Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 07:33 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times

Advertisements

Holidays used to be a time for people to spend with their families. Not a mall stampede for sociopathic businesssman to get even richer. This country has gone down the toilet and we continue to let it happen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 07:50 PM

1,142 posts, read 579,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
OldG, I see plenty wrong with that. It’s a holiday and non essential services should be closed. We all got along just fine when this was the case.
Exactly.

Old 11-28-2019, 07:58 PM

1,142 posts, read 579,038 times
This week I'll have worked 66.5 hrs

I will be off work tomorrow at 3pm.

15 hrs are overtime this wk

It would be 11.5 hrs of overtime otherwise, if it wasn't Thanksgiving.

We couldn't really hold the holiday at our home this year anyhow due to heavy snow

Worked out fine

Old 11-28-2019, 08:17 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
They are getting paid for their time away from their families. I worked yesterday and had to be away from my family and I got paid. I don't see the issue here.

People should probably not enter an industry where it is common to have to work on the holidays if they are concerned with the idea. Every employer will handle it differently and it's perfectly fine to treat it as another normal working day... because that's what it is in that particular industry.
"Normal" is not the word I would choose to describe the retail environment of Black Friday. The month or so between Thanksgiving and Christmas is by far the most hectic time of the year in retail, and though it's not legally mandated, a good company would show some way to reward their employees who tough it out.

Old 11-29-2019, 01:40 AM

513 posts, read 541,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Holidays used to be a time for people to spend with their families. Not a mall stampede for sociopathic businesssman to get even richer. This country has gone down the toilet and we continue to let it happen

Yea...'cause asinine drunken in-laws / worthless gifts / same stupid family arguments / overstuffing to pukesville….them's the good old days!!!

I know this will put some C-Ders in the fetal position...but not all of us had perfect Norman Rockwell holidays growing up.

No thanks, I'll pass.

Old 11-29-2019, 04:56 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,860 times
I always thought retail workers were paid overtime for working on a holiday. I figured they want to make the extra money, so good for them. To hear that they are not getting overtime is disgusting.

Old 11-29-2019, 08:09 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Quote:
Easy for you to say when you aren’t working for a crappy wage while being away from your family.
No one is making anyone take these jobs.

Old 11-29-2019, 08:14 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Correct.

I have a relative who works for different large retailer, and in her case, and most, if f/t (per retail measurements), they get paid holiday pay on top of pay for working it.
And a LOT of times they make those same workers take an extra day off during that pay period, meaning they wind up with the usual paycheck PLUS having worked on the holiday. It's no fun having to explain to some kid in their first job why they don't have any extra money and how the company played on their naivety.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
No one is making anyone take these jobs.
I really hate these kind of callous responses. Are YOU willing to provide a job for people who don't have the wherewith-all to get a higher education or better job? Not everyone has the ability to do better, not to mention I can tell you that a lot of consumers depend on people to do these jobs. Think hard about it, where on earth do you think you'd be without them?

Old 11-29-2019, 08:27 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
Quote:
OldG, I see plenty wrong with that. It’s a holiday and non essential services should be closed. We all got along just fine when this was the case.
You're free to close your business any day you see fit. Where, exactly, is the problem?

Old 11-29-2019, 08:30 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
Quote:
Easy for you to say when you aren’t working for a crappy wage while being away from your family.
How is your choice everyone else's problem?

And, if you're working for a "crappy wage", isn't another days pay, especially at time and a half, a Godsend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment