Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 12:30 AM

16 posts, read 11,119 times

Advertisements

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernard.../#7c55b8df3f5b

Do you dis/agree with these skills?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-24-2019 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: Replaced copyrighted material with link.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:20 AM

4,964 posts, read 2,709,998 times
Mastery of these skills has always been important for job and career growth. This is nothing new.

I was a software developer for 35 years and honing and refining these skills was a must in my profession for my entire career. This holds true for many other fields. Again, nothing new, just repackaged.

Old 12-06-2019, 07:09 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,322,407 times
Yes, as others say, these skills are nothing new. They were/are essential in the past, present and in the future, not only for work, but also for living in life daily. Everybody has a few or many of those skills. Some has more, some has less. Not everyone has all of them. That's why some people can be in the higher rank, and others in the lower.

If employers require everyone to have ALL of those skills, they are not going to find or have anyone.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:13 PM

13,647 posts, read 9,708,585 times
None of these are "skills". They're character-traits, habits, or general broadening of mind.

Instead, examples of "skills" would be: C++, AutoCad, operating a forklift, CDL 18-wheeler license, touch-typing, reading an X-ray or slicing potatoes.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:18 PM

571 posts, read 321,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
None of these are "skills". They're character-traits, habits, or general broadening of mind.

Instead, examples of "skills" would be: C++, AutoCad, operating a forklift, CDL 18-wheeler license, touch-typing, reading an X-ray or slicing potatoes.
With the exception of 9), these are what you'd call "soft skills". Probably alluding to the notion that a lot of techies don't have them.

Even if you have a bunch of hard skills, you're going to be hard pressed to find success if you can't demonstrate some semblance of being a human.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:55 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot1q3 View Post
[Snip.]

Do you dis/agree with these skills?
I graduated from the need to be PC, as your skillset requires. I'm happily retired from the clutches of corporate conformity and the oppression of Human Resources.
Your roster is a ittle too namby-pamby with the multicultural nonsense and the need to "celebrate" change. Celebrate change? Is that some code for mandatory acceptance? Please explain.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-24-2019 at 09:01 AM..

Old 12-06-2019, 04:36 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,067,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
I graduated from the need to be PC, as your skillset requires. I'm happily retired from the clutches of corporate conformity and the oppression of Human Resources.
Your roster is a ittle too namby-pamby with the multicultural nonsense and the need to "celebrate" change. Celebrate change? Is that some code for mandatory acceptance? Please explain.
Appreciate your thoughts. To me, "diversity" is only a good thing if it actually produces good results. Otherwise, it is simply "feelgood" nonsense. In the same way, viewing all "discrimination" as evil is nonsense. Obviously, discriminating against people solely on the color of their skin is counterproductive and wrong-headed. But to discriminate based on sensible reasons? Perfectly acceptable, IMHO. Discrimination is a worthy trait that keeps us alive; it keeps us from eating green bologna and warm egg salad, and dating people with a history of screwing over former lovers. Yeah, I escaped from modern-day Human Resources influence a year-and-a-half ago myself, it's probably the thing I miss least about working.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:34 PM

22,162 posts, read 19,213,038 times
the most glaring ommissions from the list are
good work ethic, good work habits, such as come to work on time
have a good attitude
be productive and efficient, good time management
good customer service

are those new? nope. are they vital? yup

Old 12-06-2019, 07:01 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,067,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
have a good attitude
good customer service
Are those new? nope. are they vital? yup
Yep. My Mom always said to "Give your employer a little bit more effort than they're paying you for, every day, it keeps them impressed with you, and keeps you involved in your work". There are so many important traits that a lot of people view as simple clichés, such as:

Don't badmouth the company you work for (don't bite the hand that feeds you),

Don't throw co-workers under the bus (you're going to have to work with these people for a long time, and who knows how close you yourself will be to the bus the next time it comes by),

Treat your job as if you were in business for yourself (you represent yourself through the product you produce).

Old 12-06-2019, 07:08 PM

4,964 posts, read 2,709,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
have a good attitude
good customer service

are those new? nope. are they vital? yup
Those used to be taken for granted, like breathing. Not anymore. Not today.

Oh, I'll add another one: Stay off your phone while you are working and are on company time. You are being paid to produce and add value to your organization, not cruise the Internet, text, or chat with friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment