Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 12:33 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,659,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
yeah... but what is it? I can only guess.

Some people say I have to not take credit for anything I have done, rather only mention what our team has accomplished. But I am not going to do that, because I work best in asymmetrical teams as lead, otherwise I would have to cut back on my performance like 80% that is a waste for both me and my employer.
Another thing my resume does not have is an ivy league diploma and less than few years experience. At one big corporation, my friend tole me they might hire me for a low $100k salary, but they rather hire ivy league fresh grads for $160k starting salary and hope to train them to have half my expertise after years of employment. Nothing I can do about that.

I get contacted by recruiters often, mostly startups or few big companies, but ALL from the silicon valley. Some of the bigger companies contacted me several times, while some other big companies never contacted me. There is some difference between hiring strategy between companies. But I'm afraid some geographical regions might have customs that all locals follow.
You are aware that most of the top schools for computer science/engineering are NOT in the Ivy League, right? Stanford, MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Berkeley, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Michigan, Purdue, UT... not Ivy League. Why on earth would these companies focus on the Ivy League when they can get quality graduates from elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 01:03 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,771,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
You are aware that most of the top schools for computer science/engineering are NOT in the Ivy League, right? Stanford, MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Berkeley, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Michigan, Purdue, UT... not Ivy League. Why on earth would these companies focus on the Ivy League when they can get quality graduates from elsewhere?
Elitism. They specifically said "ivy league".

Old 07-01-2019, 01:14 PM

724 posts, read 528,880 times
Quote:
Elitism. They specifically said "ivy league".
The denial is strong with this one.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
The denial is strong with this one.
The cynicism is strong with this one.
The insider guy specifically said ivy league candidates are preferred. He was there in a leading position for 20 years, in another department.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:35 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,549,150 times
You need to start to build a network with a presence in the cities that interest you. Attend professional conferences in the SE, for example. Bend an elbow (coffee, beer, whatever) and let others know you are interested in a move.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:49 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,785,038 times
Quote:
Actually I'm looking for some warmer climate. Boston area is really cold and expensive almost like SV.
I am interested in a much lower salary, and much lower cost of living. From the current $220k down to $130k as an expert in my field should be doable. Everyone moving out of SV knows that.
I heard a story recently, some phd researcher from an older big tech company in SV went to interview in Virginia, but they were just playing with him, asked him nonsense questions that no one could answer about things that are irrelevant in their industry. The interviewers were acting on some kind of emotional reaction.
I did not read past this 3rd reply post.

I am in Boston. Orgs here are exploding with VC money and looking for good talent. Problem is that it is a hard place to live and hard to commute into. But hey, I'm not complaining. I would guess that there aren't many places that need the type of talent you deliver so why have someone like you - they either can't afford you or know you won't stay because you'll be bored. I would not hire a Data Scientist to administer an MS Access data base, know what I mean.

Best of luck

Old 07-01-2019, 02:50 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,564,816 times
Quote:
The cynicism is strong with this one.
The insider guy specifically said ivy league candidates are preferred. He was there in a leading position for 20 years, in another department.
i can see ivy league graduates for project management/program director type roles; but, does dartmouth college even offer a bachelors in electrical engineering degree ?

Old 07-01-2019, 03:01 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,659,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i can see ivy league graduates for project manager/program director type roles; but, does dartmouth college even have a college of engineering ?
I think they all have engineering schools and all are decent, but there are more Big Ten schools in the top rankings than the Ivy League schools. Dartmouth isn’t exactly a powerhouse that anyone with sense would take over someone from University of Illinois, Michigan, or Purdue.

Old 07-02-2019, 04:14 AM

2,337 posts, read 2,927,513 times
Quote:
Actually I'm looking for some warmer climate. Boston area is really cold and expensive almost like SV.
I am interested in a much lower salary, and much lower cost of living. From the current $220k down to $130k as an expert in my field should be doable. Everyone moving out of SV knows that.
I heard a story recently, some phd researcher from an older big tech company in SV went to interview in Virginia, but they were just playing with him, asked him nonsense questions that no one could answer about things that are irrelevant in their industry. The interviewers were acting on some kind of emotional reaction.
You realize why they do something like this right? Because Sillycon Valley companies, and their employees who do the interviews, do exactly the same. It is just a matter of payback time, I fully get this. Those guys doing the interview must have had a great day and will be laughing about this years from now. Don't be surprised when nobody is interested in hiring people from Sillycon Valley.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Because Sillycon Valley companies, and their employees who do the interviews, do exactly the same.
I have never heard of this.
Actually a huge number of people have relocated to SV in the last few decades.
Or let's put it this way: A lot more east coast people were hired by SV companies than the other way around.

Last edited by buenos; 07-02-2019 at 11:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment