Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 11:42 AM

5,991 posts, read 3,731,946 times

Advertisements

It's really sad to read the posts from those who have a perpetual "victim" mentality. A minimum wage job should never be anyone's goal in life. It should be just a job that you do to earn some money while you're preparing yourself for something better. If you're not preparing for something better, then you're not trying. You're just whining.

If you're going to go to college, then study something that will prepare you to do something that's in demand. Don't waste time and money studying something that prepares you for nothing and then complain because you can't find a good job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 12:16 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
It's really sad to read the posts from those who have a perpetual "victim" mentality. A minimum wage job should never be anyone's goal in life. It should be just a job that you do to earn some money while you're preparing yourself for something better. If you're not preparing for something better, then you're not trying. You're just whining.

If you're going to go to college, then study something that will prepare you to do something that's in demand. Don't waste time and money studying something that prepares you for nothing and then complain because you can't find a good job.
It is not about victim mentality it is about reality. Many jobs at or around min wage are not just fast food or retail jobs. Jobs like janitors, home care aides, child care workers all jobs meant for adults as careers are low paying. if everyone went to get a better job who would take care of children or old people or clean up offices? There are no where near enough higher paying jobs for everyone to do even if everyone could and wanted to. But people like you are going to kiss up to the rich and pretend you got where you are all by yourself.

Old 11-09-2019, 12:22 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
It is not about victim mentality it is about reality. Many jobs at or around min wage are not just fast food or retail jobs. Jobs like janitors, home care aides, child care workers all jobs meant for adults as careers are low paying. if everyone went to get a better job who would take care of children or old people or clean up offices? There are no where near enough higher paying jobs for everyone to do even if everyone could and wanted to. But people like you are going to kiss up to the rich and pretend you got where you are all by yourself.

Those would all be fine careers of course if it was the 1950s-1970s again, but the pay doesn't keep up with the ridiculous COL and inflation.

Old 11-09-2019, 12:55 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Those would all be fine careers of course if it was the 1950s-1970s again,
but the pay doesn't keep up with the ridiculous COL and inflation.
Not quite. The pay wasn't enough to keep up with much way back when either.
But there were also sensible work rules and clear paths to progress on.

Since then the real problem showed up: The market value of labor, available workers time, has been
decimated by the over supply of warm bodies that applicants have to compete with for jobs.

This allows the employers to justify a low wage rate.
eg: If Tom doesn't want to accept the $8/hr deal then Dick or Harry will.

Old 11-09-2019, 12:57 PM

5,991 posts, read 3,731,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Jobs aren't "meant" for any specific person or category. They're offered for anyone who is able to do the work in a reasonably good manner. Naturally, the higher skilled jobs are going to pay more because there are fewer people qualified to fill them.

Quit worrying about what everyone else is going to do. Prepare YOURSELF for a good job and find a way to acquire the training, skill, or education needed to get that job. Some good paying jobs have openings at the entry level where you start out doing the basic stuff and work your way up. You earn while you learn. The more you learn, the higher up you go.

I'm not kissing up to anyone or pretending anything. I worked my way through college with numerous part time jobs and spent two years in the Army while doing that. After college, I worked a part time job in addition to my full time job nearly all my working career. Some of my friends worked a FULL TIME job and attended college at the same time. They worked shift work or attended night school or whatever it took because they were willing to sacrifice immediate gratification for a brighter future for them and their family. If you don't have the drive to do more than the bare minimum, well... you'll always get paid the bare minimum.

Oh, and don't kid yourself about inflation and cost of living compared to the 1970's and 1980's. Back then inflation was running about 8% to 12% per year and mortgage interest was in the range of 8% to 15% per year depending on the precise time period. You think you've got it bad now? Ha ha

Old 11-09-2019, 01:35 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Those would all be fine careers of course if it was the 1950s-1970s again, but the pay doesn't keep up with the ridiculous COL and inflation.
First of let me tell you I am a 71 year old baby boomer who still works full time not because I have to but because I want to. I like my job and to me it's fun so why not?

Let's look back to the good old days when everyone was making huge amounts of money... lets's revisit 1960 when I was a kid.

1960 the average annual income in America was $4,007.12 or $77.06 per week. Good money it was!

Adjust for inflation we come up with an equivalent of $668.44 for the week. In today's dollars that's $16.71/hour and that is the average across the spectrum from high to low income earners.

My first hourly job was 1965 when I got a whopping $0.90/hour. Jaw dropping, isn't i?

So how did we get by?

First off the average size of a new home in 1960 was 1,510 sq ft with 3.3 persons per house whereas today it is 2,430 sq ft with 2.6 persons per house.

I remember the house we lived in in 1960 and it was 940 sq ft with three bedrooms and one bathroom for two adults and four children.

This house was built 1948 and had a one car garage. Want to guess why 90% of the homes built in 1950 had but one car garages?

We did not have internet, cable television, video games, cell phones or other electronic crap to spend our money on. It all went to food and back then we had nowhere near the number of fast food junk places we have today because few could afford to go out to eat.

For Christmas I got underwear, a couple pair of jeans and maybe a couple new shirts. Very few toys or gadgets.

Back then most people had party line phones to save money. The old rotary type phone.

Go back to living the 1955 style of living and see how much LESS it costs to live.

People who think boomers had it so good make me sick.

Old 11-09-2019, 01:51 PM

4,970 posts, read 2,712,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Not quite. The pay wasn't enough to keep up with much way back when either.
But there were also sensible work rules and clear paths to progress on.

Since then the real problem showed up: The market value of labor, available workers time, has been
decimated by the over supply of warm bodies that applicants have to compete with for jobs.

This allows the employers to justify a low wage rate.
eg: If Tom doesn't want to accept the $8/hr deal then Dick or Harry will.
Agree. Too many workers for too few jobs.

Old 11-09-2019, 02:37 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
That's not true. There is always something someone can do to change their situation. If someone is making $8/hr, they can get to $10/hr. Then on and on. Slow, incremental progress is still progress.
The Cost of Living rises equal to or faster than the small raise though. And, when the average rent is rising where do these people live who make a low wage? They don't own houses. They should, if they work full time, be able to afford basic housing, food, utilities, which many don't.
https://www.inman.com/2019/07/19/ren...ing-up-and-up/

Old 11-09-2019, 04:10 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Asking billionaires to pay their fair share of taxes isn't necessarily hatred and envy.
Billionaires already paid their share, and quite a bit more! They've created enormous numbers of jobs and paid millions, or tens of millions, in various taxes!

Wanting them to pay and pay and pay until they have no more than you absolutely is hatred and envy.

Old 11-09-2019, 04:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Low wage jobs are consistently low skill jobs
That is a hint
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment