Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 07:07 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times

Advertisements

I'm on the last week of my current job. It is bigger sweet. I did not enjoy my time there, and the pay cut was just the icing on the cake. With that said, due to a lot of critical issues going on, my company tried very hard to retain me. And they decided to put forth a lot of counter offers to get me to stay.

I've been counter offered in the past, but not nearly as heavily this time around. General rule. I never accept counter offers.

I've always been told that you should never take counter offers. Because chances are once you take it, the company goal is to make your life as miserable as possible, suck the life out of you, and toss you out on the streets.

But I'm curious, have any of you ever taken counter offers? How did it work out? Things go back to normal? Or did they make your life hell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 07:33 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I'm on the last week of my current job. It is bigger sweet. I did not enjoy my time there, and the pay cut was just the icing on the cake. With that said, due to a lot of critical issues going on, my company tried very hard to retain me. And they decided to put forth a lot of counter offers to get me to stay.

I've been counter offered in the past, but not nearly as heavily this time around. General rule. I never accept counter offers.

I've always been told that you should never take counter offers. Because chances are once you take it, the company goal is to make your life as miserable as possible, suck the life out of you, and toss you out on the streets.

But I'm curious, have any of you ever taken counter offers? How did it work out? Things go back to normal? Or did they make your life hell?
First - to the bolded. This MAY refer to a specific person that you work for/with. But in general, no one really gives a crap. Put yourself in that position - someone you work with was leaving and decided to stay because of a counter offer.... how much do you really care?

That said - your situation does shed light on why counteroffer exists - a lot of issues going on. So basically, you're being asked to stay on to resolve these issues.... once resolved, what then? Is this counter worth giving up the new opportunity that was offered ... in the long run?

In most cases, counters are not worth it because they rarely change the actual issues. Salary alone is not the only factor people leave. Not to mention that once you resign, your loyalty/interest is questioned. This doesn't mean it NEVER works out. But every situation is different.

Just my .02.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:38 AM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
I've only seen someone get a counteroffer once. As for how he was treated, things never left normal. He was treated the same afterward as before. No on resented anything or tried to make his life hell. He was a valuable member of the team and treated like such.

However he kicked himself multiple times for not taking the original offer. Not because of anything anyone did but because he wondered what he'd passed up.

Other than that, never seen a counter offer made. I personally don't make them because I don't have any personal stake in their choices. Instead of taking it as an insult that someone leaves, I consider that I'm planting seeds in other places that will remember me some day.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:45 AM

989 posts, read 1,876,985 times
I thought counteroffers went the way of the dinosaurs being that so many people are out there looking for work, and would likely do it for cheaper. On a more serious note, counteroffers are not worth the headaches that come with having to bring the situation to a head to get a counteroffer.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:11 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,371,317 times
Quote:
Good companies know from experience that once someone has decided to leave, even if they give them a counter offer to stay, they end of leaving soon anyway.

Many people like to tell war stories of how they were to leave, and boss decided they couldn't live without them, and made a counter to get them to stay. They tell these stories to impress people, but in reality they have cheated themselves each time they stay with a counteroffer. Yes, you might work there another 15 years, but you have no idea how management has not been rewarding you as they should because of that counteroffer.

I have been given counter offers to keep me there, but I politely turned them down. The reason they do this, is you caught them off-guard and now isn't a good time for them to go recruiting and getting someone else up to speed. It has very little to do that they value you so much, because if they did, they would have been giving you more money along the way and listening to you more.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:02 AM

204 posts, read 121,075 times
I think it depends largely on your employer. I had one where you were either actively trying to move up or you were being actively pushed out. You were either actively committed to their "dream" or you were a non-believer. It was best that you leave once you made it known that you wanted to leave.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:13 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,838 times
No.

Counter offers only exist as a ploy to buy the employer more time to replace you. Then you're laid off when you least expect it, and you lost TWO jobs.

If they really, really valued you, they would have worked out the issues that caused you to walk out the door, without the threat of you leaving.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:21 PM

4,962 posts, read 2,709,998 times
Quote:

Did they offer you more money if you were to stay? Would they give you a pay cut again later if you decided to stay? Would you enjoy your time there any better if you stay? The fact that they cut your pay tells me there is no future there for you. Unless you enjoy pay cuts.

Old 05-28-2020, 01:48 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Did they offer you more money if you were to stay? Would they give you a pay cut again later if you decided to stay? Would you enjoy your time there any better if you stay? The fact that they cut your pay tells me there is no future there for you. Unless you enjoy pay cuts.
They were going to restore my pay back to the normal rate if I had stayed. I left because the manager threatened me. When they eventually came with pay cuts, it had reached the point of no return. Where I could have forgiven the manager, the paycut was what sealed the deal.

My manager told me that they would do anything in their power to restore my pay. And that they really needed me to stay. I decline all request and left.

Even if I were to chase the money. Restoring my pay wouldn't have helped because the newer job pays substantially more even prior to the cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment