Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 09:27 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times

Advertisements

Yes. Even in Silicon Valley it is worth the 50 mile commute from someplace with reasonable housing costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 09:38 AM

341 posts, read 292,951 times
$135k in Redwood Shores is considered just barely above low income. If there's other perks to offset the low pay, then it might be worth it to you to stay. I wouldn't....

Old 12-07-2019, 10:32 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
On a 1-10 scale, 10 being most desirable, what would be the desirability of a job like this compared to all other jobs? 10

On a 1-10 scale, 10 being most likely, what is the likelihood of replacing a job like this with something similar in today's job market? 1

Unless you haven't checked, the way to raise your pay is to jump from ship to ship; every 2-3 years.

Trying to understand if a job like this is too precious to give up.[/quote]

That does depend on your willingness to work elsewhere.

But wondering if you have already bought your place, are buying or what. Have you looked around for similar positions?

Old 12-07-2019, 10:51 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,662,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
  • in financial field
  • leads projects to develop software/tools for industry professionals (work nature borderlines Fintech)
  • pays USD 135k per year
  • 8-hr work schedule but requires work that really can be done in 2-3 hours if done efficiently
  • somewhat flexible start/end hours
  • requires financial knowledge but with knowledge the job can be done with eyes closed
  • not much stress overall
  • 26 days of annual vacation
  • medical, dental insurance
  • reasonable management team
  • cordial and friendly teammates
  • no staff supervisory responsibility
  • office work environment in corporate park setting
  • beautiful young workers all around
  • convenient public transportation
  • progressive corporate culture (stress work/life balance, career growth, reduce carbon footprint, and all those trendy stuff)
  • global company with decent job stability

On a 1-10 scale, 10 being most desirable, what would be the desirability of a job like this compared to all other jobs?

On a 1-10 scale, 10 being most likely, what is the likelihood of replacing a job like this with something similar in today's job market?

Trying to understand if a job like this is too precious to give up.
Talk about a subjective question! For me, this one's a non-starter. I don't know or have enough interest in the financial field. It would be a big pay cut, and more restrictive schedule. And "progressive corporate culture" quickly becomes extremely toxic if you aren't "progressive" enough for them... the moment you disagree on some critical topic, you're PNGed.

Old 12-07-2019, 11:02 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
........8-hr work schedule but requires work that really can be done in 2-3 hours if done efficiently....

If you are the only employee being paid for 8 hours of work while you only do two hours, and they really need the work done, your job might be relatively safe.

If there are ten employees each getting paid for 10 hours while they do 2 hours of work, eventually, someone will notice that the company is paying for 100 hours of work and only receiving 20 hours of work for their money.. There are going to be some serious lay-offs. 75% of the workforce could be fired and the same amount of work would still get done.

Of course, even if you are the only employee, at some point a foreign worker will get your job for half the salary, unless you have job skills so unique that no one else can do your job, which I doubt.

Keep your skills up to date and be prepared to jump ship at short notice. Don't let it take you by surprise when your company decides you are replaceable.

Old 12-07-2019, 11:06 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
[list]
I would assume you're getting an even better job.

Old 12-07-2019, 12:01 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
How does this compare to my job?

in financial field my job is in Engineering
Leads projects to develop software/tools for industry professionals I am a Project Manager and Senior Designer
Pays USD 135k per year don't make that much, but I live in a low COL area, so it could be equivalent
8-hr work schedule but requires work that really can be done in 2-3 hours if done efficiently yep
Somewhat flexible start/end hours yep, very flexible, actually
Requires financial knowledge but with knowledge the job can be done with eyes closed replace Financial with Engineering
Not much stress overall yep
26 days of annual vacation yep, more than that
Medical, dental insurance yup, life and disability insurance, too
Reasonable management team yep
Cordial and friendly teammates yep
No staff supervisory responsibility yep, I'm no one's boss
Office work environment in corporate park setting office work, no park
Beautiful young workers all around there are some
Convenient public transportation I have cars, don't care about this
Progressive corporate culture (stress work/life balance, career growth, reduce carbon footprint, and all those trendy stuff)
got the 1st two, otherwise don't care
Global company with decent job stability global company has been in business since the 1800's
I also know many things no one else knows, which makes the chances of sticking around MUCH higher
If things go south it can be the difference between staying and going... being a "go to guy" is a very good thing

Quote:
On a 1-10 scale, 10 being most desirable, what would be the desirability of a job like this compared to all other jobs?

On a 1-10 scale, 10 being most likely, what is the likelihood of replacing a job like this with something similar in today's job market?
I've had this job for 27 years, so I'm definitely staying.
You didn't mention the company valuing experience (mine does) and they don't make you retire (mine doesn't).
That's probably not very "Progressive". They like to throw out the old guy, so I'll stick with traditional management, thanks.

Chances of finding another like it... nearly zero.

Quote:
Yes.

Last edited by eaton53; 12-07-2019 at 12:40 PM..

Old 12-07-2019, 12:35 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
  • in financial field
  • leads projects to develop software/tools for industry professionals (work nature borderlines Fintech)
  • pays USD 135k per year
  • 8-hr work schedule but requires work that really can be done in 2-3 hours if done efficiently
  • somewhat flexible start/end hours
  • requires financial knowledge but with knowledge the job can be done with eyes closed
  • not much stress overall
  • 26 days of annual vacation
  • medical, dental insurance
  • reasonable management team
  • cordial and friendly teammates
  • no staff supervisory responsibility
  • office work environment in corporate park setting
  • beautiful young workers all around
  • convenient public transportation
  • progressive corporate culture (stress work/life balance, career growth, reduce carbon footprint, and all those trendy stuff)
  • global company with decent job stability

I see the job is in Redwood Shores which is just a couple miles away from where I was born in 1948!

$135k sound good at first but it isn't a big ringer to some but.... take a look at the two bedroom one bathroom house where the family lived when I was born....

The far right window was my bedroom that I shared with two sisters. It was the way everyone lived in 1948.

For those who are not into the cost of bay area housing how much do you figure that luxurious home with a single car garage is appraised at?

$1.7 million. Yes, you can buy that mansion maybe for $1.7 million dollars. Not a typo.

Let's figure a 10% down payment which is only $170,000 which leaves $1,530,000 to be financed.

A 30 year loan at 4.5% will run only $7,752.29/month or only $93,027.48 but that doesn't include property taxes (at least $1,500/month) or other generally higher than average cost of living items but where else can you purchase a house like that for only $1.7 million?

I am not nearly as well paid earning a low wage of only $75,000 but running it through the this cost of living calculator

Quote:
A salary of $75,000 in Grove City, Ohio should increase to $310,399 in San Carlos, California (assumptions include Homeowner, no Child Care, and Taxes are not considered"
Salary amounts don't impress me because it is all about where you live not how much you make.

To answer your question I don't think you are being paid half of what you should be paid.

Last edited by Yac; 11-18-2020 at 01:50 AM..

Old 12-07-2019, 08:19 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Says the guy complaining about every possible job that one can get is like Starbucks...no wonder you can’t get a job as an accountant, you are saying $135k in a high COL area is pittance and it’s only decent in flyover country. You’re completely out of touch with reality.
Clearly you don't live in Silicon Valley.

Let me guess, you're a bankruptcy attorney? You seem to want people to go bankrupt.

nicet4's post just above this post nicely shows how you are out of touch with reality.

$135K is nothing in Silicon Valley.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:58 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
"Beautiful, young workers all around"?
Lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment