Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 09:28 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
How many of you have resorted to self-employment...?
How many consider the straight job as something to be resorted to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 10:18 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
People getting laid off after having worked at a company for 20+ years only to be replaced by somebody with less experience so they can pay them less. Or automation taking up jobs. Everything is done in favor of the company. It's a one-way street. I understand we're all in it to make money, but it leans heavily toward benefitting companies. I find that to be pretty broken. Anyway, I'm not here to discuss whether the system is broken or not. You can disagree. I just wanted to see what creative ideas people have come up with for self-employment.
As it should be. You are talking about wanting to start your own business. Would it be better for you to have automation of hire lots of employees? Would it be better for you to keep long term employees or hire those that can get the job for less?

How will you look at this when you are running an enterprise with employees?

Will it be better to keep long term employees or bring in new people with new ideas. Nothing wrong with long term employees, as long as they are innovative and up to date on the current way of doing business. I know something about being at the same place for over 20 years. I will hit 22 years in February. When I started we had very few computers. Most of our equipment was mechanical in nature. Medical beds had motors but no diagnostics. Boilers had gauges but no computer to let you know what was going on with it.

That all started to change. Now everyone has a computer, iPad, iPhone. We run everything on diagnostics, the facilities are all computer controlled. We had people leave because of how things were changing. You can't always keep people that are not willing to change with the times. We had three people retire that had been here for longer than 20 years. One guy since 1979. He did not want to learn how to run a modern facility. Long term employees? Sure, as long as they are willing to change.

Old 12-04-2019, 10:32 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:

Just curious to see what other people are doing for self-employment once they've made the realization that they don't like working for other people like I have? Would be fun to see different ideas.
Well, I sure don't like working for the company I am with, but I KNOW that I'm in no way would be a good manager or business owner. So, instead of chugging aspirin and maalox and various antidepressants I'm working for others and just enjoying it as best as I can.

Old 12-04-2019, 10:50 AM

732 posts, read 968,975 times
Quote:
People getting laid off after having worked at a company for 20+ years only to be replaced by somebody with less experience so they can pay them less. Or automation taking up jobs. Everything is done in favor of the company. It's a one-way street. I understand we're all in it to make money, but it leans heavily toward benefitting companies. I find that to be pretty broken. .

Well I saw a lot of that for 15 years, people with the worst ideas or total boondoggles getting promoted while those who did good hard work that produced didn't, or watching friends setup a plant in Malaysia for two years only to be laid off at end of the two years as their job was now there, and so much more. So I did work on my own for 20 years. If you can find work that you don't have to be self employed and can stay away from the nasty stuff you should do that. So, stay at that work(employed) if you can, because working on your own is hard.

First and I never saw it coming, people who see you as a vicious competitor when all you want is self employment. I had chances to hire and go to 3 to 10 employees, didn't want that, just wanted self employment. But some don't see it that way, they will tear up brochures at trade meetings and toss all your cards that you just put out for possible future customers because they don't want you to make it. Stuff like that and worse.

Then some bigger companies that suddenly pass a rule that no small independent companies (people with a small LLC like I was) are to work under them. Basically some rule that comes from corporate and you are out or they can't hire you even if they desperately want to get your services due to corporate rules.

All that being said, it is possible to be self employed. But you have to be a bit tough and ignore the craziness you find like I mention above. I don't know your area but it really is great to get away and do something alternate.

Old 12-04-2019, 12:48 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,672,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
This is one of the explicitly advertised justifications for Obamacare (ACA)
Too bad it ended up as just a half measure, would have been nice to have more options.

One of the huge advantages of a universal healthcare system is that you don't have to worry about health insurance at all. You can make risky career moves or be an entrepreneur without having to worry about choosing to forgo a big expense or potentially getting wiped out financially due to a random health event. For a country that promotes itself as encouraging mavericks, the USA puts far too many hurdles in the way rather than giving a safety net.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:29 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times
I really think it's about one's temperament. My BIL sat in a government chair his whole life approving SBA loans. I would have hated the monotony, but he was absolutely content and is now retired with a good pension. As for me, I held a number of jobs after college. I thought all of my bosses were idiots, so I decided to become self-employed and prove the point. That was 40 years ago and I wouldn't change a thing. It works because it suits my personality. Probably the biggest thing is that I resent having someone else tell me what I'm worth or what my time is worth. When you work for yourself, there is no one else to blame. You either work hard or you go broke. There's no one to ask for a raise, you just have to work harder & smarter. It definitely takes a certain confidence in one's self to pull it off. One thing I know for sure is that NO company would have ever paid me the kind of money I've made or given me the kind of freedom I enjoy.

Old 12-04-2019, 02:26 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,312 times
Quote:
Anyway, I'm not here to discuss whether the system is broken or not.
Then maybe you shouldn't have used the phrase in the title of your thread...? Just sayin'.....

I chose self-employment at age 23 because it was exciting and I got to be my own boss. Many different businesses later, I do have regrets (lack of steady income at times etc..) but I would probably choose it again if I had it to do over.....

Old 12-04-2019, 03:13 PM

1,158 posts, read 960,857 times
I am getting ready to start a side business. I have worked in health insurance for a very long time. While my job is secure, the potential for huge raises just does not exist in our line of business anymore. Outsourcing has already happened. AI is on the horizon. Corporations do not value or take care of their employees anymore. Benefits are decreasing.

I am a driven Type A personality and know I can eventually make more on my own than working for someone else. I am ready to take the leap and get the ball rolling in 2020.

Health insurance should be separate from employment. You would see a huge surge in entrepreneurship.

The thing people forget about getting rid of older/high dollar employees - is one day you're going to be that person...unless you're self employed....lol

Last edited by Angie682; 12-04-2019 at 03:26 PM..

Old 12-04-2019, 07:39 PM

388 posts, read 307,395 times
"Resort to" makes it sound like something that's undesirable, or a last resort. I eagerly anticipated working for myself, and worked hard to make it happen. Now I have two music gigs that I love, and work full time running our gaming and hobby store. It's much, much harder than just showing up somewhere and collecting a paycheck, and there are days when I miss that stability, but then I look around at my little shop and the community we've built, and my toddler playing on the floor next to me, and I'm extremely grateful we took the risks required to make it happen.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:01 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
This is one of the explicitly advertised justifications for Obamacare (ACA).

How much is the family plan on the "exchanges" in your home state?
The ACA went in the opposite direction. The employer mandate forced employers to provide health insurance to employees. What really needs to happen is there needs to be a separation between employment and health insurance. You should be able to keep your insurance when you switch jobs, leave your job, or become self-employed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment