Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 03:08 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
For the EGO issue, is I think...
I'd say you have that almost completely wrong.
And THAT is an ego issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 04:54 PM

971 posts, read 688,204 times
Wow, i need to relocate to silicone valley! Wholy crap 220k for an engineer? I work just outside DC and have specialty credentials tech companies die for. I work for one of the biggest tech companies in the US and i am barely over 100k with 35 years of experience.

I have designed and overseen projects over 20m all across the US for some well known sites, and these people back here consider me to be over paid. I spent a year on the Sprint complex in Reston VA and they were pissed when i didn't want to drive two hours a day and charged per diem to stay in hotel.

Not to say there aren't jobs over 200k for an engineer here, but i don't know where they are. Best of luck.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:32 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
Wow, i need to relocate to silicone valley! Wholy crap 220k for an engineer? I work just outside DC and have specialty credentials tech companies die for. I work for one of the biggest tech companies in the US and i am barely over 100k with 35 years of experience.

I have designed and overseen projects over 20m all across the US for some well known sites, and these people back here consider me to be over paid. I spent a year on the Sprint complex in Reston VA and they were pissed when i didn't want to drive two hours a day and charged per diem to stay in hotel.

Not to say there aren't jobs over 200k for an engineer here, but i don't know where they are. Best of luck.
Nice to see you again. Glad to hear you're still with it.

My base is nothing that senior engineers bat an eye at, but the fact is that I'm hourly and regularly get overtime. No open slots available for promotion? Fine. I'll work 50 hours and give myself a nice raise.

My guess is that some contractors, if hourly, can make a killing if the work is there for them to rack up the hours.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:35 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Tell me more about that. Did you hear any specific stories? Why is this anyway?

For the EGO issue, is I think in places that are not world class tech centers, people have a bigger EGO that is not based on solid ground. When they see a silicon valley guy, they immediately have the impulse to "stick it to the man", and show that "we in X town are smarter than those XYZ in Silicon Valley". It is like when the hillbilly sits on the front porch all day, and once he sees a car in the distance he starts shooting immediately.
You are applying in Florida. You clearly do not understand the area at all. It has nothing to do about ego. Florida jobs pay poorly ($130K is likely unrealistic) and they don’t tend to offer jobs to any out of state candidates. They have so many people moving in all the time that they can pay lower salaries and people will take them. Why would they need to pay someone from a SV job an inflated salary? They probably also figure that people from Silicon Valley have enough money from stock options and other benefits that they could easily move and have enough money to find something after they move. I know when I lived in Florida, I met a person from Google’s Mountain View office who had done just that- he’d quit and moved to Florida to see if that was where he wanted to stay. He did not have a job lined up yet.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:37 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,773,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post

Money flows from the water tap, but only for about 20% of the people. It is a lot of luck. A big part of our compensations is in stocks and bonuses. Some people join a to be successful company pre-IPO and make few million dollars in few years. You can sometimes ride the real estate bubble by living in your own house, that doubles your savings when moving out. But it is crashing down soon, so I want to get out. Also the quality of life here is low compared to most of the country, that I don't want to waste my life away. Money is as good as toilet paper, if you cannot buy a nice, safe and comfortable life from it. You can buy a Mercedes, but it is not the same thing.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:17 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
You are applying in Florida. You clearly do not understand the area at all. It has nothing to do about ego. Florida jobs pay poorly ($130K is likely unrealistic) and they don’t tend to offer jobs to any out of state candidates. They have so many people moving in all the time that they can pay lower salaries and people will take them. Why would they need to pay someone from a SV job an inflated salary? They probably also figure that people from Silicon Valley have enough money from stock options and other benefits that they could easily move and have enough money to find something after they move. I know when I lived in Florida, I met a person from Google’s Mountain View office who had done just that- he’d quit and moved to Florida to see if that was where he wanted to stay. He did not have a job lined up yet.
This. Exactly this.

I throw resumes away by the dozens from people from out of state that want jobs.

If you want to move to Florida, you'll have to do it on your own dime and be prepared for a large pay cut.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:25 PM

390 posts, read 306,593 times
Try Atlanta. We moved here from the Silicon Valley. It's a tech hub here and salaries are comparable to the Bay Area.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:21 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I know you say you don't want to move to Boston-area, but employment for tech-folks is pretty damn good here right now. $130K+ would be easy to achieve.

Yeah the snow sucks, but most of the people who complain about the HCOL also feel the need to locate themselves in Brookline or other trendy, hip area and pay $3500+/month for rent.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:39 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,773,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
This. Exactly this.

I throw resumes away by the dozens from people from out of state that want jobs.

If you want to move to Florida, you'll have to do it on your own dime and be prepared for a large pay cut.
You say that, but really you are implying that people have to move to a new state into unemployment. Who asked you to pay for my relocation? Or anyone's relocation? People apply for jobs first, to avoid a 6-24 months of loss of income and gaps on their resumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I know you say you don't want to move to Boston-area, but employment for tech-folks is pretty damn good here right now. $130K+ would be easy to achieve.
There is plenty of employment in the SF Bay area too. But wait, I want to move out of it. Believe it or not, one reason is the constant cold. Summer evenings I have to wear a sweater. Yesterday 7PM it was 69F that is common. That is cold. The Bay Area is a cold place, regardless of the 90F peak in early afternoon.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:47 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
You say that, but really you are implying that people have to move to a new state into unemployment. Who asked you to pay for my relocation? Or anyone's relocation? People apply for jobs first, to avoid a 6-24 months of loss of income and gaps on their resumes.

There is plenty of employment in the SF Bay area too. But wait, I want to move out of it. Believe it or not, one reason is the constant cold. Summer evenings I have to wear a sweater. Yesterday 7PM it was 69F that is common. That is cold. The Bay Area is a cold place, regardless of the 90F peak in early afternoon.
YES, that is what he is saying. Florida has so many people moving in all the time. Why would they go for an out-of-state candidate when they likely have a glut of qualified in-state candidates from which to choose? I have a friend who lives in Miami and is in a different field and she says that it is hard for her to get anything actually in Miami proper because it is so competitive for those jobs just with the local commuting area. People often come to Florida and are like “Oh it is too hot and humid here. I am ready to leave!” Why waste resources and training on that person when you have 50 candidates who are already in Florida and you know they will stay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment