Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 12:13 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,776,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Why would they go for an out-of-state candidate when they likely have a glut of qualified in-state candidates from which to choose?
Maybe in your line of business it is the case. Not in mine, unless they lower the bar so much that they sabotage their own business. For people working in supermarkets and similar places, it is hard to imagine that people exist with careers in world class R&D. Some companies compete with their products in the local city market (like a bakery or a real estate agency), while others compete with companies nationally or globally (telecom equipment manufacturers or defense contractors).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 12:19 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Maybe in your line of business it is the case. Not in mine, unless they lower the bar so much that they sabotage their own business. For people working in supermarkets and similar places, it is hard to imagine that people exist with careers in world class R&D. Some companies compete with their products in the local city market (like a bakery or a real estate agency), while others compete with companies nationally or globally (telecom equipment manufacturers or defense contractors).
This is why we are moving toward everything being "white-box" and companies just writing the software they want for it. The same piece of hardware could be a VoIP switch, a firewall, a load balancer, or all three at the same time.

The hardware won't be the Lucent, Nortel, or Western Electric products of yore.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:57 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Maybe in your line of business it is the case. Not in mine...
Nope. Still not buying. Certainly not in the sort of absolutist context you use.

What actual offers have the recruiters and headhunters come to you with
in order to benefit from the apparent and clearly understood magnificence you can bring?

Old 06-27-2019, 01:22 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,395,888 times
You come across as incredibly condescending. Maybe they're picking up on that.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:33 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,776,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
You come across as incredibly condescending. Maybe they're picking up on that.
What is condescending is to tell established people who put in huge efforts for many years to learn a world class skill set that "you are just like anyone else". Trampling on other peoples efforts and careers is condescending. Basically you don't believe in meritocracy, and that in itself is condescending.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:15 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
So tell them they're running their business poorly and should do what you say.
My comment is about what they're actually doing whether it works for them or not.
It doesn't, But somehow they are able to use creative accounting to cover up the numbers or make it look like they "saved" when basically they have forsaken growth

Unfortunately many businesses I've advised as a consultant refused to listen to me and now they are R.I.P.

As my mother says, you can take a horse to water but can't make them drink

This is why I will be giving up consulting for now and focusing on investments.

Quote:
Tell me more about that. Did you hear any specific stories? Why is this anyway?
Yes, I have a couple of colleagues with family in Florida including myself. So a lot of specific examples. We are not sure of the reason. Something to do with not wanting to pay adequately for top talent. Local talent that came from a local FL University and worked at small time companies will ask for lower pay (even when accounting for adjusting for COLA vs out of state candidate's salaries) . They basically don't want to pay the high end of what they're advertising but want someone at a more senior level. The usual BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLessTraveled2015 View Post
Try Atlanta. We moved here from the Silicon Valley. It's a tech hub here and salaries are comparable to the Bay Area.
Charlotte also

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
YES, that is what he is saying. Florida has so many people moving in all the time. Why would they go for an out-of-state candidate when they likely have a glut of qualified in-state candidates from which to choose? I have a friend who lives in Miami and is in a different field and she says that it is hard for her to get anything actually in Miami proper because it is so competitive for those jobs just with the local commuting area. People often come to Florida and are like “Oh it is too hot and humid here. I am ready to leave!” Why waste resources and training on that person when you have 50 candidates who are already in Florida and you know they will stay?
Nobody is leaving Florida because of the weather.

Quote:
What is condescending is to tell established people who put in huge efforts for many years to learn a world class skill set that "you are just like anyone else". Trampling on other peoples efforts and careers is condescending. Basically you don't believe in meritocracy, and that in itself is condescending.
BINGO

Old 06-27-2019, 04:48 PM

971 posts, read 688,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Nice to see you again. Glad to hear you're still with it.

My base is nothing that senior engineers bat an eye at, but the fact is that I'm hourly and regularly get overtime. No open slots available for promotion? Fine. I'll work 50 hours and give myself a nice raise.

My guess is that some contractors, if hourly, can make a killing if the work is there for them to rack up the hours.
I have known contractors that are willing to work make 200k plus in a good year. I had a guy doing throws with me one summer throwing out a 600 for miles and he made 275k.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:02 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
I have known contractors that are willing to work make 200k plus in a good year. I had a guy doing throws with me one summer throwing out a 600 for miles and he made 275k.
GOOD. NESS.

710 press, 25 at-a-time that's good, honest work. Except when you're working a cut and it bites you!

I remember one job I got was a pole transfer of a 600 at a hard 90 corner off about a class 6 pole LOL

300' easy in either direction. Maxed out my chain hoists, they could only hold, not take it in much at all. Cut the strand, spliced enough in for it to reach the new pole. Worked it to 15' over the main road, was scary low over the grass.

I broke out my line construction book and their spec for rural pole-to-pole was 9' if not crossing a road. I was golden.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:24 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
Wow, i need to relocate to silicone valley! Wholy crap 220k for an engineer? I work just outside DC and have specialty credentials tech companies die for. I work for one of the biggest tech companies in the US and i am barely over 100k with 35 years of experience.

I have designed and overseen projects over 20m all across the US for some well known sites, and these people back here consider me to be over paid. I spent a year on the Sprint complex in Reston VA and they were pissed when i didn't want to drive two hours a day and charged per diem to stay in hotel.

Not to say there aren't jobs over 200k for an engineer here, but i don't know where they are. Best of luck.
Try Amazon Web Services. They pay very well. Lots of jobs in DC/NOVA area.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:51 PM

724 posts, read 530,125 times
Quote:
Actually I'm looking for some warmer climate. Boston area is really cold and expensive almost like SV.
I am interested in a much lower salary, and much lower cost of living. From the current $220k down to $130k as an expert in my field should be doable. Everyone moving out of SV knows that.
I heard a story recently, some phd researcher from an older big tech company in SV went to interview in Virginia, but they were just playing with him, asked him nonsense questions that no one could answer about things that are irrelevant in their industry. The interviewers were acting on some kind of emotional reaction.
This “story” is bull****. Your premise is false.

The issue is that CA transplants expect CA pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment