Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 03:07 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,930,328 times

Advertisements

[quote=usual points;55535800]When I think back at all the jobs I have held through the years, there is one constant: my coworkers loved to complain to each other about the fellow employees and managers.

But I can not remember many examples where someone successfully went to Management or Human Resources and made a formal complaint. When coworkers went to me and gossiped and complained about employees and managers I would always say, "why are you telling me this if they are really so bad to make a formal complaint!" But they never did.

If the fellow employee or manager is really that bad, shouldn't they be called to the carpet and a dedicated employee should make a formal complaint? Right?

Have you ever made a formal complaint about a lazy or dishonest coworker to management at work? Tell us more![/quote]

Nope.

Me and a friend here at work used to talk to each other about a coworker in a different dept who seemed to able to make his own hours, and management never came down on him.

Until the evening he came in after hours, drunk, cussed out a 2nd shift employee, wrote emails to managers cussing THEM out, and partially undressed before leaving. LOL

You know what? He didn't get fired. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 03:42 PM

740 posts, read 446,907 times
Not Sure. My last employment before starting my own business, the company that I worked at, we have this very young manager on our staff. Let's call him "Brad". All the other managers knew he wasn't the most motivated worker. He was too young to be a manager. He lacked the work ethics and he lacked leadership. When I got there, he was already in management. After a month working with Brad, I knew he lacked a lot of skills to be in management. Just didn't quite have the work ethics that a leader should have. My team and I had to help out Brad and his team often. Once in a while, Brad does return the favor.

One day, our boss took out all the managers to lunch, with the exception "Brad" and a Senior Manager, they were to run the office while the rest of us were out at lunch. One discussion leads to another and somehow we ended up talking about up and coming most promising employee...Our boss blurted out he believes "Brad" was the most promising up and coming employee. Anyway, we all went quiet and didn't say a word. Our boss again tried to reaffirm his belief in Brad. We looked at one another, thinking who is going to tell our boss that Brad is not all that great...that the only time he is great is only when he's around upper management, kissing upper management's behind but when is actually on his own, he just barely does enough to get by. After lunch, our boss was shocked that the rest of the management didn't feel the same way as he did. To be honest, we weren't trying to throw Brad under but we had to be honest about what we thought about Brad's work ethics and his lack of leadership skills.

A year later, our boss got promoted and the company brought an outsider to replace him. Our new boss spent the first week evaluating all the managers. Brad didn't get fired but he got shipped out.

Last edited by mikefong123; 06-28-2019 at 04:00 PM..

Old 06-28-2019, 04:21 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,913,580 times
no.
i do document, though.
every little thing.
just in case.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:46 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,748,283 times
No, but I had the opportunity to and am I glad I did not.

A new front desk receptionist was hired for the main office I'll call "A".

I was a manager assigned to one of the many satellite offices so my interaction with A was limited. When I did have to interact with her it was always painful trying to get simple help from her. We would get direction that for X task "A" is now handling that...and then a few weeks later "A" is no longer handling X task. This repeated itself. She would be given extra tasks only to have them removed when she couldn't do them.

People assigned to the main office with her would tell me stories. My favorite: "A" refuses to sign for UPS packages. Why? "Because he (UPS guy) is too sweaty".

Top management kept her around because she was pleasant to look at.

Eventually a series of cascading emails was sent to all the other mangers that were more and more restrictive about what we could ask "A" to help with. Finally one came out that plainly said don't ask her to do anything you cannot do yourself.

Then something happened-I don't know what-but all of us managers were asked to provide input on "A"'s performance. This was shocking that we were being asked this.

I said nothing and was glad I kept my mouth shut. Fast forward a few years and now "A" is in one of the most powerful positions at the company....secretary to the top boss.

Old 06-29-2019, 03:48 PM

5,604 posts, read 4,151,029 times
I want to complain about one of my coworkers. He is a complete bum and a total slacker, and takes shortcuts that affect the rest of us. He's been doing it for years. But he's a nice guy, everyone likes him, he's quite overweight so I think people feel sorry for him and cut him way too much slack, and I'm the union steward that would get stuck defending him if he gets in trouble, and since he's anti-union that would be most unpleasant. I wish he would just do something so stupid or illegal that it was an ungrieveable offense.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:19 PM

7,892 posts, read 4,889,157 times
Nahh why bother? If management was doing their job, they would already know the useless ones and the dead weight would have been kicked out the door along time ago. Truth is, most management these days are dead weight as well. Most corporate environments Ive been only 10 percent of the workers and management were worth a hoot. The rest should have been booted out the door a LONG time ago. Yet nothing is ever done about them.

In most places, everyone knows the problem management is just too lazy to do anything about it. If you bring issues to light and bring up the useless ones you’re just seen as a “trouble maker”. Our society has a sick “shoot the messenger” mentality now. For whatever insane reasons. Problems continue and just get swept under the rug and ignored generally until the company hits the wall and has to lay-off a gazillon people, go bankrupt, gets bought out by a more quality competitor

Old 06-30-2019, 09:38 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,563,266 times
But, what if the management is lazy and dishonest?

Old 06-30-2019, 09:51 AM

135 posts, read 88,561 times
With the exception of illegal behavior, I wouldn't tattle on someone to management. I don't like rats.

Old 06-30-2019, 10:07 AM

29,627 posts, read 34,082,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Not me, but as a manager I have had people reporting to me that made formal complaints. Non were dishonesty, all were related to the person's "failures" in the performance of their duties. In the end the investigations showed them to all be nothing more than personality conflicts, so we went to HR who arranged for outside mediation between the accused and accuser.
Right, the big questions to ask before escalating anything to management are: what have I done to solve this problem myself? and does this other person's behavior impact how I do my job? It's not "tattling" to speak to a manager about something that affects your work.

Old 06-30-2019, 10:30 AM

5,604 posts, read 4,151,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
But, what if the management is lazy and dishonest?

What if they are violating government policies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment