Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 09:47 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,352,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Gee, it's just so hard to type those four or five extra letters and type out your full name.

Regards,

Blue
I've worked with some people from other countries who have SUPER long names.

The only thing I've really seen, and what I also do sometimes, is something like "A. Smith."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 06:25 AM

9,440 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
This seems to be common at my work, especially among management. For example, we have a male manager who closes his e-mails with “K” for Ken, a female who uses the “O” in her first name In her closings. If they happen to have initials that actually spell a word, they are hooked and ALWAYS use their cutesy initials. When did this trend start? Is it pretty common?. I had never seen a fellow employee, especially not Management in the early part of my working years. Such a thing would have seemed like “ high school”- lol.
My email signature is a signature block. If I have a long, chain email with one person, I remove that and just put my initials after each response. The person knows who I am.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:10 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,147,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I have a signature at the bottom of my emails which eliminates the need for typing a closing/sign-off.
...and in my signature I also include my contact information. There is nothing more frustrating than having to look for a phone number or address because someone doesn't include in their signature line.

I can't imagine even wasting the time it takes to type 3 letters for initials on every email when outlook (and any other email program) does the signature automatically for you. Its reasonable to conclude that anyone that hasn't taken the 2 minutes to set up a signature is both lazy and inefficient in other aspects of their work.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:54 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,077 times
Why is this even an issue? What difference does it make? Sign with your name if you want. Use your initials if you want. It's not really something that warrants a lot of attention.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:03 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,989 times
I, along with everyone else in my company, have an automatic signature set up. I still "close" emails with some sort of sign off, usually -

Thanks,
Liz

My boss very often uses her initials in the same manner. It's never bothered me a bit.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:57 AM

341 posts, read 284,806 times
What if half the guys you work with have last names of Nguyen or Lopez?

Old 07-09-2019, 10:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Never seen that, just reviewed and every email this week has been signed by the person's first name only, followed by their full Outlook signature with title, address and phone.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:24 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,753,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Never seen that, just reviewed and every email this week has been signed by the person's first name only, followed by their full Outlook signature with title, address and phone.
If you work within the Outlook cloud, that's what you'll see.

Not all industries/companies/connection groups use Ogod.

Old 07-09-2019, 01:54 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,632 times
I have an auto signature for my intial emails and replies so I don't even have to type anything out. IMHO, those that do that obviously don't know how to use the system. LOL. The only time I use that to sign off is if I'm writing a note...on a post-it or something...and being lazy. I also hate people starting emails with "hey you". I'm old school I guess since I was also raised by a 1960-70's legal secretary and was an admin assistant for over 15 years, so all the "by the book" stuff I do is habit and always professional. The only time I get informal is with close colleagues and typically it's not about work stuff.

The workplace is becoming more and more informal. I get it. I'm somewhat on board with it, but it rubs me the wrong way sometimes due to my upbringing. Seriously, when your first job is working at a lawfirm, you do things by the book, you are always professional, you are taught what good work ethic means. Well, at least the law firms in the 90's did; I have no clue what they're like today.

At my current workplace, they don't do that mainly because we all have our auto-signatures on (mandatory).

Old 07-12-2019, 11:44 AM

277 posts, read 306,300 times
I use my first name initial for 80% of the emails I send - it sets the tone to be a bit more casual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment