or at least being on-site for a weekend. That's probably be at the discretion of the supervisor.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:23 PM

6,455 posts, read 3,977,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
So your wife voluntarily gave up roughly 38% of her time during the seven day week just to eat free food?

Good deal for the employer.
Or, she got employer-funded vacations.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:33 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Maybe all this sounds exciting for the early 20-something who doesn't know what they are leaving behind, but fast forward a few years and they realize they spent their youth rotting in hotels!
Except I got to travel across 6 continents and a lot of countries I would otherwise not be able (or choose) to go to. I can see it getting old if you’re always on the road. For me it was only maybe once a month.

For many of those places not only did I eat at great restaurants (like near the Spanish Steps in Rome, or the best churrascaria in Rio) but got a chance to do some sightseeing if it spanned a weekend.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:19 AM

6,455 posts, read 3,977,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Except I got to travel across 6 continents and a lot of countries I would otherwise not be able (or choose) to go to. I can see it getting old if you’re always on the road. For me it was only maybe once a month.

For many of those places not only did I eat at great restaurants (like near the Spanish Steps in Rome, or the best churrascaria in Rio) but got a chance to do some sightseeing if it spanned a weekend.
Exactly. I could rot in a hotel, or I could rot at home in the same-old same-old place I'm stuck looking at every freaking day. I could travel to other places, or I could travel through the same exact traffic jams every day. I could spend my weekends seeing somewhere new, or I could spend them doing dishes and going to the grocery store and wishing I could see somewhere new. Other people must have way more exciting lives than I do if they can't stand to leave home; no matter what fun things I do/hobbies I have, it's still just the same stuff and same daily grind. It would be nice to change it up sometimes and see/do/learn/experience things I *don't* see/do/learn/experience every day of every week of every year of every decade.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:52 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Exactly. I could rot in a hotel, or I could rot at home in the same-old same-old place I'm stuck looking at every freaking day. I could travel to other places, or I could travel through the same exact traffic jams every day. I could spend my weekends seeing somewhere new, or I could spend them doing dishes and going to the grocery store and wishing I could see somewhere new. Other people must have way more exciting lives than I do if they can't stand to leave home; no matter what fun things I do/hobbies I have, it's still just the same stuff and same daily grind. It would be nice to change it up sometimes and see/do/learn/experience things I *don't* see/do/learn/experience every day of every week of every year of every decade.
It's subjective and I get that. To some people, travel is a "thing" that they do, like a planned vacation, and the majority of their life is focused around repeatable and predictable activities. Any disruption is of concern, and so traveling for work is a nuisance - to be compensated or at least minimized.

When I had my Rome trip I had an afternoon/evening free to do a walking tour from the Spanish Steps to the Coliseum. It was one of those online tour bookings and I was the only single person with a bunch of couples. As I was chatting with one lady she asked why I was alone and I said I was here for work. Her response was classic - "they sent you to Rome? They only send me to Atlanta!"

At the same time, I've also done trips like to Saskatchewan in February, or Mumbai during monsoon season. As with anything you make the most of it.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:23 AM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
This is where things were really unclear before because in discussion it was stated that they didn't want us to drive back and forth but it was really an official rule. So maybe we could technically against their wishes.
There is a rule that you can't drive home on your off time?
I'm wondering if it's just that they don't want to pay for both a hotel room over the weekend, and pay you drive time and mileage at the same time. Maybe it's just a case of either/or.
I recently finished a couple of stints with my company (I'm hourly) and they were somewhat flexible with the hotel situation, as long as they were given enough time to rearrange things ahead of time. Several of the people on my teams chose to drive home rather than stay in a hotel on their off days, but again this was worked out ahead of time. I know at least one guy who kept the hotel room and drove home, but the drive was on his dime, the company didn't pay him for that, as it was a decision he made on his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment