Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 12:55 PM

73 posts, read 52,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post
Oh gee, I've encountered plenty of that at every office job I've had. Do gossip-free offices even exist?

Just focus on doing an excellent job and try to ignore the junior high level behavior.
It's really hard to ignore. It makes me feel like **** every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
Trash company?

The rest was all small potatoes, welcome to working for a living stuff. Gossip? Didn't get the plumb training trip? The other kids won't eat lunch with me? No job will be perfect. The bolded is a pretty darn good start for a first job ever out of college, and after only 6 months. I have condiments in my fridge older than that.
The gossip and feeling like an outsider take a toll on me. I literally sit in my cube and eat lunch, and I always feel like people talk about me because they talk about each other. I don't really fit in.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Except that it wouldn't surprise me if OP has the same complaints in a new job. I think the OP has some unrealistic expectations about work.

OP stick it out at least for a while, I would not have a gap on my resume at this point.

I also think you may have missed an opportunity with the mass email. Since you're still new, it might have been a good idea to do something extra which may not be technically in your job description. You never want to recommend a course of action that makes more work for your boss, that is not a way to get promoted. It's also way too soon to be worrying about being promoted.

As others have said, companies go through phases and benefits change. If you think things will be different at another company you are mistaken.

Finally, there will always be office gossip and politics. Be cordial and polite to everyone and stay out of it.
I can stay out of it but it take a toll on me being an outsider, and also probably being talked about because they talk about each other.

You know how many conversations I hear that start out normal, and they start talking very quietly?

Old 06-21-2019, 09:39 PM

1,299 posts, read 823,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeFlounder View Post
The gossip and feeling like an outsider take a toll on me. I literally sit in my cube and eat lunch, and I always feel like people talk about me because they talk about each other. I don't really fit in.
The unsympathetic, logical answer to this is "So?" You're there to work, so do your work. The good parts of your job that you listed are what a lot of people can only dream about. Money, autonomy, some learning opportunities (even if not enough for your expectations) - those are golden in a job.

I do understand your frustrations. To a point. But your issues are strictly social. If you expect every job to come with built in besties like you're in junior high, you will be often disappointed in the adult work world. Is it nice to have someone to have lunch with? Sure, I guess. But not having that doesn't mean you have to sit at your desk listening in on other people's conversations. (Headphones are your friends, btw). Go for a walk, go buy your own lunch, run errands, lots of options instead of sitting there moping.

Plus, if the other people around you are mean girl gossips, do you really want to be part of their clique?

Old 06-23-2019, 02:49 AM

283 posts, read 198,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Also discouraged. 3 years looking. Almost 40.

So yeah I got that going for me … age discrimination I suspect.
40 is old?

Old 06-23-2019, 11:33 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
You need to ignore the gossiping and do your job. Be grateful you even have a job.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:28 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,877,686 times
Yeah...I have to agree with much of the advice given here.

Work is called "work" and not "play" for a reason.

Work hard, do what you're asked, or do MORE than you're asked, and do it well, by any measure. If you do these things, you will succeed. If you don't get a raise or a promotion, you will
have at least learned to work diligently and you can be proud of yourself, even if no one else is.

(Hint: If you find yourself out of work before the 40 hours is up - then go ask your boss for another account. Or three. Ask to sweep the floors. Whatever it takes. Do everything you can to help your boss succeed - whatever success means to him. Do not sit on your hands, this is a surefire way
to NOT get promoted, NOT make connections, and NOT get invited to lunch.)

Whatever is said in the interview or offer process is to be broadly interpreted, because the folks doing the interviews aren't always the folks signing the checks. They're leery of making their boss/company sound unappealing to anyone, ever, so a "Great Job" is promised and a "Normal Job" is given. This is unfortunate, but quite common.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:35 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Hold on.

You're just not part of the clique at work?

You have no friends outside of work?

Hold on to this job. If you quit, you won't have enough experience to get an entry level job. Then you're flipping hamburgers and longing to be at this job you are complaining about.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:05 PM

84 posts, read 175,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by May1989 View Post
40 is old?
It's a lot easier to complain than to look in the mirror. Three years looking for a job in this climate, where unemployment is virtually nonexistent? You'd have to be basically trying NOT to find a job over that long of a time frame.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:16 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeFlounder View Post
I can stay out of it but it take a toll on me being an outsider, and also probably being talked about because they talk about each other.

You know how many conversations I hear that start out normal, and they start talking very quietly?
They may not even be talking about your. They could be talking about a health problem or something else they want to keep private, or maybe they're talking about someone else in the office.

You're reading things into their conversation that may not be there. I can tell you that things like that happen in every office so changing jobs probably won't help.

Have you always had trouble fitting in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment