Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If I were rich or financially independent:
I would still probably work at a job. 44 34.92%
I would most probably not work at a job. 82 65.08%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 02:07 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

Suppose that you had enough money in your savings or investments to pay all of the expenses for you and your family - including housing, food, healthcare, transportation, entertainment, travel, hobbies, charity, etc.

Would you still work at a job? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 02:08 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Ever? Maybe. But first I would travel the world...

Old 12-02-2019, 02:09 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,265 times
I would volunteer with my children's activities.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:16 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
After I got done traveling, I would find work that I enjoy and brings me fulfillment, without regard to how much it paid me.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:27 PM

797 posts, read 3,580,676 times
Of course I would not work. The only reason to work and be away from family is to earn $ so you can be with them. If you no longer need to earn, you can then be with them all the time. Trust me, you can find ways to fill your time while not working (through volunteer work and just being with your family). If your kids are grown and gone or you never had them, then its just you and the spouse. Then you would just travel the world and would not think of having the need to fill your time with work. Plus, you would own several vacation houses (mountains, beach, etc) where you would spend your time when not traveling.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:28 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
no, of course not. Volunteer sometimes most likely.

Why not? Because I don't identify myself through a job. I would never be bored if I would not have to go to work every day.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:41 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Does anyone think that working a regular job maintains a sense of order and discipline in your life that you otherwise would not have?

How about studies which suggest that the mind and body deteriorate if they are not challenged on a regular basis?

Old 12-02-2019, 03:01 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
At 22 I received a large inheritance via a trust fund. I kept my full time job for another two years after, but discovered that the majority of money I was earning while working.. was going to pay income taxes. I haven’t worked for a paycheck in going on 6 years.
Right now I am in the South of France on a little farm that was included in my inheritance.
The other day while having my morning coffee and looking out over the landscape and watching a hand go about his chores, I wondered what it would be like to move here permanently, marry a guy like him, raise a passel of kids and just live a simpler, less complicated life in the French countryside.
The more I think about it... the more appealing it gets. Lol
Having a fair amount of money is almost a full time job in and of itself. Having it is one thing. saving it, investing it and keeping it is another. It can be quite stressful ( for me anyway).

Last edited by Sydney123; 12-02-2019 at 03:24 PM..

Old 12-02-2019, 03:33 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
At 22 I received a large inheritance via a trust fund. I kept my full time job for another two years after, but discovered that the majority of money I was earning while working.. was going to pay income taxes. I haven’t worked for a paycheck in going on 6 years.
Right now I am in the South of France on a little farm that was included in my inheritance.
The other day while having my morning coffee and looking out over the landscape and watching a hand go about his chores, I wondered what it would be like to move here permanently, marry a guy like him, raise a passel of kids and just live a simpler, less complicated life in the French countryside.
The more I think about it... the more appealing it gets. Lol
Having a fair amount of money is almost a full time job in and of itself. Having it is one thing. saving it, investing it and keeping it is another. It can be quite stressful ( for me anyway).
Eventually without $$ coming in, it will deplete and you will have to go back to work. Inheritances will only last so long. I too love to travel but it's a surefire way to watch your money go bye bye very quickly.

What will you do when you retire? Are you planning to have this money last your whole life? Kids are expensive for one thing so be prepared for that. They will suck away all your money.

I have a lot more respect for people who earn their money working then having it handed to them. You didn't earn that money, remember that.

Yes, I would continue working still. I love the work I do. I have met so many wonderful in my business and I also get a lot of fun perks.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:42 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Of course I would not work. The only reason to work and be away from family is to earn $ so you can be with them.
So those who are working on cutting edge cancer research should stop doing that immediately when they have enough to retire? I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment