Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 08:28 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times

Advertisements

I've had eight jobs in the ten years since I graduated from college. I wish I had the opportunity to get into the government.

It took many years for me to even get to government pay levels in the private sector. Some of those private sector jobs had no benefits of any kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2020, 08:31 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
When you are all done at 55 and sitting on your porch with a very nice, secure, pension, let the haters squawk. Their having six jobs and no secure retirement suddenly comes into the glare of daylight and your situation looks very attractive. Plenty of "i wish i had..."

You lag in income now compared to the private sector; you will shine later on in life. Let the haters hate. Never, ever tell them your salary, nor your retirement income.
I look forward to being in that position at 45 with my military pension

Old 11-16-2020, 09:06 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,405,904 times
As we say in my sista circle, “Girl, you betta keep that good gov’ment job.”

Other posters have outlined the myriad of benefits working for the government in this and the other thread, so I’m not going to rehash. Except to emphasize that a lot of companies in the private sector are facing layoffs now because of the pandemic, my company included. You wouldn’t have to worry about that working for the government.

Can you do paralegal on the side? Or freelance on the side? That way, you still have the benefits of the government gig, plus you get to work on what you really want to do. It’d be easier to focus on your paralegal biz when you’re not worried about how your bills are getting paid.

Old 11-16-2020, 09:20 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
As we say in my sista circle, “Girl, you betta keep that good gov’ment job.”

Other posters have outlined the myriad of benefits working for the government in this and the other thread, so I’m not going to rehash. Except to emphasize that a lot of companies in the private sector are facing layoffs now because of the pandemic, my company included. You wouldn’t have to worry about that working for the government.

Can you do paralegal on the side? Or freelance on the side? That way, you still have the benefits of the government gig, plus you get to work on what you really want to do. It’d be easier to focus on your paralegal biz when you’re not worried about how your bills are getting paid.
While some states and localities will be facing government layoffs or furloughs/reductions in pay/etc., I agree that government work generally is more stable and secure than private sector employment.

For the life of me, I do not understand why some of my friends are still trying to leave service (they are done deploying, too, so it's not that, but rather an outlook of the grass is greener on the other side thing), especially when there is still much uncertainty about the labor force going forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment