Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 02:35 AM

283 posts, read 198,576 times

Advertisements

One place I worked at was so hostile that my health suffered. I had rashes all over my body. It was confirmed that I had chicken pox. When it was clear for me to go back to work, I had rashes again. My hands also were shaking while at work. I knew I had to leave even without another job lined up.

It took me 12 months to find another job and it was covering for maternity leave. Because I was working I was offered 3 jobs just before my contract expired.

The moral of the story is: Employers do discriminate against the unemployed.

Last edited by May1989; 06-23-2019 at 02:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 08:01 AM

185 posts, read 134,120 times
A few years ago I left a job due to the bad environment that had taken a toll on me. I was in the final stage of the interview process for one job when I gave notice. I had savings and a plan to get temporary work if I did not get that job. It took me a year and half to find another job in my field. I worked in retail for a short time and signed up with staffing agencies. I also applied for temp work in the private and public sector. Nothing panned out and I depleted my savings before I received an offer for the job I am in now.

If a person stays unemployed too long, they may have to take anything they can get which can unfortunately lead to them ending up in another bad environment. That is something else to consider.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:32 AM

3,068 posts, read 2,397,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
I can't deal with my job anymore and will resign in the next several weeks. It's a long story but this isn't a great place and I'd rather leave on good terms rather than storming out like many others have.

I have ample savings to survive 3 months before biting into my deeper savings. (Yes I watch the Dave Ramsey show.) But my current job search has failed and I'm trying every day yet I can't seem to land any permanent work.

What are some practical ideas what to do. I'm thinking about applying for temporary work as a kind of interim. Part time work wouldn't be great but it could be an option. What do you do in this situation?
I did that once. I found temp work a few weeks later, and a permanent job with a much better competitor three or four months later. In fact, I've been laid off several times in my life, and yet never ended up destitute, as people always suggest when they say how hard it is to find a job if you don't have one. That's true if you've been unemployed for months, but not if you're doing *some* kind of work. Once I got into a field where there was more demand, I never had any trouble finding another job.

How quickly you'll find another job depends on your field and where you live. As we're at record unemployment, it's a good time to look for something else.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:37 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,384,679 times
Quote:

What do you do in this situation?
I am sure you have considered where you live. A friend of mine did this--she could no longer handle the stress of the job. She had planned for leaving without a job lined up. She had enough money for 3-4 months without touching her savings. She lives in a big city, with another one an hour away.

Just be sure there are opportunities available to you. It took my friend about four months. She is quite happy in her new job.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:00 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,542 times
Don't quit unless you have a stronger opportunity lined up. Employees do discriminate against the unemployed.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:04 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,282,644 times
Quote:
That was my firm belief until reality kicked in. It's not fair to do something which makes you feel degraded. Leaving on good terms at this stage is superior to walking out, being fired, or leaving within the first several months, which everyone else has apart from one other guy who has been here a million years and seems to have a reduced level of intelligence. So the decision is clear to me.

Clear but wrong. Get another job first, even if its washing cars or flipping burgers. You won't know the meaning of "degraded" until your money has run out and you still can't find work because you aren't working.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:40 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,255,892 times
Quote:
That was my firm belief until reality kicked in. It's not fair to do something which makes you feel degraded. Leaving on good terms at this stage is superior to walking out, being fired, or leaving within the first several months, which everyone else has apart from one other guy who has been here a million years and seems to have a reduced level of intelligence. So the decision is clear to me.
Life isn’t fair. Ever. Neither is employment. Ever. That is reality.
Deal with your current situation in a professional manner until something better comes along. You’re an adult for crying out loud. Go to work every day with the thought that this is a temporary job, that you are not stuck there for life.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:01 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
I did once, though I did have a lot of stuff in the pipeline. Normally I’d never recommend it, but the job was literally making me nauseous before I went in, and I figured my finances were toast anyway. My current offer came in around a week after I gave notice, but I did have some relief just moving on and facing the unknown. The unknown was a lot better than what I had.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:07 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Don't listen to all these hyper cautious corporate goody two shoes on this site. If you know the job isn't working, then yeah, quit. I respect that a lot more than people constantly not wanting to shake their lives up and do something they know is right.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:20 PM

22,461 posts, read 11,986,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I did that once. I found temp work a few weeks later, and a permanent job with a much better competitor three or four months later. In fact, I've been laid off several times in my life, and yet never ended up destitute, as people always suggest when they say how hard it is to find a job if you don't have one. That's true if you've been unemployed for months, but not if you're doing *some* kind of work. Once I got into a field where there was more demand, I never had any trouble finding another job.

How quickly you'll find another job depends on your field and where you live. As we're at record unemployment, it's a good time to look for something else.
I, too, did the same thing.

I had a job that was really bad. The last straw was when it was time for my review. Over time, whatever feedback they gave me, I took it to heart. When I saw the draft of my review, I was literally in tears. After years of great reviews everywhere I worked, I knew that I couldn't let this review go on record. That day I gave my 2 weeks notice, even though I didn't have a job lined up.

I ended up doing temp work for less money. However, the first place they sent me had great people there and the assignment lasted several months. After it ended, I did a couple of very short term assignments, then told the temp company that I was going to take some time off and would let them know when I was ready to come back. The truth was that I wanted time to fully devote to my search for a full-time permanent job. Well...within my first week of searching, I got a good job offer. I ended up working for the best boss I ever had.

Funny how things work out. Had I stayed in the job from h*ll (I had intended to do so until we were ready to start a family), I never would have known the pleasure of having an awesome boss. So...in a way that threat of a bad review did me a big favor. Looking back, I still have no regrets as to how things worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment