Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 05:12 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No, not really. PLUS, the truth is stress is just a chosen reaction. That means people are choosing to be stressed out. Crappy things will happen, but we get to chose how we react. It's possible to remain relatively calm in troubling circumstances.

A better course of action would be to learn some stress management techniques vs giving up salary. Check YouTube for some videos.

Just because you're calm doesn't mean you're not stressed out. People deal with stress differently. Some show it in the moment. Others you don't know about it until they finally quit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 05:50 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
Quote:
No, not really. PLUS, the truth is stress is just a chosen reaction. That means people are choosing to be stressed out. Crappy things will happen, but we get to chose how we react. It's possible to remain relatively calm in troubling circumstances.

A better course of action would be to learn some stress management techniques vs giving up salary. Check YouTube for some videos.
Stress is a chosen reaction, to a certain extent.

Telling someone to stay at a poor job, or in a toxic environment simply because they should be able to "get over it" is somewhat ignorant. I question if you've ever been in a truly poor environment if the advise you are giving from this thread is to watch some youtube videos on stress management.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:18 PM

6,801 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Stress can be caused by anxieties in which case there are techniques to deal with it effectively...but it can also be caused by working intense 16 hour days for months, years with little interruption in which case it's simply a result of being overworked. Some jobs ask you to burn the candle at both ends, and I'm sure most people working those jobs eventually think about getting a job asking less of a commitment from them (the exception being people working a job that is 100% their passion and something they love doing more than just about anything else i.e. a very small % of the workforce).

Old 06-20-2019, 06:09 AM

56 posts, read 66,983 times
Hi there,

Im 27 years old and just 6 months ago I resigned and left a very well paying job for someone my age and with my level of experience. In addition to the great pay the job covered food (just 1 meal a day) which was lunch but a great saving, covered transport to and from work and to top it all off I had a great dental and medical aid plan.

Long story short I was depressed and wanted to die every day. Horrible work environment, constant drama and work bullying.... so yeah I left chose my piece of mind over money. Now I get paid 5 times less but im really really at ease and don't regret it at all

Old 06-20-2019, 07:30 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Stress is a chosen reaction, to a certain extent.

Telling someone to stay at a poor job, or in a toxic environment simply because they should be able to "get over it" is somewhat ignorant. I question if you've ever been in a truly poor environment if the advise you are giving from this thread is to watch some youtube videos on stress management.
I didn't say any of that. But learning stress management techniques would be helpful NOW while the OP decides what to do. Is that not true?

What I was bring up is this knee jerk reaction to always assuming that less stress can only be found with lower pay. Hey, if folks want to leave money on the table, that's fine. There will be someone ready to pick it up.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:59 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
Quote:
I didn't say any of that. But learning stress management techniques would be helpful NOW while the OP decides what to do. Is that not true?

What I was bring up is this knee jerk reaction to always assuming that less stress can only be found with lower pay. Hey, if folks want to leave money on the table, that's fine. There will be someone ready to pick it up.
I understand the point you're attempting to make. You are not listening to the question being asked.

No one was asking if someone found a way to lower stress with the same job (or with a different job with the same pay). Obviously that's preferable. Everyone knows that. The question posed was whether anyone has stepped down from a 'good' job (ie, higher paying). Stay on topic. You seem to have an immediate reaction to dismiss/not listen to a question or problem and alter the scenarios people are in before responding, which is a somewhat naive reaction to many real world scenarios.

Last edited by Lekrii; 06-20-2019 at 09:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment