Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 01:40 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times

Advertisements

I'm a pretty healthy person, so I don't take too many personal days in a year. But THIS year, my dog was sick a lot and had lots of vet appointments, and those personal days sure came in handy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 01:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Lack of work ethic and an over assessment of self worth causes slow down in hiring and promotion
Always has always will
First step towards the exit door is excessive use of leave

Old 06-20-2019, 02:00 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
i feel it's the opposite. We seem to have a culture where people feel they can't call in sick...like they're some weak feeble being if they do. I notice that new sick day is I'm working from home day...but they are still working.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:02 PM

345 posts, read 252,392 times
The reason people take sick days at my company? Because of the people who come in sick and spread it around, and there are many who do that.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:37 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My husband works at a home improvement store. It has a very generous sick/personal/vacation policy, even for part time people.

He has learned that some people just have a poor work ethic and some don’t. He works with a guy who is 60 ish and as soon as he accumulates a sick day, he’s off “sick”. This guy used to have his own welding business but thought paying his taxes was optional, and he got busted. Now, he will have to work until he drops. The bosses definitely have his number. He regularly gets passed over for raises and promotions, and he seems incredulous as to why.
Latest news is this same guy’s brother just died. He’s not going to the funeral, but he’s still taking the funeral leave.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:37 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
I’ve observed and thought of a few:
  1. Many employees are damn lazy, tricky and know how to kiss some managers’ *sses, and some managers favor them and let them be off “sick”
  2. Many employees know how to take advantage of the FMLA
  3. In addition to #1, the management makes the hard-working employees to do extra work when those lazy ones go on “sick” leave. And eventually those hard-working employees become really sick and take off too.
Everybody is sick sometime and deserves to have some time off to heal and comes back to work and does his/her work well and productively. When we come to work, be honest to work hard enough for what we get pay for. But if someone is tricky and the management lets those to get away with it, good employees will be sick and tired of working hard, and they don’t want to engage and commit anymore. That’s a BIG loss for the companies/employers.

CD members, employees, managers and employers, do you have anything else to add? And do you have any solutions to solve the problems with those who like to play “sick” card?
Where are your metrics that supports your claim that 'so many employees call in "sick" so much'? If claim there is a problem that needs a solution, demonstrate there is actually a problem.

I've been in the work force for years at different companies and don't remember any discussions showing a concern for the number of sick days employees were taking, nor did I ever see it being a problem. So if you want to be taken seriously here, you need to show real metrics that has this break-down by industry, cause I've not seen a problem. I just see it being discussed on C-D.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:17 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times
Let's see...not sure if this is legal anymore, but one company I worked at had this in place.

You get 5 days of sick time.
1st day - no comments
2nd day - verbal warning, not recorded
3rd day - verbal warning, recorded
4th day - written warning, recorded
5th day - don't bother coming in because you've been fired

I know at my last job, I got written up twice. Two incidences where I was repeatedly using all my sick time. 1st time was migraines - took me a year to figure out what was triggering them and another year to figure out what worked to lessen them. 2nd time was being a new Aunt to two viral kids. After a year of tracking things, I figured out that I would get deathly ill 2-3 weeks after seeing my nephews; which I was told was normal incubution time. It took time for me to figure it out, but not like my bosses were sympathetic or anything.

Lastly, I also used to call in sick because I hated my job, hated my bosses, hated going to work so I'd call in sick because I didn't care about them whatsoever. Can't really fix that.

I feel like manager should try to work with an employee FIRST versus immediately assuming they're taking advantage of it and it's a problem. I didn't realize I was so sick or had migraines so often. I never tracked it. And instead of talking to me about it first, I was written up. Made me hate my job even more, which made me call in sick more; I just didn't give a flying F anymore.

Whereas, my current job, we are encouraged to take our sick time and not share our cooties. I like my job and the people I workth with and feel horrible when I call in sick. In the 6 years I've been here, I think the most sick time I've taken was 3 days when I came down with the flu. We also get to work from home if we "feel fine" but are contagious.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:31 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesfive View Post
The reason people take sick days at my company? Because of the people who come in sick and spread it around, and there are many who do that.
Some have a 'special' poor immune system.

I'm poor and immuned to staying home when bills need paid.

Our business tolerates fake sick call in. It's either pay day or the day after most call in. We do have a few that call.in after binge drinking. And these are mngrs.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:29 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Let's see...not sure if this is legal anymore, but one company I worked at had this in place.

You get 5 days of sick time.
1st day - no comments
2nd day - verbal warning, not recorded
3rd day - verbal warning, recorded
4th day - written warning, recorded
5th day - don't bother coming in because you've been fired

I know at my last job, I got written up twice. Two incidences where I was repeatedly using all my sick time. 1st time was migraines - took me a year to figure out what was triggering them and another year to figure out what worked to lessen them. 2nd time was being a new Aunt to two viral kids. After a year of tracking things, I figured out that I would get deathly ill 2-3 weeks after seeing my nephews; which I was told was normal incubution time. It took time for me to figure it out, but not like my bosses were sympathetic or anything.

Lastly, I also used to call in sick because I hated my job, hated my bosses, hated going to work so I'd call in sick because I didn't care about them whatsoever. Can't really fix that.

I feel like manager should try to work with an employee FIRST versus immediately assuming they're taking advantage of it and it's a problem. I didn't realize I was so sick or had migraines so often. I never tracked it. And instead of talking to me about it first, I was written up. Made me hate my job even more, which made me call in sick more; I just didn't give a flying F anymore.

Whereas, my current job, we are encouraged to take our sick time and not share our cooties. I like my job and the people I workth with and feel horrible when I call in sick. In the 6 years I've been here, I think the most sick time I've taken was 3 days when I came down with the flu. We also get to work from home if we "feel fine" but are contagious.
Geez! I haven't worked at places that strict, but a call center job I've worked had similar:

Occurrences 1, 2, 3 in any rolling 90 day period were givens.

Day 4: Verbal, with the expectation set that no further days be missed for 90 days, else the next will be...
Day 5: Written, with the expectation set that no further days be missed for 120 days, else the next will be...
Day 6: Final, with the expectation set that no further days be missed for 180 days, else the next will be...
Day 7: Termination

They did not have separate "sick days" but everyone had 10 days "PTO" each year. The catch was, you had to give 48 hours notice prior to using PTO, so "same-day announcements" of illnesses would always rack up a point or two. Keep your nose clean for 90 days, they fall off.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:13 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
There's only 5 sick days a year for the average job.

Stop making this into a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment