Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 01:14 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,246,443 times

Advertisements

Now that I'm seriously starting to look for a new job, I was just wondering if it's possible that my resume could be totally tossed out because they see that I'm a 32 year old woman and they don't want to deal with the possibility of me going on maternity leave?

Do you think there are employers out there that would just totally toss the resume and not even bring a potential mother in to interview?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 01:16 PM

3,012 posts, read 2,207,102 times
Sure, there are some. But your resume shouldn't list your age. (though some can figure it out by graduation dates, etc.)

Old 12-02-2019, 01:17 PM

3,712 posts, read 3,643,730 times
I'm sure there is a handful, but would you even want to work there. I don't think it's prevalent. As a hiring manager it's never crossed my mind. If anything, all things equal I'd probably RATHER hire a potential mom, as in, it would be a plus for me

Old 12-02-2019, 01:22 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,246,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Sure, there are some. But your resume shouldn't list your age. (though some can figure it out by graduation dates, etc.)

Right, it says i graduated college in 2009, so 10 years ago. Most people graduate around 22, so... they can figure it out for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I'm sure there is a handful, but would you even want to work there. I don't think it's prevalent. As a hiring manager it's never crossed my mind. If anything, all things equal I'd probably RATHER hire a potential mom, as in, it would be a plus for me

Good point! But the issue is I would never know if it was because of that or if because I wasn't qualified for the position.

I applied for a job 2 weeks ago and never heard from them. I'm positive I was qualified and a good fit for the job. To not even be called for an interview is strange to me. So it's just frustrating to not know what happened. It's always in the back of my mind that employers don't want to hire someone who may have young kids or have them in the near future.

Old 12-02-2019, 01:25 PM

3,012 posts, read 2,207,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
RI applied for a job 2 weeks ago and never heard from them. I'm positive I was qualified and a good fit for the job. To not even be called for an interview is strange to me.
As a fellow job-hunter, I agree it sucks. But get used to it.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:02 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,852,854 times
As our Corp HR recruiter (in the Seattle area) I confidently state that any organization ruling out a qualified candidate because of any age is severely limiting their opportunities to hire the best candidate.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:45 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,294,493 times
Quote:
Now that I'm seriously starting to look for a new job, I was just wondering if it's possible that my resume could be totally tossed out because they see that I'm a 32 year old woman and they don't want to deal with the possibility of me going on maternity leave?

Do you think there are employers out there that would just totally toss the resume and not even bring a potential mother in to interview?
Yes. I have been dealing with this for 3 years and I had a friend in the company who gave me insider information that they loved me in the interview but couldn't hire me due to my age … meanwhile I know they can't ask, but I have no children and don't want any.

This particular co had I not the friend there, no they wouldn't have brought me in. I apply to hundreds of jobs a week. I maybe hear back from 1 of them.

It's not that hard to decipher a person's age or find out if they have children. The internet lends itself to a lot of information that can be found.

Thankfully I'll be 40 soon. I hope it will start to get better after that.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:01 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Don't list graduation dates on your resume. There is no need to do this. If this is needed after get an offer to do a background check, then you can provide them.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:04 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,294,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Don't list graduation dates on your resume. There is no need to do this. If this is needed after get an offer to do a background check, then you can provide them.
It's still very easy to figure out based on just information that is on the internet.

I don't have my graduation date on my resume.

They still know.

B/c any site like intellius, spokeo etc etc will show the person's age (even if you don't pay for the report). Sometimes it's wrong but it's very easy to find that out.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:15 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,345,236 times
Quote:
Right, it says i graduated college in 2009, so 10 years ago. Most people graduate around 22, so... they can figure it out for sure.

Good point! But the issue is I would never know if it was because of that or if because I wasn't qualified for the position.

I applied for a job 2 weeks ago and never heard from them. I'm positive I was qualified and a good fit for the job. To not even be called for an interview is strange to me. So it's just frustrating to not know what happened. It's always in the back of my mind that employers don't want to hire someone who may have young kids or have them in the near future.
Remove dates from your resume including the date of graduation. There is no reason to provide that on a resume unless you just graduated college and have no work experience. A friend of mine who is much older than you doesn't list the start/end dates for jobs he has had. He listed those that relate to what he is applying for and the amount of time he was there such as 2 years, 4.5 years, etc.

A resume is not the same as a job application or a background check where they will ask for the last 7 years of employment.

Let's not chase shadows here. If someone passes on your resume because of something foolish like this, you can't be all things to all people. None of us can. If they are looking for someone right out of college, they would go to the college campuses to do recruiting. If they wanted to hire someone who is never going to go on leave to have a child, they could make a requirement to have 20+ years experience in the job description.

You know what employers do when women go on leave to have a child? They hire someone from a staffing firm to fill-in. That's all. They aren't going to pass on someone because they might go on leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment