Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 08:54 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times

Advertisements

This is so completely bogus, to charge employees with so-called training. Even legit training is of benefit to the employers and there should be no charge to the employee.

"More US Employers Are Trapping Workers in a New Form of Indentured Servitude"

https://truthout.org/articles/more-u...red-servitude/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 10:55 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Employees don't need employers to trap them into bad jobs. They trap themselves into bad jobs all the time with a variety of negative thinking/philosophy, some of which is espoused here.

I don't consider low paying jobs like Dunkin Donuts to be bad jobs in that way. They might be undesirable because they pay low, but they are generally low stress, zero liability.

Old 09-19-2022, 11:12 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
This is like with the manufacturing worker shortage. The companies were saying there are not enough qualified Americans to do those jobs.

Well, no duh. You are not offering to pay for training. If you did, then you can easily supply yourself with as many qualified workers as you need. But no you expect the employee to train themselves on something that might be obsolete a year down the road, without any guarantee you will hire that exact person.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:29 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
This is like with the manufacturing worker shortage. The companies were saying there are not enough qualified Americans to do those jobs.

Well, no duh. You are not offering to pay for training. If you did, then you can easily supply yourself with as many qualified workers as you need. But no you expect the employee to train themselves on something that might be obsolete a year down the road, without any guarantee you will hire that exact person.
Have you hired for jobs which include on the job training in the last year or so? Duh!

Old 09-20-2022, 06:45 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
This isn't new.

At most places, if you take advantage of any sort of tuition benefit or paid certification training, there's often a stipulation that you have to remain at that employer for so long, often years, or else you end up having to pay that benefit back in full.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:49 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This isn't new.

At most places, if you take advantage of any sort of tuition benefit or paid certification training, there's often a stimulation that you have to remain at that employer for so long, often years, or else you end up having to pay that benefit back in full.
Very true. I've seen this going on for decades, including non-compete clauses.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:51 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Very true. I've seen this going on for decades, including non-compete clauses.
That's why I've never used these benefits.

You could easily take advantage of the benefit, get laid off/fired, then be on the hook for the benefit as well.

Old 09-20-2022, 07:22 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,749 times
I experienced something similar in the 90's with a staffing agency. They stated I would have to pay a penalty fee if I left before a year was up. I had never heard of that. I wouldn't sign anything, and I looked elsewhere.

Old 09-20-2022, 07:23 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
The article is a load of crap, and the condition is absolutely nothing like indentured servitude. The employee is agreeing to an obligation in exchange for a job and training. The only thing that can be debated is whether the obligation is reasonable or not. If you don't like the conditions, don't accept the job. Repayment agreements are fairly common in health care, as well as policing.

Old 09-20-2022, 07:53 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
This is so completely bogus, to charge employees with so-called training. Even legit training is of benefit to the employers and there should be no charge to the employee.

"More US Employers Are Trapping Workers in a New Form of Indentured Servitude"

https://truthout.org/articles/more-u...red-servitude/
I was reading about this when I was unemployed during Covid, and I was looking at work from home jobs. There are many big companies, that will pay you to be customer service from your home, however you have to pay for your own training and equipment. Many people stated that once they started the work, they did not get nearly as much as they were led to believe they would get paid. The computerized requirements were ridiculous, phone calls had to last more than 2 minutes but less than 15 minutes, things like that. But there’s nothing the customer service rep can do if the person wants to hang up, or wants to stay on longer. But some people said they were let go because they had too many short phone calls too many long phone calls etc., and they were simply out the money they spent on the training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment