Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 09:53 AM

617 posts, read 933,827 times

Advertisements

I applied for a position and they said no. They told me there is a new manager and he is new to the job so needs someone with experience as opposed to training someone who wants to broaden his skill set like me.

They did offer me another opportunity which I have never pursued. They said there would be a 3 week trial run to see how I do. I dont know exactly what this role is. I do know the person in it is overworked and has mentioned many times she needs help. She logs in after dinner many times. A couple coworkers mentioned they didnt like when they did it a few months when a prior person quit a few years ago. That person quit because he was overworked.

So this position I am immediately looking at as problematic. I have a family and need work life balance, plus worker satisfaction does not seem great. However, if it is a 3 week trial run then I have nothing to lose and I can see the full picture? Maybe it is not as bad. I am kind of nervous. The offer came as a bit of a surprise and actually I want to talk to my manager again and make sure there is no misunderstanding. What if I dont like it? Do I just say I want to keep my other job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 02:09 PM

204 posts, read 119,898 times
You can't have the promotion because as usual, your new boss has no idea how to do the job so he'll need someone underneath him to do it for him.

Old 05-25-2020, 02:24 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,019,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
I applied for a position and they said no. They told me there is a new manager and he is new to the job so needs someone with experience as opposed to training someone who wants to broaden his skill set like me.

They did offer me another opportunity which I have never pursued. They said there would be a 3 week trial run to see how I do. I dont know exactly what this role is. I do know the person in it is overworked and has mentioned many times she needs help. She logs in after dinner many times. A couple coworkers mentioned they didnt like when they did it a few months when a prior person quit a few years ago. That person quit because he was overworked.

So this position I am immediately looking at as problematic. I have a family and need work life balance, plus worker satisfaction does not seem great. However, if it is a 3 week trial run then I have nothing to lose and I can see the full picture? Maybe it is not as bad. I am kind of nervous. The offer came as a bit of a surprise and actually I want to talk to my manager again and make sure there is no misunderstanding. What if I dont like it? Do I just say I want to keep my other job?
Not sure what your question is but, yes, those are questions directed at whoever is making the offer.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:59 PM

22,928 posts, read 18,230,585 times
Quote:

Confusing. This "opportunity" is one that you don't know anything about other than hearsay. You don't know whether that type of work would suit you, challenge you, or repel you. Maybe the trial run would be worth something as long as they commit to letting you back out at the end of the 3 weeks. I'd want to know whether the job (if you took it) would double the number of people handling the current workload. If the currently overworked person can finally split the load, it may work out fine.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Confusing. This "opportunity" is one that you don't know anything about other than hearsay. You don't know whether that type of work would suit you, challenge you, or repel you. Maybe the trial run would be worth something as long as they commit to letting you back out at the end of the 3 weeks. I'd want to know whether the job (if you took it) would double the number of people handling the current workload. If the currently overworked person can finally split the load, it may work out fine.
Yes confusing. That is what I want to make sure of. Can I get back to my old job. I would imagine so if it is a trial run.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:38 PM

128,164 posts, read 11,824,121 times
Quote:
Yes confusing. That is what I want to make sure of. Can I get back to my old job. I would imagine so if it is a trial run.
You need to ask them. Does the new position come with any pay rise or other benefit for you?

Old 05-25-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
You need to ask them. Does the new position come with any pay rise or other benefit for you?
They told me that would be discussed after the trial run

Old 05-26-2020, 12:50 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,766,385 times
It may seem odd, but rather than prematurely asking strangers second and third level questions, I would consider speaking to the person currently holding the job to discover as much about it as possible.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:34 AM

12,066 posts, read 23,124,117 times
They are offering you a pig in a poke. You need to ask some pointed questions.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:04 AM

2,109 posts, read 1,300,638 times
Somebody just care about the name Manager too much. I hate to be a micro and unfair manager. And I hate to listen to employees' whining and complaining so much. You have to listen to every little details in their life, from headaches, backaches, constipations, diarrheas, car accidents, deaths, births, breakups, divorces, conflicts, fightings among them at work, etc… No amount of money can make me happy to have to listen to all those, and I might become mental.

I just care to have a good job with good pay and do it well and spend and invest my money wisely and make it to grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment