Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 11:36 AM

2,666 posts, read 2,222,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
He's going to need to find a new career.. His career as a nurse is done.

Noone will hire him as a nurse with that conviction. And that conviction will never go away.

Can he do other things? Absolutely. But.. Medical field is likely out, anything education is out.. Anything where he'd have contact with kids is out.

He needs to learn some sort of construction related trade and buy some boots and tools. That's the best income he's going to have, and it's not that bad. He can make money and go into business for himself eventually. Lots of guys with bad pasts in that career field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 06:17 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,282,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Then why aren't you doing that making 6-7 figures and showing us all how easy it is.
Maybe I'm happy with what I do and the money I make, or maybe I'm already on YouTube making 6-7 figures, remember money isn't everything, I would put good health and time over money!

Old 07-20-2020, 12:21 AM

21,714 posts, read 24,949,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundestroyer View Post
I live in Ireland so it may be different in the States but I know here after a certain time, any criminal convictions you have become spent and thus you don't have to declare it

The reason I ask is because one of my friends in America was convicted of underage sex (he's 21, she's 15). He received probation but now has lost his job as a nurse and can't find another one. How hard will it be to find another job?

Is his life really worth it at this point given how tarnishing a record is?
Raping a minor, yeah, very signifant. Almost any professional job any kind of felony conviction is already a issue and raping a minor is up there as felonies go. Plus sex offender status is also a big red flag. Construction, trucking, et cetera might be options. Lots of ex cons in those fields but the sex offender status would still be a barrier.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:18 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,234,786 times
I have a close family member in a very similar situation. Megan's Law and the sex offender registry are wildly different from state to state. Whether he gets a good job depends on a lot of different factors. What he was actually convicted off, if he is required to register, what kind of registration he is required to have and how long its been since he was convicted.

For example, in NJ there are 3 tiers of registration. 1st level is only the police see the registration and youre required to check in with the police in your town 1 time per year, are supervised by the state parole board for ever basically. But its really not a big deal. This is offenses like statutory rape, attempting to corrupt a minor, non predatory offenses. Level 2 is a limited public registry and is for level 3 offenders who have not had any issues for many years. Level 3 is public registry, notification to neighbors when they move there, cant be near a school or interact with children, possibly even their own children. This is predatory sex offenses, violent rapes, child molestation etc.

Florida on the other hand requires all sex offenses to be publicly registered and to notify the neighborhood, cant be within 1000 ft of school, daycare or nursing home or spend any time in a place where children gather.

It really varies from place to place. I bet more of you live near sex offenders than you know because there are non-public registries in a lot of places for non violent low risk offenders. Additionally if he was convicted more than 7 to 10 years ago it starts to matter a lot less if there is nothing else on their record.

My family member is a level 1 offender in NJ, is only mildly inconvenienced by his registration and it happened 15 years ago when he was a young man. He is now very high level management in a fortune 500 company and makes really good money. After 15 years on NJ you can petition to be removed from the registry and parole supervision and you just live a normal life as a felon. You can also file for expunge of the crime if its been 15 years, youve successfully been removed from the registry, are not considered a risk to the community and pass a psychological exam as long as your crime wasnt violent.

Old 12-19-2020, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 157 times
You can always try this site. It shows a lot of companies that hire felons: https://www.jailtojob.com/companies-hire-felons.html

Old 12-20-2020, 07:14 AM

50,470 posts, read 36,126,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundestroyer View Post
I live in Ireland so it may be different in the States but I know here after a certain time, any criminal convictions you have become spent and thus you don't have to declare it

The reason I ask is because one of my friends in America was convicted of underage sex (he's 21, she's 15). He received probation but now has lost his job as a nurse and can't find another one. How hard will it be to find another job?

Is his life really worth it at this point given how tarnishing a record is?
His is probably worse than a criminal record because he probably has to register as a sex offender. Sex offenders are generally prohibited from working anywhere near children, I suppose that could include a hospital.

My fiancé has a record but we are getting it expunged (it will no longer appear in any search). It costs $1200 which is well worth it. There had to be a certain number of time that has passed, maybe 5 years I forget. But I don't know if it extends to sex offense cases. We are lucky he has his own business so it's not as much of a big deal. But I have read of cases of sex offenders who can't ever get a job. One story the guy was convicted of downloading a video that featured a teen girl having sex, and it destroyed his entire life. Sex offenses are very different that other criminal convictions. It's very unfair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment