Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 06:43 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,323,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Yea that’s big issue to these days. Being valuable just comes with added work load and stress and no promotion or increase of pay. Companies love to find some suckers they can just throw all the work onto. There’s hardly any correlation with being valuable and doing a great job everyday with promotions and pay raises
^This is true. I'm amazed how so many lazy, cheating employees who talk more than work and call in "sick" often but they still have their job. Moreover, they can do light duties and the ones who work hard have to take their slacks, to do more and take all the heavy duties from the "sick" ones.

I know a couple of co-workers who often called in "sick" and told the manager that they had shoulder pain, back pain, etc… and they had doctor's notes for not to lift heavy objects (some lifting job is included in the office work). And it ended up to the one who worked hard and never called in sick. So this hard-working person had to do double, triple the labor heavy workload while the other two just sat there and talked about their “sickness” and showed how they could not move the arm or could not stand up and walk because of the back pain. One even sounded very proud that she could ask her doctor for whatever she wanted. Can you imagine?

Some company has such absurd, stupid system to spoil the lazy, cheating employees. That's why the honest, hard-working ones become sick too.

About working with government for lower pay or with private employer with higher pay? It's not true that government always pay less than private employers.

I don't know about other fields, but I know in the healthcare field in my city, all the nurses to the kitchen, housekeeping employees get much higher pay in the hospitals ran by government than in private companies. In many positions, the top wages in the private are even lower than the starting wages in the hospitals. But it's not easy to get a job in the hospital. You always have to start with a casual position or a part-time, and it takes a long time to have a full-time position.

And if that’s the way it is (private employers pay more than government), I think it would be good to work for private employers when you are 25- 40, and work for government from 40 - 65 because when you are younger you can jump a few times to get a better job with higher pay when you have a chance. And when you are older, you may want a stable job instead of a high pay job with high stress of worrying you might not have that job tomorrow. But what you like does not mean what you can get because as people say getting a government job is like winning lottery.

In life, most people have to or want to jump jobs a few times before they can or would like to settle down (if they can or want). Nowadays, there's no warranty for a long lasting job anywhere anyway, no matter with private or government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 08:37 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyGuacomole View Post
I know this question has been asked a 1,000 times, but I am just curious. I am in my early 30 and have worked for the gov. for about 7 years. I guess I have gotten a bit spoiled with benefits pension etc. although I don't really make that much money. My question is if you were capable, would you rather have a gov. job making the above amount or a 50k job in the private sector. I am a bit scared because I have no clue how to manage 401ks etc and have not heard anything positive about them. Maybe someone else can shed some light on how they work.

The first option.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:34 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
I actually know plenty of people that worked for the gov and left. The pension wasn't enough for them. That's the problem for young people. Who wants to work underpaid for the govt for 2 decades living paycheck to paycheck just to wait for the pension to kick in.

Majority of govt jobs are underpaid except for tech or intelligence jobs. I have a relative that works for the city govt for 14 years and only gotten 2 raises so far. He's angry that he's been passed on promotions every time but stayed because of the pension. He's no longer skilled enough to compete for private sector jobs and his age is already up there so he just has to stay put for another 10 years and retire.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:44 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post

And if that’s the way it is (private employers pay more than government), I think it would be good to work for private employers when you are 25- 40, and work for government from 40 - 65 because when you are younger you can jump a few times to get a better job with higher pay when you have a chance. And when you are older, you may want a stable job instead of a high pay job with high stress of worrying you might not have that job tomorrow. But what you like does not mean what you can get because as people say getting a government job is like winning lottery.

In life, most people have to or want to jump jobs a few times before they can or would like to settle down (if they can or want). Nowadays, there's no warranty for a long lasting job anywhere anyway, no matter with private or government.
I work for a school division- public sector, not really “ government”.
I did pretty much that though a little later than 40. Started this job at 46. I’ll retire with 20 years in.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:54 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Private, with my 401K.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:58 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,052,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyGuacomole View Post
I know this question has been asked a 1,000 times, but I am just curious. I am in my early 30 and have worked for the gov. for about 7 years. I guess I have gotten a bit spoiled with benefits pension etc. although I don't really make that much money. My question is if you were capable, would you rather have a gov. job making the above amount or a 50k job in the private sector. I am a bit scared because I have no clue how to manage 401ks etc and have not heard anything positive about them. Maybe someone else can shed some light on how they work.
It's really a tough call. That 50k private job can disappear during a recession, while the government job will likely be more protected in such a scenario. And a defined benefit pension plan is probably worth another $10k per year.

If you have compelling advancement opportunities in the private sector then go for it (for example, consulting can be a major resume booster).

Old 07-09-2019, 04:47 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,772,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Government all the way. No contest. Chances are you will be able to retire. Private sector jobs generally don’t last anymore. Everyone downsizes or the company hits a brick wall and closes or gets bought out or your job just gets outsourced. Or you’re just laid off once you hit middle age (30-40 years old) because some executive somewhere needs a bigger bonus or weekend yacht . The extra bit of salary just isn’t worth it

Chances of anyone even making it to retirement the private sector isn’t good. Not anymore

Pessimist much? Literally every person I know that is working in the private sector is "making it to retirement".

Old 07-09-2019, 05:13 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I actually know plenty of people that worked for the gov and left. The pension wasn't enough for them. That's the problem for young people. Who wants to work underpaid for the govt for 2 decades living paycheck to paycheck just to wait for the pension to kick in.

Majority of govt jobs are underpaid except for tech or intelligence jobs. I have a relative that works for the city govt for 14 years and only gotten 2 raises so far. He's angry that he's been passed on promotions every time but stayed because of the pension. He's no longer skilled enough to compete for private sector jobs and his age is already up there so he just has to stay put for another 10 years and retire.
Absolutely. In my old state, I don’t think think they’ve updated the pay bands for decades. One coworker who started in a position in the late ‘80s told me they were still hiring people at the same salary in 2016-17. I think there have only been two very small raises (no COLA increases) in the past 12-14 years. There certainly hasn’t been a change in the pay bands in my field since I started 10 years ago and I’ve seen some positions even posting for a deflated band. It’s no surprise that younger people in their 20s-40s tend to move on. Some will stay long enough to finish public service loan forgiveness or get tuition reimbursement for a(nother) degree, but unless young people are promoted and promoted often, they tend to leave.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:29 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,441 times
It depends on your age. If you are in the private sector and approaches 40 but still gets nowhere, then you should look for a public sector job.

The pay scale varies among the 50 states for State and City jobs. I read that as the governor of Maine, he merely gets $70K per year and his wife has to work as waitress. If the governor gets such meager salary, don't expect the State employee gets much.

It also depends on which state you work in. If there is a budget crunch, don't expect there will be a pay raise. And some States or Cities do lay off workers.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:33 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

If it is unionized, usually there is a built-in step movement that employees will get pay raise every 2-3 years at 3-4% even though there is no promotion. And new contract will be negotiated between the government and union every 3-4 years which usually guarantees pay raise matching inflation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment